Ok people...iTunes 8. What's it gonna have?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perhaps they need to rename iTunes again?

iMedia

iPlay

iBuy

iWanna

iGotta

iGitchyGitchyYaYaYa
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That has irritated me to no end also. Great point.

Me, too.

I gave up and instead of:

UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury - Burn My Shadow

I've retagged everything like:

UNKLE - Burn My Shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)

Not fun.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    My list is simple

1 - Move music videos to a designated folder like Movies, TV Shows, and Podcasts have so I do not have to hear the same song twice while listening to an album. They should also get their own library that is displayed between Music and Movies.

2 - The sound from videos should be played through remote speakers connected with AirTunes and not the built-in speakers.

3 - A way to select just the songs that are not checked. My iPod is not able to hold all the songs in my library so it would be nice to see what is not checked so when I uncheck some songs it will be easier to select from the ones that aren't.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm going on record here and now by saying iTunes 8 is going to be a major new version. It may even be rewritten to the point of being considered a new platform. It could even be rebranded.

I'll expand my thoughts but here are some things I think will make it....

Wow, I actually liked ever idea you had!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Me, too.

I gave up and instead of:

UNKLE feat. Ian Astbury - Burn My Shadow

I've retagged everything like:

UNKLE - Burn My Shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)

Not fun.

I did the EXACT same thing! Wow I never thought anyone else did that. Everyone who sees it thinks I'm crazy, OCD and nit-picking but damnit it's necessary.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

2 - The sound from videos should be played through remote speakers connected with AirTunes and not the built-in speakers.

The audio sent to remote AirTunes devices is delayed. In order for this to work with video playback the video output would have to be delayed to match the audio. This would result in a delayed user experience as controls would not act as you would expect.

Apple TV
  • Reply 27 of 42
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

On the same track as the parental controls, give me the ability to toggle a check box to mark something as explicit or clean, like songs from the iTunes Music Store come. This would make parental controls much easier and allow me to have even more info about my music.

This is particularly important with an AppleTV in the loop. Media accessible to more than a single user really requires parental control.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I did the EXACT same thing! Wow I never thought anyone else did that. Everyone who sees it thinks I'm crazy, OCD and nit-picking but damnit it's necessary.

My iTunes library is a testament to OCD.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Another small thing I'd love to see is a "featured artist" field.

I don't like the fact that iTunes thinks

Stephen Marley and

Stephen Marley featuring Mos Def

are two seperate artists. Let me define the featured artist and choose to hide or show this field.

I'm having topic deja vu (from that other place)...

Some of my albums are split between as many as 20 artists because every track "features" different artists. Apple tried to fix this with the album artist tag. However they only got it half right. And unfortunately heir current implementation makes the tag pretty much useless. It really baffles me too. The solution seems so obvious and easy to implement.

What should be done is to have iTunes and iPods browse/sort/group by album artist instead of artist. If album artist is blank, it would use the value from artist instead.

Is there a downside to this? The only one I can think of is that the artist list would sort differently depending on the version of iTunes or iPod firmware. But then again, they already tread on that consistency by changing the way numerics are alphabetized.

So now I'm really puzzled. Why not adopt such an obvious solution?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    paul_tpaul_t Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Edit the times as needed, then use the 'Convert Selection to AAC/MP3' Option on the 'Advanced' menu to create a new file.

Cheers, although I've tried this before and it didnt work for me for some reason
  • Reply 31 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

iGitchyGitchyYaYaYa

There is an ointment for that on isle 12
  • Reply 32 of 42
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    a REC button to 'load' radio streams ...
  • Reply 33 of 42
    On my computer I have to have a backup file of every song I have. My computer is always saying it cant find the file and I have to go in there and find the file for it. I would like it if iTunes 8 made it so I didnt have to do that.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    jkovachjkovach Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm having topic deja vu (from that other place)...

Some of my albums are split between as many as 20 artists because every track "features" different artists. Apple tried to fix this with the album artist tag. However they only got it half right. And unfortunately heir current implementation makes the tag pretty much useless. It really baffles me too. The solution seems so obvious and easy to implement.

What should be done is to have iTunes and iPods browse/sort/group by album artist instead of artist. If album artist is blank, it would use the value from artist instead.

Is there a downside to this? The only one I can think of is that the artist list would sort differently depending on the version of iTunes or iPod firmware. But then again, they already tread on that consistency by changing the way numerics are alphabetized.

So now I'm really puzzled. Why not adopt such an obvious solution?

Why o-why did they not do this? I despise the "featuring xxx..." artists. My thumb is cramped from the excess number of artists on my ipod.

#4 - On the fly encoding for is my #1 wish for my mac (not just iTunes) and will continue to be. Hopefully Apple doesn't think that adding capacity to iPods and forcing you to buy a new one will solve this issue (unless they have a 750GB iPod soon).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    The ability to stream your your library to any other computer or iphone. I know you can already do it but there should be an easier way, like on click.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Another feature.

The Convert to MP3 feature is nice for dealing with devices that don't support AAC but have a feature where a playlist can be exported in MP3 to your destination. Right now you have to change the designation for files in Preferences and change to MP3 for encoding. Seems backwards.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    A pro version which will have a price tag....
  • Reply 38 of 42
    A soft black interface (ala iMovie 08).

Also an improved library layout.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The ability to have video stored in a different location (such as an external drive) while keeping the music on the internal hard drive. I used chronosync to keep the libraries updated between my iMac and iBook. Once I got an Apple TV, however, it's become impossible to do this as my poor old iBook has nowhere near the space to hold all the video I've encoded with Handbrake. I add a dozen songs and often as much video to my iTunes library nearly every week. It's a bummer to not be able to selectively sync parts of the library to another iTunes running computer.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Perhaps they need to rename iTunes again?

I said this a long time ago, I think they they should change the name to simply Jukebox.

In fact, until the recent Apple web site design change, if you went iTunes/iPod tab you had to click 'Jukebox' on the small sub nav bar to go to the iTunes download page. It was weird....