Stolen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if future versions of the iPhone included a fingerprint-based password locking system. It's a natural with the multitouch screen, it would be convenient for users, and more difficult for thieves to crack.

Fingerprint would be easier to crack than a 2 digit code on an iPhone. It would be just at easy as a fingerprint door lock, only it would be much easier to find the prints. All you need is some tape and you'll get the print. THere everywhere. One thing I know about iPhone is that I have to windex it daily. If I could windex it twice daily I would.

Voice print might be better.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    I think the best sort of security would be a phone home option, like those offered for the mac.

http://www.brigadoonsoftware.com/

I just sent them a message via their website requesting some sort of development, and I feel that if more people filed the same request, that might be motivation for them to do something.

In brief, this software sends a discrete email every time it is connected to a server. It shouldn't be too terribly long before a thief figures out how to connect the phone to a hot spot...then giving me a heads up!

Anyway, today's the big day. I don't have any newspaper clippings, so I'm scanning through the web now to pick something out quickly.

Wish me luck, and I'm sorry about the misunderstanding earlier, and I appreciate you clearing that up for me! (regarding idiot comment).
  • Reply 23 of 42
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

That's a great idea.

It would be nice if the phone could be tracked via GPS if the phone ever gets this (so that you have a chance of recovering it). Is the data on the iPhone encrypted? How much attention has Apple paid to security with the iPhone?

I don't believe the data on the iPhone is encrypted. The chip is too slow at this point thus user experience trumps security. And while I believe that while Apple has considered security, it is baby steps at this point. Some parts of the iPhone are more secure than others, but there are a few big holes that I would expect to get filled over the course of its development. I would also expect addtional security options to appear under Settings.

While GPS makes the iPhone even more trackable, it is actually quite trackable as is, and if Apple and the authorites were committed to finding CRHain88's phone, they could.

The problem is that the technology companies (Apple, ATT) don't want to get into the police business unless they have to. I am sure they have discussed where to draw The Line. As customers continue to report stolen and lost iPhones, Apple and ATT have to decide what to do next with the information they receive about the whereabouts of stolen phones. Overall, customers (and Apple/ATT) prefer that they (Apple/ATT) did nothing unless obligated by the authorities. In other words, the cost of losing an iPhone is less than the cost of Apple/ATT becoming a police force. Better for everyone to have clear divisions: here is the company that makes delightful technology products, here is the police force that goes out and does police stuff.

Back to The Line...

If a more serious crime is committed and an iPhone is involved, then the police would ask Apple and ATT for information and they would provide it. This is common. For example, when Michael Jordin's father was murdered, his murderers stole his cell phone. Then they made a few calls. Then they were arrested, thanks to the police tracking Mr. Jordin's cell phone in tandem with the cell phone company.

I would also imagine that "call home if stolen" applications will emerge that will take Apple and ATT out of the equation, and allow victims to provide information directly to the police. Even then, I wonder how much intervention will occur? The nature of what's on the iPhone rather than the iPhone itself may drive the vigor of an investigation into its loss.

Which leads to a "wipe contents if stolen" application. I believe this may already be available for other phones, and I hope it comes to the iPhone. You may not get a stolen iPhone back, but at least a command could be sent via the network that identifies then fries the device. Otherwise, how is Paris Hilton ever going to feel comfortable walking around with an iPhone containing all those famous phone numbers and all those embarrassing videos?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    whoops.... double post

I'll therefore turn this into a Good Luck post to CRHain88!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Fingerprint would be easier to crack than a 2 digit code on an iPhone. It would be just at easy as a fingerprint door lock, only it would be much easier to find the prints. All you need is some tape and you'll get the print. THere everywhere.

That's a great point! Two thoughts:

1) Most thieves will not be able to lift fingerprints and then, in turn, use the lifted fingerprint (which is not the same thing as a finger) to hack the fingerprint door lock.

2) Because of the way multitouch works, an additional password technique could be implemented along with a fingerprint (or as an alternative): you draw or tap an identifiable picture or pattern. For example, an identifiable pattern could be tapping the upper right corner three times in a row. Or it could be drawing a circle with your finger and tapping in the middle of the circle. In other words, through multitouch, you could train the device to recognize a picture or a tapping pattern that serves as a password. Adding fingerprint identification to a multitouch drawing/tapping pattern (or vice versa, adding a pattern to a fingerprint - e.g. it's not enough that it's your finger, you have to use your finger to tap at the screen in an identifiable pattern) - would make it that much more unlikely that anyone else could unlock it. And a pattern - a squiggle, a loop, a couple of taps - would be quick and painless to enter.

Quote:

One thing I know about iPhone is that I have to windex it daily. If I could windex it twice daily I would.

Windex can get into cracks and damage things. Are you sure the windex isn't coming in contact with the rubber gasket between the screen and bezel and quietly desiccating it?

Quote:

Voice print might be better.

How very Star Trek of you! I agree, voice print might be good, but currently difficult and impractical to implement.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    I'm back from the store. Some woman in front of me was angrily upset about her phone, and I feel that this turned the person helping me bitter. I was hoping that by me being polite, he would help me out in front of her out of spite, but he didn't.

I had to purchase a brand new phone, with all accessories, at no discount. My next step is to send a letter to Apple discussing my concerns, primarily how AT&T says that's Apple's territory, and Apple says that's AT&T's territory, and AT&T say's that's for the police, and the police say they can't do anything, only AT&T can, and AT&T says Apple needs to fix it, and you see my pattern?

My only other option is to hound the police to pull the security camera footage and then hold that in their records. That way, when this kid is eventually caught, I can press charges. Until then, I'm carefully studying the faces of every person I walk past. If I have to vigilantly this one, I will.

I thank all of you for your support. It made these last two days somewhat bearable!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CRHain88 View Post

I'm back from the store. Some woman in front of me was angrily upset about her phone, and I feel that this turned the person helping me bitter. I was hoping that by me being polite, he would help me out in front of her out of spite, but he didn't.

I had to purchase a brand new phone, with all accessories, at no discount. My next step is to send a letter to Apple discussing my concerns, primarily how AT&T says that's Apple's territory, and Apple says that's AT&T's territory, and AT&T say's that's for the police, and the police say they can't do anything, only AT&T can, and AT&T says Apple needs to fix it, and you see my pattern?

My only other option is to hound the police to pull the security camera footage and then hold that in their records. That way, when this kid is eventually caught, I can press charges. Until then, I'm carefully studying the faces of every person I walk past. If I have to vigilantly this one, I will.

I thank all of you for your support. It made these last two days somewhat bearable!

Uh...what did you expect Apple to do, exactly? You had it stolen, which fucking sucks, but it's not Apple's fault, nor AT&T's. You can be a paranoid private detective all you want, and dress up in a superhero costume trying to prevent theft of small consumer electronic devices, but you ain't gettin' the phone back. Sorry dude...I know it's hard. Life's a bitch and then you die.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Obviously you hadn't read the entire post, otherwise you would have known what i was hoping for.

Things will never change if people don't speak up. It is my belief that if Apple want's to outshine the competition, they are going to provide some sort or re-assurance. Least of all, the two companies should be able to communicate the same data.

Apathy like yours is the reason that the police can get away with not doing their jobs, because people like you will idly sit by. I was raised to believe that if I want a change, I need to do something. Now I can say I tried.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Obviously you hadn't read the entire post, otherwise you would have known what i was hoping for.

Things will never change if people don't speak up. It is my belief that if Apple want's to outshine the competition, they are going to provide some sort or re-assurance. Least of all, the two companies should be able to communicate the same data.

Apathy like yours is the reason that the police can get away with not doing their jobs, because people like you will idly sit by. I was raised to believe that if I want a change, I need to do something. Now I can say I tried.

Why in the world would you expect a company (any company) to give you a discount to replace something YOU were careless with?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Why in the world would you expect a company (any company) to give you a discount to replace something YOU were careless with?

But when i am careful and it gets stolen anyway, it would be nice if apple would run an application that would lock the phone or give gps location to owner so they could find and kill the thief as needs to be done. lol,
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Because...

The iPhone launch was a huge affair, he was part of it, he waited hours to get one, he was part of a newspaper story publicizing the launch, he's not rich, he had the bad luck of getting it stolen right after he bought it, and the people who work at Apple are human beings. No official policy to be sure, and no sense of entitlement, but given the circumstances, I could see a sympathetic manager giving the dude a break.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Because...

The iPhone launch was a huge affair, he was part of it, he waited hours to get one, he was part of a newspaper story publicizing the launch, he's not rich, he had the bad luck of getting it stolen right after he bought it, and the people who work at Apple are human beings. No official policy to be sure, and no sense of entitlement, but given the circumstances, I could see a sympathetic manager giving the dude a break.

I sure hope (from a stock holders point of view) that Apple doesn't employ that many sympathetic managers.

I'm sorry the guy's phone got stolen. Sometimes, in life, people have to own their own problems and not expect sympathetic managers to help them out.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    The phone that was stolen from me was a throw-away phone. The Apple employee told me that they do not recycle any of the parts. So when I would have went to exchange my phone, they would have given me another one and tossed the one I gave.

I was hoping, that since my stolen phone was of no value to them anyway, that they would give me some sort of a break, some way to alleviate the costs.

Besides the point, but still kind of relative, today at my shop, a customer spilled his coffee. It wasn't my fault that it was spilt, but I still gave him another cup. I wasn't going to charge him because he's only had it for a few minutes. Are you seeing the point I'm trying to make? Change coffee to phone, spilled to stolen, and minutes to weeks.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

The phone that was stolen from me was a throw-away phone. The Apple employee told me that they do not recycle any of the parts. So when I would have went to exchange my phone, they would have given me another one and tossed the one I gave.

I was hoping, that since my stolen phone was of no value to them anyway, that they would give me some sort of a break, some way to alleviate the costs.

Besides the point, but still kind of relative, today at my shop, a customer spilled his coffee. It wasn't my fault that it was spilt, but I still gave him another cup. I wasn't going to charge him because he's only had it for a few minutes. Are you seeing the point I'm trying to make? Change coffee to phone, spilled to stolen, and minutes to weeks.

Change a $1.25 cup of coffee to a $600 phone? No, I'm sorry, I don't see the point you are trying to make.

I should just stop reading this thread.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Yes, I see your point.

When someone is not subjectively involved in an experience, they tend to be objective, and this can often sound harsh to the person in the throes of the moment.

Of course, on the other hand, when someone is subjectively involved in an incident, they tend to be subjective about it. Their reasoning often seems "stretched" from the objective viewpoint.

It's like a real funny instance that you experienced that makes you laugh when you recall it and try to relate it to someone else - who almost never sees the degree of humor in it that you do. You almost have to be there to fully appreciate the humor of the moment.

In your case, what happened was obviously not humorous, but the same principle applies.

Bottom line - you were 100% right to march your point up to the flagpole, and run it up to see who might salute it. Despite the knocks, you keep doing this - otherwise, you may never enjoy the experience of mercy from another. If you don't ask for it, you will likely never receive it (if it were ever available in the first place) - because someone else asking for it will get it instead.

It is totally right to ask for a benefit, even if it's not an entitlement, it just not kosher to ask and expect it - and then feel bad if it doesn't happen for you.

Thank goodness we have people like you in the world who will seek first - even if it is not successful - rather than foreclose any opportunities due to jaded reluctance.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

I'm really sorry your iPhone was stolen. But...the attitude concerns me...that you are entitled to a free iPhone.

Several years ago I worked as a barista for Starbucks. A mother and child came in and she purchased a cup of hot chocolate for her child who proceeded (even after my warning that it was hot, although I did not heat it to scalding for the child's sake) to run around the shop like a little maniac. The kid ran and tripped and SPLOOSH went his cup of chocolate. The mom came back to the counter as one of my colleagues went to clean up the mess...and she ordered another cup. Oh yes, I charged her and she complained saying that "most" places would have replaced it free and she can see that this coffee shop isn't kid-friendly. (Uh, duh, it's a coffee shop...I don't see many toddlers ordering lattes and working on their laptops.)

I said, well, starbucks isn't kiddie park and WE didn't cause his drink to spill. I felt it within my right to charge her. Otherwise, isn't that just feeding the SELF-ENTITLEMENT attitude? I'm so tired of people thinking they DESERVE everything free.

Years ago I stupidly left my Chanel purse in my husband's locked truck and it was stolen. I didn't call Chanel and ask them to please replace my $1200 purse for free. It was my own fault and I dealt with it.

I can understand it's upsetting to have your stuff stolen but come on, do you also leave your wallet and social security card out where someone could take it too?

You sure are trusting. Perhaps you needed an eye opener. I know *I* don't leave ANYTHING in my car anymore.

Again, sorry it was stolen but save your energy and do something for the community without expecting something in return.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    - ?(r)?z -- ?(r)?z - Posts: 127member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Just curious, when they see that it is stolen, how would they figure out his location; by IP address?

So you're a lawyer eh, bob lol Good coffeephone that day?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    I`m sorry about your phone. I can understand how Apple wouldn`t replace the phone because they`re a capitalist entity in it for the money in the long run. Maybe I`m one of those naiive people like others in here have accused you of but I wonder is this. AT&T can send a signal to your phone if your reception is weak. They do it thru their systems somehow. If you don`t pay your bill, they lock down your phone. So how can they not locate a phone? If the thief calls Apple for technical support, and they will because thieves by nature are self-absorbed and believe they have `rights` to what isnt theirs, they have to give their phone number, the name of who is on the account and possibly the serial number if they can`t come up with the first two. Apple could do something about stolen phones, laptops etc but do they??? Wouldn`t that be better customer service to be a little more helpful than some snotty stressed out counter chick at Apple? Apple has a huge feedback system. Anytime you talk to someone at Apple and you don`t like their tone and/or attitude you can call Apple and make sure you know their full name and location where they work and give feedback. In reverse, if someone is really helpful, you can do the same . Basically apathy doesn`t cut it for me. Apple is making lots of money and so is AT&T right now but where is the human face in a scenario like this?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    This is the exact reason why on all of my past ipods(4) I immediately stash the white iconic headphones and pick up some cheap black ones... no need to draw attention to the fact that you have $350+ sitting in your pocket.

with my iPhone it's a bit tougher to hide. I have painted the included headphones (due to the small headphone jack and the mic/answer/hold button) and when in public I usually try to conceal the phone in my hand as much as possible.

I DO live in St. Louis city so, being one of the most dangerous cities in the country I try not to draw attention by habit...
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

So you're a lawyer eh, bob lol Good coffeephone that day?

umm... I don't follow.