AT&T: 146,000 Apple iPhones activated in first two days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a feeling that many buyers were just excited about the non-phone functions and may have messed around with those features for hours or days before deciding whether or not to activate the phone.

You cannot access any of the phone's functions until you activate it.
  • Reply 22 of 132
    Quote:

So you just like their stock, huh?

I love there stock not just like it but love it i had their stock back from when it was worth 12 bucks and i love it. Always a good performer.
  • Reply 23 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hassanpr View Post

I love there stock not just like it but love it i had their stock back from when it was worth 12 bucks and i love it. Always a good performer.

Looks like we're on the same page...
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Last two grafs.

"Apple Exceeds 100 Percent Market Share in All Categories -- Shares Plunge" is a likely headline. WS Analysts are idiots.

Word in week 2 of sales was that ATT had activated hundreds of thousands of handsets.
  • Reply 25 of 132
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alasdair23 View Post

Dumb question, but:

When AT&T refer to activations, do they mean every handset or just those which were activated in-store by AT&T staff?

I guess the former.

Even Dumber question, but:

iPhone for sale June 29th and 30th, wasn't the 30th of June the last day of Apple's fiscal quarter and perhaps AT&T is obliging Apple on not reporting the next quarter's sales/activations/profit potential etc.?

Just a thought.

And had 500,000 iPhone's were sold in first two days, Apple's stock would still be down because the analysts would be saying it fell short of the 1 million mark!
  • Reply 26 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post

Last two grafs.

"Apple Exceeds 100 Percent Market Share in All Categories -- Shares Plunge" is a likely headline. WS Analysts are idiots.

Word in week 2 of sales was that ATT had activated hundreds of thousands of handsets.

A trader is supposed to make money for his clients, but more importantly, for himself. You can always rely on their greed and short-term thinking. It's all part of the game.
  • Reply 27 of 132
    Also,

Let's not forget that a lot of people decided to buy their iPhones online which would be delivered later and I clearly remember most Apple stores being (red) or reporting being sold out right after the 31st.

So my advice is buy if you can ( Unfortunatly I'm out of money ) because after tomorrow's Apple report, it's going to be a steep climb ... so you better fasten up your seat belts
  • Reply 28 of 132
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Activation didn't go smoothly for everyone who purchased their phone the first weekend.

AT&T has since gotten this fixed with Apple's help.

This is stock speculation to lower the price before earnings Wednesday.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

And had 500,000 iPhone's were sold in first two days, Apple's stock would still be down because the analysts would be saying it fell short of the 1 million mark!

It's that damn tenured liberal media!
  • Reply 30 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Even Dumber question, but:

iPhone for sale June 29th and 30th, wasn't the 30th of June the last day of Apple's fiscal quarter and perhaps AT&T is obliging Apple on not reporting the next quarter's sales/activations/profit potential etc.?

Just a thought.

But are iPhone sales on track to meet or exceed Apple's projections?
  • Reply 31 of 132
    LOL, this shows you that you should never listen to rumors on the Net before you get the offical word from the horse's mouth. Numbers were "reported" as high 750K!
  • Reply 32 of 132
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I think that this was a strategic move on Apple's part. Get AT&T to pop the bubble two days before the Apple earnings report, and then announce something like "It took only 9 days to sell out the first million iPhones".
  • Reply 33 of 132
    If AAPL drops to around 137 or 136 just before today's close, I'll probably snag a big handful of shares. It's a good bet the news will be good tomorrow.

Last time this happened, I made 50% on my money in 3 months.
  • Reply 34 of 132
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    i also purchased an iPhone on that Friday evening, but I won't be activating it until August 20th, when my Verizon contract expires. I didn't want to risk not getting one and having to wait when I was ready to activate. I also like purchasing new Apple products in the excitement of the first day. It was an exciting and fun evening!
  • Reply 35 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If AAPL drops to around 137 or 136 just before today's close, I'll probably snag a big handful of shares. It's a good bet the news will be good tomorrow.

Last time this happened, I made 50% on my money in 3 months.

Good or not, will be good enough to make it rise? I think so, but I also have some doubts after today's drop from AT&T's activation announcement.

I have a limit order in for $137 that expires at the end of the day. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good or not, will be good enough to make it rise? I think so, but I also have some doubts after today's drop from AT&T's activation announcement.

I have a limit order in for $137 that expires at the end of the day. We'll see what happens.

OTOH, my CPO rose 7% today. Yeeeeaaah, boy!
  • Reply 37 of 132
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

So yeah, that's why this is bad news for Apple. Apple has been trading up up up every day in the past 3 months. Ever heard of buy the rumor, sell the news? Well, now you have.

Exactly! Apple's stock usually, if not always, goes down after the hype in the rumor mill is quelled with actual news releases.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    Doesn't look like AAPL will go lower than 138 today... yet....

Update: Just went to 136 1/2! Guess I bought me some more AAPL!
  • Reply 39 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Exactly! Apple's stock usually, if not always, goes down after the hype in the rumor mill is quelled with actual news releases.

This solidifies the observation that Gene Munster doesn't know jack. Pretty weak projections on his part.
  • Reply 40 of 132
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I have a feeling that many buyers were just excited about the non-phone functions and may have messed around with those features for hours or days before deciding whether or not to activate the phone.

Interesting feeling. What features were they playing with besides the power button?