Apple KOP: We'll Fix your in-warranty MBP for $100

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yup. another day, another pain in my fucking ass Apple Store experience. As I posted in the iPhone forum in response, I had another appointment for my already repaired MBP latch today. I also noticed the battery was down to about 60% capacity after 8 months.

Now keep in mind, Apple King of Prussia, PA already repaired the latch. The button was stuck in for no reason. This time they told me that there were "pebbles" down inside the mechanism, and tried to blow them out with compressed air. I told them there were no "pebbles" and that this was a recurring problem.

So then the guy told he would check it in, but if they had to take it apart (which they would) it would be a $90 labor charge. He also proceeded to tell me that a battery that lasts no more than two hours after 8 months was "within spec." Now I realize batteries are consumable. I once threw a fit over being told the same thing on an 18 month old machine...but not 8 fucking months under the original warranty!

I have no doubt that this "genius" was told to find every reason not to replace batteries and give service for no charge. No doubt. Every time I talk with them it's like I have to fight to have a simple thing done...that after waiting two days for an appointment. This machine is under warranty and used normally..I take care of battery appropriately too.

So anyway...I left and pretty much told him I've had enough of the whole store (see my thread a few months back). I took it home and made a careful attempt to repair the latch myself. I followed online instructions and got the case off, and gee...guess what...no fucking "pebbles." the problem is the spring mechanism is in the wrong place and moves too far forward and backwards in the case. I tried to fix it, but I'm having limited success finding the right position. It's just finicky....in other words...like I said...it's a design issue.

Anyway...just my report. I am really, really starting the hate the Apple store all the way around.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Call Cupertino and complain.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've seen people who have had great experiences with the Apple stores and then other people, such as yourself, who have had crappy ones.\
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Apple should really have finished with the mechanical latch on the MBP by now. Magnets are the way forward. I wonder if that would magnetize the whole case though.

The battery problem is not really to do with Apple. They don't design the batteries, they just buy them. I used to have a laptop and fully expected around 3 hours on my g3 ibook after a few months. Battery technology is terrible and hasn't really progressed that much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

I once threw a fit over being told the same thing on an 18 month old machine.

Yeah but when though and on what machine? Slower machines lasted longer.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple should really have finished with the mechanical latch on the MBP by now. Magnets are the way forward. I wonder if that would magnetize the whole case though.

The battery problem is not really to do with Apple. They don't design the batteries, they just buy them. I used to have a laptop and fully expected around 3 hours on my g3 ibook after a few months. Battery technology is terrible and hasn't really progressed that much.

Yeah but when though and on what machine? Slower machines lasted longer.

It was a PB 1.25ghz. It was 2 years ago or so. Anyway...update...I fixed it myself. Bastards! I agree they need a mag latch.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I hate going to the Apple store for service. I had to call AppleCare and meet a guy at my house to get my Rev A iMac G5 fixed because the Apple store told me my problem was due to bad electricity coming to my house. The 3rd party contractor replaced the power supply in my iMac and it's worked fine ever since.

I hate the Apple store 'geniuses'. They're frickin clueless.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I hate going to the Apple store for service. I had to call AppleCare and meet a guy at my house to get my Rev A iMac G5 fixed because the Apple store told me my problem was due to bad electricity coming to my house. The 3rd party contractor replaced the power supply in my iMac and it's worked fine ever since.

I hate the Apple store 'geniuses'. They're frickin clueless.

You know, to me it's not that they are clueless. It's that it's a frickin puppet show. I am positive they are trained to be strict on battery replacements and warranty repair work. In my case the guy was just absurd....I mean, really...you have a stuck latch which you have repaired once before, and it's my fault? It's not like he even said "if we open it up and see its your fault, we have to charge you."

I'll go a step further: I hate the Apple store, period. As I've mentioned, I used to love it. I'd go play with the machines, etc. They were pretty low pressure too. Then the employees got younger, ruder, the store has gotten crazy-busy. Crazy. It was jammed on a Monday at 11 a.m.. Then no one is there to check you out. They totally ignore you at the genius bar until they yell your name for your appointment. I mean, they don't even LOOK at you.

I'm personally done with the store, unless I need something NOW. It's a 20 minute drive, and I often leave pissed off. I'm done. I'll buy their shit online and not deal with them anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have had both sides of that.

Just a few days ago I brought my iBook power adapter which was fraying and lit on fire. The guy there wouldn't repair it cuz I didn't bring my laptop with me. I came back three days later with my laptop and the guy told me to get a power adapter from teh shelf and swapped it out in under 2 minutes and never looked at my laptop or even asked my name.

I had 4 iPod minis and the 4th one was a new 2nd gen. I've had an overwhelmingly good experience but there's always a few times where they suck.