Macs picking up slack for flatlining iPod sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macs were the undeniable growth driver for Apple Inc.'s national retail chain last quarter, far outpacing sales of iPods which remained relatively flat from the year-ago quarter.

For the three-month period ending June, Apple's U.S. retail stores combined for an average 36 percent growth in Mac unit sales compared to just a 2 percent overall increase in sales of iPods. When sales totals from international Apple stores are factored into the mix, growth percentages are likely to change.

Of the approximate 140 stores that have been operating in the States for at least one year, over 50 witnessed a more than 50 percent increase in sales of Macs from the year-ago quarter, people familiar with the matter have told AppleInsider. That included 3 locations that actually saw a more than 100 percent increase in the number of Macs sold.

By contrast, just 3 of the 140 stores managed to grow their iPod sales by more than 50 percent. Nearly 50 Apple retail locations actually saw a 5 - 15 percent decline in sales of the digital media players from the same quarter last year.

From a revenue perspective, third quarter iPod sales could fall below last year's mark should sales of the $79 second-generation iPod shuffle account for a significant portion of the unit mix. Although Apple offered a first-generation shuffle during the year-ago quarter, it was far less compelling than the model currently offered today.

The Cupertino-based company is expected to provide more color on both Mac and iPod sales during its fiscal third quarter conference call, set to take placed this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. PDT/5:00 p.m. EDT. It will also announce first weekend iPhone sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    We're all waiting with baited breath... \

Correction: "bated"
  • Reply 2 of 23
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

We're all waiting with baited breath... \

I'm with YOU, Spam! (But, personally, I'm waiting with "bated breath." Not into minnows, worms, fish eggs, and the like.)
  • Reply 3 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm not surprised at the newfound success of Mac. I find Vista very uncomfortable to use, it just seems to take far more "clicks" than XP to get anything done.

In the beginning Mac was simpler than PC, but then PC simplified greatly. Now PC is becoming complicated again thanks to Vista, giving Mac it's old advantage back.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    How about Apple Inc. changing back to its old name?

/Adrian
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

snip

people familiar with the matter have told AppleInsider.

snip

The Cupertino-based company is expected to provide more color on both Mac and iPod sales during its fiscal third quarter conference call, set to take placed this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. PDT/5:00 p.m. EDT.

Is a six hour scoop worth another story? If you have official announcements coming only six hours later, why rely on an anonymous source?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

I'm with YOU, Spam! (But, personally, I'm waiting with "bated breath." Not into minnows, worms, fish eggs, and the like.)

Dang it, you got me.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't get it. They didn't release their results yet, did they?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I don't get it. They didn't release their results yet, did they?

No, they didn't. This is simply more grist for the rumor mill.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is a six hour scoop worth another story? If you have official announcements coming only six hours later, why rely on an anonymous source?

Are stock markets still open over in the US?

/Adrian
  • Reply 10 of 23
    From Marketwatch:

"Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research, says he expects "continued Mac strength" that will be driven by recently updated MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Wu estimates Apple will post total Mac sales of 1.64 million units, up 24% from a year ago.

Regarding the iPod, Wu expects shipments to rise 20% from a year ago, to 9.7 million units, "with little signs of cannibalization from [the] iPhone." Wu holds a buy rating and $165 price target on Apple's stock."

OK, so if the apple insider report is true, Then apple has KILLED analyst esitmates for mac sales... but really disappointed on ipod sales. This will be an interesting earnings report.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Are stock markets still open over in the US?

/Adrian

Hey Adrian, stock markets in North America are open another 2.5 hours.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradical View Post

From Marketwatch:

"Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research, says he expects "continued Mac strength" that will be driven by recently updated MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Wu estimates Apple will post total Mac sales of 1.64 million units, up 24% from a year ago.

Regarding the iPod, Wu expects shipments to rise 20% from a year ago, to 9.7 million units, "with little signs of cannibalization from [the] iPhone." Wu holds a buy rating and $165 price target on Apple's stock."

OK, so if the apple insider report is true, Then apple has KILLED analyst esitmates for mac sales... but really disappointed on ipod sales. This will be an interesting earnings report.

My hope is that Wu is right.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

From Marketwatch:

You ain't kidding.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:

From Marketwatch:

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that that report refer to iPod sales in the retail segment. That area has been decreasing for two quarter. Apple was asked about it in the last CC. The reason is that there more distribution points, such as Best Buy and so on.

I still think iPods are selling well
  • Reply 15 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I hope iPod sales are doing poorly to kick Apple in the ass a bit and get more aggressive with iPods.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I hope iPod sales are doing poorly to kick Apple in the ass a bit and get more aggressive with iPods.

It's a couple months too early in the cycle. Their pattern in the last few years is to update in the August to November time frame, averaging about mid September. Post-holiday sales are usually slow for iPods and Apple updates before the holidays to take advantage of holiday gift buying. The designs of the next revisions are probably being finalized now, if not already finalized, to be produced in time for the boom.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

And computers...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Hey Adrian, stock markets in North America are open another 2.5 hours.

Well, it really was a rethorical question to answer JeffDM's concerns, but thanks anyway,

/Adrian
  • Reply 19 of 23
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm not surprised at the newfound success of Mac. I find Vista very uncomfortable to use, it just seems to take far more "clicks" than XP to get anything done.

In the beginning Mac was simpler than PC, but then PC simplified greatly. Now PC is becoming complicated again thanks to Vista, giving Mac it's old advantage back.

Now let's hope Leopard gives us even less clicking. I like the looks of Stacks Spaces and Quicklook.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This is probably why they're not in a hurry to update their products. People need to stop buying their computers and they'll have no choice but to give us better ones.

I suspect any ipod shortfall will quickly pick up if the rumored touch screen ipod makes an appearance.