Quanta lands orders for new Apple iPhone model - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quanta Computer Inc., one of Taiwan's leading mobile phone manufacturers, has acquired assembly orders from Apple Inc. for a new variant of iPhone due later this year, according to the Taiwan Economic News.

Without citing sources, the Far Eastern publication said PCB (printed circuit board) manufacturers are preparing to ship Apple component materials for a "mass production" ramp that will target availability of the new handsets for the fourth quarter of 2007.

"There is a rumor that Quanta has obtained orders for Apple's new models of iPhone cellphones," the report explains. "But Quanta and relevant firms are keeping [a] low profile as they are restricted from releasing any information under the business privacy terms reached with Apple."

The report by the Taiwan Economic News arrives on the heels of similar claims made by Commercial Times back in May. According to that report, Quanta was said to have received an initial order for five million iPhones from Apple with shipments to begin in September of this year, making it the second contract maker for the iPhone behind Foxconn.

"The iPhone produced by Foxconn is designated for the US market, and those manufactured by Quanta will be similar in function to those from Foxconn but with a different outer design to fit different markets," the report said.

Recently, reputable sources have told AppleInsider to expect a second iPhone model to arrive ahead of the holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    skylorskylor Posts: 15member
    Don't get your panties in a bunch over an iPhone Nano.

This is most likely the European iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Totally.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skylor View Post

I agree. Panties still smooth.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's hard to believe, though, that a Euro model would be significantly different from the US model, and not be available in the US.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's hard to believe, though, that a Euro model would be significantly different from the US model, and not be available in the US.

As different as a 3G chipset requires? (I have no idea if this is the case ... just dreaming.)

Here's hoping that *this* is the model that hits Canada.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I concur.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I read no indication that it would be significantly different. It may just be a 3G model for the EU with a slightly thicker casing to accommodate for a larger battery and the larger circuit board.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    4 weeks after release there are rumors of manufacturing a new model, but STILL no rumors or reports on manufacturing of a 6g iPod?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

4 weeks after release there are rumors of manufacturing a new model, but STILL no rumors or reports on manufacturing of a 6g iPod?

With the secrecy surrounding Apple's manufactures it's possible that this "different outer design" is really the 6G iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the secrecy surrounding Apple's manufactures it's possible that this "different outer design" is really the 6G iPod.

exactly what i was hinting at.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Don't get your panties in a bunch <snip>.

That's precisely the sort of news which would make me get my knickers in a knot (or panties in a bunch, if you like).
  • Reply 11 of 13
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I like how AI can't get their own threads in the correct forum.......
  • Reply 12 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

My first thought too, although the mere though of a touch screen iPhone nano is exciting.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

As different as a 3G chipset requires? (I have no idea if this is the case ... just dreaming.)

Here's hoping that *this* is the model that hits Canada.

The iPhone won't be in Canada in ANY form until Rogers and the rest of the carriers agree to make their data plans priced in line with the plans that AT&T has for the phone.

That's a big jump from the enormously high data plan prices we have now.

I'm sure that Apple has been talking to Rogers for a LONG time now, and Rogers just doesn't want to give up the lucrative data dollars.

They are surely waiting to see how big a hit the iPhone is, and how the profit margins would work out for them.

Until then, Apple can produce any number of iPhones, but they won't come to Canada until a large enough carrier will reduce the price of going online with the phone over the cellular service.

My toonie...