Apple's surprise new products, or big updates.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

August: New iMac and matching keyboard (as per popular belief)

Basically a desktop-version of the current 17" MBP

Will be presented during a last minute special event

September:
    New Mac Pro (dual quad-cores across the line and newer GPUs, still same motherboards as now) (quiet update)

New iPod, 60 and 100GB, a bit slimmer design, updated GUI and maybe a bigger screen.

October:
    Leopard release

Updated iPod Shuffle (quiet update) 1GB or 2GB

November: New iPod nano, upped to 4, 8, 12GB (maybe 16) sizes (quiet update)

Incremental Updated Macbook (quiet update) - Santa Rosa

iTS gets HD content and AppleTV price drops or gets 80Gb base-model drive

December: Nothing

January: New design for the Mac mini

13" inch ultra-flat portable, similar to MB but much slimmer. Almost no frame around the screen itself. Magnesium+Alu.

February: Incremental Macbook Pro update (quiet update) - PenrynAirport Express is quietly dropped

March: Update to Mac Pro line with intels next Xeon CPUs

apple may want to move to the newer xeon chipset that drops FB-DIMMS and adds more pci-e lanes. Sooner then next year.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I hope Murch is right.

Yes, me too
  • Reply 63 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I can't help but think those new iMacs wont arrive until at least mid August for some reason.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    New iMac: 20" 22" 24" Besides the design change..better be a good one; i'm hoping for a more expandable machine. if not give us a mid tower. damn it

New iPod Video: iPhone look alike but with HDD - PSP KILLER (Nintendo DS forever)

New Ultra Portable Macbook Pro: 11.1" and 13.3" - How hard can it be?

New Leopard Features: More secrets - Damn you Steve lol

New mac mini: don't kill it, just make it better and cheaper. - Now that Vista is out and made of crap Steve should know better.

New Mac: The Mid tower that SJ won't give us.. it won't replace the mini - damn you again lol

New Cinema displays: the iMac is already 24" so we know the 23" is out right? I would like to see : 20" 22" 24" - (30" is just for "millionairs" ) damn bring those prices down a bit more.

New job for me: how am i gonna buy all those things...

• Reply 65 of 98
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Head_Knocker View Post

Am I the only one here suffering with the wait for some new cinema displays?

I'm waiting for them to get my Mac pro!!!!!

Probably not. I expect a built in iSight at the least and it's going to match the new Mac Pro design that we are all waiting to see. I love it when Apple revamps the flagship.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    MODIFIED i-Phone: I'd like to see Apple move perhaps to a modular concept. Since the storage capacity of the i-Phone is so damned poor, why not have snap in components to allow for different uses. The basic big size touch screen i-Phone would be the main unit, then by means of a removable back, you could "snap" on a high capacity HDD, a TV tuner, bar code scanner, etc.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    OK, My list

This year

• redesign iMac

• redesign MacPro around October (or at the latest beginning of next year)

• Alongside MacPro, new cinema displays 20", 24", 30" and a 40" plus (or at the latest beginning of next year)

• iPod touchscreen/widescreen 6g 80gig/120gig

• low profile and cheaper iPhone Nano

next year

• ultra portable macbook at MWSF

• MacMini MWSF

• iLife 08 MWSF

• redesign MP and MBP later in the year (around WWDC)

• AppleTV 2.0, 1080p support, larger drive and 7.1 audio

• iTunes with 1080p movies and TV shows

• movie and tv rentals

• iPhone 2.0 larger storage and 3g.

Let's see folks!
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

? iPhone 2.0 larger storage and 3g.

iPhone needs more than just that though.

At the least:

? 3G

? A2DP = Play Music via bluetooth.

?*More Storage

?*some basic application improvements. (for instance in mail you have to delete all your unwanted emails one by one. Ridiculous!)

? Maybe a GPS that works with google maps.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Perhaps Apple should rebrand the Mac mini. Make it the Apple TV Extreme, and make the Apple TV the Apple TV express.

I was thinking along those lines.. and if Sony can shift a few more PS3s perhaps the Blu-Ray drive will get cheap enough to put in it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

I'd like to see Apple move perhaps to a modular concept.

And I'd like the moon to be made of cheese; but it isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    big_albig_al Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I was thinking along those lines.. and if Sony can shift a few more PS3s perhaps the Blu-Ray drive will get cheap enough to put in it.

And I'd like the moon to be made of cheese; but it isn't going to happen.

Wishing the moon was made of cheese has no viable value, but my wish list would certainly interest buyers.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

Baloney.

Apple may not WANT the mini and appleTV to compete, but they do. I had to seriously consider which device would drive my HDTV. Thousands of other consumers are trying to make the same decision I did. Most are waiting on the sidelines and thus poor sales numbers for the mini and the appleTV.

Apple is going so far as to tell its "Geniuses" in the apple stores to "educate" customers that the Mac Mini really doesn't have the video memory necessary to drive an HDTV. I found out the truth from personal experience, and from reading the web, that the mini is a far better video output device than appleTV. I am watching HiDef television, both real time and time-shifted, on my Mini, as well as playing DVDs, iTunes, etc. It's a true HD multimedia system.

Sorry appleTV, you lose. You don't do HiDef, you don't play DVDs, and you can't display live TV. Three strikes, you're out.

Don't think that the iphone and itv aren't programable. it's all about the software . Future hardware will be changeable.. duh,, present already is . Apple is looking so far ahead you can even imagine.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Before updating the MacPro they have to wait for the new intel motherboard stuff so that they can scrap those expensive and rellatively speaking high latency fully buffered DIMMs and use the cheaper and faster RDIMMS
  • Reply 73 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'd kill for a desktop under $2000 that matches my needs better than it does my girlfriend's purse.

Something like this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Veloc...oductDetail.do
  • Reply 74 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can't help but think those new iMacs wont arrive until at least mid August for some reason.

Apple has to make an entrance, and they'll wait months to do it.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Mac Pro;

All New Enclosure. Same size same dimensions. New Look.

Options.

? Two Xeon 3.0GHz Core 2 Extreme QX6850 processors (8-core) (possibly Xeon 5400 Processors, but these can be OC's to 4.0+GHz)

? Two dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E6850 (quad-core)

? Memory up to 16 (or 32)GB - Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM.

? 3 or 4 Configurable PCI-E lanes. Two True 16X PCI-E lanes possible.

? HDCP Ready Graphics

? Updated graphics cards. EFI only in BTO from Apple store. New Cards. GeForce 8800 GTX, and GeForce 8800 Ultra, and the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 is still available.

? BIOS cards available Running on OS X. NON - BTO & Leopard Only! Drivers available for Nvidia Quadro FX cards, including X2 cards, and GeForce 7 and 8 Series cards also including X2 cards. ATI drivers also available. (Almost all cards right away)

? Hard drive storage up to 4TB

? Up to two Super-Drives

? AirPort Extreme

? Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

? 6 USB Ports 2 in front.

? 4 IEEE-1394 FireWire Ports 2 in Front.

That's what I expect to see for the Mac Pro. Without a possibility of using BIOS based cards, the Mac Pro is still going to lag in graphics to most of us, and continue to be the thorn in the side of many would be switchers. Apple needs to come to the party, and bring some party favors.

If you're right about the Mac Pro, then i'm definitely selling mine before they come out with new ones. What do you think about Displays?
  • Reply 76 of 98
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'd kill for a desktop under $2000 that matches my needs better than it does my girlfriend's purse.

Something like this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Veloc...oductDetail.do

And I'd bet that Apple would correctly describe this desktop. Under the Features for the desktop you provided a link to, it plainly states,"High-end audio/video: This notebook features advanced NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS graphics and 320MB of dedicated video memory, an addition to the main system memory. This high-end memory is great for more demanding games or video editing."

Then again maybe Apple would be using a notebook GPU.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    For those of you who are waiting for the new cinema displays, I’m actually also was thinking of it but what can now be done in LCD display, apple is not a company that releases new product just because they made new design or updated the specifications a bit. There is a huge space for improvement in LED backlight but it is expensive – remember the NEC monitors three times the price of a usual one? Apple doesn’t have a praline like EIZO does (23 inches for 5000 usd), may be they will release some kind of Professionals targeted display, but I doubt that, and in usual display like cinema displays I can’t imagine an update forth running a new production line.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Sony's VAIO Digital Living System and TP Series Living Room PC

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=30348

Sony's All in One Desktop PC

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=30346
  • Reply 79 of 98
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

If you're right about the Mac Pro, then i'm definitely selling mine before they come out with new ones. What do you think about Displays?

I think that was his "Wish List".
  • Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I think that was his "Wish List".

That was mostly what I expect but a few were hopefulls.

Posting from my iPhone.