AT&T: 146,000 Apple iPhones activated in first two days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

i also purchased an iPhone on that Friday evening, but I won't be activating it until August 20th, when my Verizon contract expires. I didn't want to risk not getting one and having to wait when I was ready to activate. I also like purchasing new Apple products in the excitement of the first day. It was an exciting and fun evening!

nice move
  • Reply 62 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleaddict View Post

Very weird I just saw the stock reach 143.5 for a split second on ameritrade after hour chart.

134.5 right now (after hours)... GAAAK!
  • Reply 63 of 132
    Quote:

How much time do you think it will take AAPL to rebound to 145 if the news is positive tomorrow??

With the market down so much right now... could be 2 to 3 months.
  • Reply 64 of 132
    WOW that's a long time ... OK lesson learned ... next time I will follow the news ... not my instincts.

How many of you lucky guys sold on time in the 140s and bought back at 134 or are holding on?
  • Reply 65 of 132
    Quote:

WOW that's a long time ... OK lesson learned ... next time I will follow the news ... not my instincts.

How many of you lucky guys sold on time in the 140s and bought back at 134 or are holding on?

I've never sold any of my AAPL. Over the years, I'm still up overall 1,000%. Buy and hold, baby.

• Reply 66 of 132
    1000% is a beautiful number baby
  • Reply 67 of 132
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

How much time do you think it will take AAPL to rebound to 145 if the news is positive tomorrow??

You mean after it drops another 10 points?

The stock already moved up on positive news tomorrow. That was what happened in July. Now you get all those people who bought it selling out and happily taking their 25% gains that they got in two months.

Should be back up in the 150s by winter I would think, on the run up to the holiday season.
  • Reply 68 of 132
    Quote:

Very weird I just saw the stock reach 143.5 for a split second on ameritrade after hour chart.

Just a typo or an invalid trade. Happens all the time.

If you want, we can make a real one go across. I'll buy 100 shares and sell them to you for 143.5. Then we can watch the ticker to see it go across Exciting!
  • Reply 69 of 132
    Ohh I see ... I guess I was under the impression that it will take a few weeks cos I started riding the apple stock a month ago when it was at 117, and saw it go to 145 in 30 days. So I was expecting to go back to 145 by the end of the week.
  • Reply 70 of 132
  • Reply 71 of 132
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    One of the last trades of the day was a buy of 153000+ shares at ~$134.40. That's a Hedge fund or an institutional buyer. I bought Call options at a $135 strike price which means on Aug.17th, I have the right but not the obligation to buy AAPL at $135. Sweet.
  • Reply 72 of 132
    bert25bert25 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But are iPhone sales on track to meet or exceed Apple's projections?

Take just 15% of 146,000 ( 21,900) and call that as daily sales and it would exceed Apples projection of 10 million by end of 2008.

Activating 146,000 is still a lot in just 30 hours (that's 1 iPhone every 1.36 seconds) by any standards...

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-g...stroy-you.aspx

Quote:

My Name Is iPhone and I'm Here to Destroy You

By Tim Beyers July 24, 2007

Has the media gone loony? Seriously, I'm asking.

Here's why. When AT&T (NYSE: T) earlier reported that it activated 146,000 iPhone subscriptions in two days, many reporters cracked a smile and threw a stiff arm. For example, here's how Forbes put it: "So, there are 146,000 iPhone subscribers? Please AT&T, let us know when you have something interesting to report."

You're kidding, right? Yeah, good one. Oh, wait. You're not kidding. Really?!?

Look, even if 146,000 subscribers isn't a lot by iPhone standards -- some estimates were for 700,000 phones sold during the opening weekend -- most of that took place over just 30 hours. (AT&T and Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) opened at 6 p.m. on June 29 to begin sales.) That's 4,867 phones activated per hour.

But that's not even the best part. Actually, I find it hard to believe that no one else is making a bigger deal out of this. AT&T also reports that 40% (!) of its iPhone activations came from new customers.

Hello? Is anyone there? That's an outrageous number, especially when you consider that, not even three months ago, surveys ranked carrier switching issues as the second-greatest barrier to adoption of the iPhone. (Price was first.)

But then June rolled around, and, as fellow Fool Dave Mock reported here, AT&T discovered that -- surprise! -- 40% of those who registered an interest in the iPhone weren't yet users of its wireless service, a finding that was consistent with April research from M:Metrics.

See the pattern? We've long suspected that some consumers would dump the likes of Verizon (NYSE: VZ) and Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) to get an iPhone. Now we know they will. Why isn't this bigger news?

Maybe because it's early in the process. Here's how Dave put it to me in an e-mail earlier today:

Obviously, a small contingent of consumers is willing to shell out the [dollars] to have [an iPhone] now, but how does that translate down the line to the next 100,000 people, and the next? Price cuts factor in there dramatically, as does overall ease of use of the product and features.

I agree, though I'd also add competition. Taiwan's HTC already has a touch-screen phone. And we don't yet know what Palm (Nasdaq: PALM), Nokia (Nasdaq: NOK), and Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM) have in mind. I doubt any of them will create an iPhone killer, but they're all innovative enough to cause Apple problems.

Of course, that's the future. In the here and now, the iPhone's early returns are anything but a snoozer. Wake up, everyone!

• Reply 73 of 132
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Doesn't look like AAPL will go lower than 138 today... yet....

Update: Just went to 136 1/2! Guess I bought me some more AAPL!

Wait until Apple reports earnings tomorrow. I think that the numbers will be better than expected.

There is no way that the numbers associated with AT&T's iPhone sales for the opening weekend are accurate. 1. The phone has been on sale for more than two days (thus, this number does not reflect the total sales for the quarter). 2. Apple probably sold more phones than AT&T did (more inventory and longer lines)..etc. I would be shocked if the total number is lower than 500k. If the number is less, then Apple really has something to worry about.

Either way, I hope Apple is responsive in addressing the iPhone's short-comings through both software and hardware updates. On a similar vein, here's a note to Apple: you've let the 5G iPod stagnate for far too long. You better have a significant update for the upcoming quarter.
  • Reply 74 of 132
    Quick question. My wife and I purchased our iPhones on Saturday evening on Apple.com. Like many, we had no intention of waiting on the pavement and had no problem with 2-4 weeks delivery. Obviously, our phones wee not activated during AT&T's most recent quarter. My question, however, is whether our purchases will be considered as part of the first two selling days--i.e., Apple's most recent quarter. My credit card was not charged until shipping, which occurred on July 13. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Wait until Apple reports earnings tomorrow. I think that the numbers will be better than expected.

Better than who expects? You already expect them to be better than expected. So does just about everyone on this board. So does the market, which is why the stock is up 25 points in 30 days.

Quote:

There is no way that the numbers associated with AT&T's iPhone sales for the opening weekend are accurate. 1. The phone has been on sale for more than two days (thus, this number does not reflect the total sales for the quarter). 2. Apple probably sold more phones than AT&T did (more inventory and longer lines)..etc. I would be shocked if the total number is lower than 500k. If the number is less, then Apple really has something to worry about.

ATT did not report phone sales, it reported activations. And no matter where the phone was sold, unless someone couldn't manage to find a power outlet or passed out and headed straight for a 48 hour stay in the hospital that weekend, just about all the phones bought were activated. So yeah, get ready to be shocked. Because it's going to be lower than 500,000. It's going to be lower than 200,000 too.
  • Reply 76 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLambros View Post

Quick question. My wife and I purchased our iPhones on Saturday evening on Apple.com. Like many, we had no intention of waiting on the pavement and had no problem with 2-4 weeks delivery. Obviously, our phones wee not activated during AT&T's most recent quarter. My question, however, is whether our purchases will be considered as part of the first two selling days--i.e., Apple's most recent quarter. My credit card was not charged until shipping, which occurred on July 13. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Most likely no, if your credit card was not charged Apple probably didn't count that as a completed sale until July 13.
  • Reply 77 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Most likely no, if your credit card was not charged Apple probably didn't count that as a completed sale until July 13.

On what do you base your answer? Whether Apple considers those sales as occurring on the first weekend is a pretty big deal. I would think that they could, consistent with GAAP, book those sales as last quarter's revenue. Do you know something different?
  • Reply 78 of 132
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Better than who expects? You already expect them to be better than expected. So does just about everyone on this board. So does the market, which is why the stock is up 25 points in 30 days.

ATT did not report phone sales, it reported activations. And no matter where the phone was sold, unless someone couldn't manage to find a power outlet or passed out and headed straight for a 48 hour stay in the hospital that weekend, just about all the phones bought were activated. So yeah, get ready to be shocked. Because it's going to be lower than 500,000. It's going to be lower than 200,000 too.

Not so fast, anti-fanboy. Many of the people in the Apple store I went to bought 2 phones, 1 for themselves and 1 as a gift or to sell. I didn't activate right away nor did my my nephew who got my second phone. Buying 2 phones was commonplace if one believes the press (take that with a grain of salt) covering the sales on opening weekend. Once again, I repeat, no one but Apple knows the real numbers and they may not tell. They will say whatever suits their grand plan.
  • Reply 79 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLambros View Post

On what do you base your answer? Whether Apple considers those sales as occurring on the first weekend is a pretty big deal. I would think that they could, consistent with GAAP, book those sales as last quarter's revenue. Do you know something different?

They could. It just depends on how aggressive they want to be. I base my opinion on other companies that I've invested in in the past that were specifically asked that question, and stated that they did not recognize payment until the goods went out, not when the payment is received. Operating on accrual basis, you do not recognize a payment when you get it, you recognize it when you earn it. You don't close the books on that sale until it is out the door.

I don't see how it's a big deal though, most of the people who really wanted on that weekend bought it in the store, since nearly every store still had stock all through the weekend. Remember only Tuesday did the stock start running out at some locations, and in most cases came back on line the next day (all those returns!)
  • Reply 80 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

One of the last trades of the day was a buy of 153000+ shares at ~$134.40. That's a Hedge fund or an institutional buyer. I bought Call options at a $135 strike price which means on Aug.17th, I have the right but not the obligation to buy AAPL at $135. Sweet.

You rock. I gotta learn how to do that...