Apple sells 270,000 iPhones in the first two days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

Sorry to rain on the parade, but AAPL's data sheet states the 270,000 'Consists of iPhones and Apple-branded and third-party iPhone accessories' - see footnote (6) on their Unaudited Summary Data.

So if each iPhone buyer also bought an iPhone case, say, the iPhone unit sales number comes in at 135,000, etc.

Did you listen to the conference call? 270,000 iPhones were sold in 30 hours.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

If you actually think about it there is absolutely NO inconsistency between 149,000 activations and 270,000 sales.

There a number of purchase conditions that would not allow instantaneous activation.

1) Purchase of second unit for friend. I was in line at the apple store on Friday and almost everyone was buying TWO phones. Most that I talked to in line were buying for a friend, not another family member. In my case my friend didn't come by until Sunday to pick it up.

2) The activation debacle - AT&T will minimize this any way they can so the number they quote is likely ones that AT&T were responsible for. Again, my example serves. I didn't get activation until Sunday but it wasn't AT&T fault. T-Mobile wouldn't release my number. So since AT&T reports 40% switchers this could be a lot of units.

3) People buying late Saturday may likely not activate until Sunday (That's not that long) or there activation, while not instantaneous, was only 5-8 hours. AT&T would not necessarily consider this a delay (they should in principle).

Item 1 and 2 alone could easily account for the difference. You can't be sure either way and, IMO, both arguments are very plausible so we just don't know other than its NOT inconsistent.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

[B][SIZE="5"]

suck on that one Zune

Have Micro$haft sold any of those things yet?
  • Reply 24 of 50
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

If you actually think about it there is absolutely NO inconsistency between 149,000 activations and 270,000 sales.

There a number of purchase conditions that would not allow instantaneous activation.

1) Purchase of second unit for friend. I was in line at the apple store on Friday and almost everyone was buying TWO phones. Most that I talked to in line were buying for a friend, not another family member. In my case my friend didn't come by until Sunday to pick it up.

2) The activation debacle - AT&T will minimize this any way they can so the number they quote is likely ones that AT&T were responsible for. Again, my example serves. I didn't get activation until Sunday but it wasn't AT&T fault. T-Mobile wouldn't release my number. So since AT&T reports 40% switchers this could be a lot of units.

3) People buying late Saturday may likely not activate until Sunday (That's not that long) or there activation, while not instantaneous, was only 5-8 hours. AT&T would not necessarily consider this a delay (they should in principle).

Item 1 and 2 alone could easily account for the difference. You can't be sure either way and, IMO, both arguments are very plausible so we just don't know other than its NOT inconsistent.

They were also counting what was in transit, to their retail stores and AT&T stores. So they didn't really 'sell' 270k until probably the 4th day. It doesn't matter anyway, the initial numbers are somewhat irrelevant. There's that many fan boys that would buy it no matter what, lets see how it sustains.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Listening to a conference call and what is actually on paper are two different things. Read the data sheet for the link he provided.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Listening to a conference call and what is actually on paper are two different things. Read the data sheet for the link he provided.

Groan.\
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan.\

Is that supposed to be a meaningful post? You can put more thought into it than that can't you?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

I did. Its not clear and the CFO clarified this during Q&A on the call. They sold 270,000 units.

Quote:

They were also counting what was in transit, to their retail stores and AT&T stores. So they didn't really 'sell' 270k until probably the 4th day. It doesn't matter anyway, the initial numbers are somewhat irrelevant. There's that many fan boys that would buy it no matter what, lets see how it sustains.

Where did you get this tidbit. Its certainly not on the data sheet, nor is it what was said in the conference call. Its also contradictory to Apple's previous practices.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

I did. Its not clear and the CFO clarified this during Q&A on the call. They sold 270,000 units.

Where did you get this tidbit. Its certainly not on the data sheet, nor is it what was said in the conference call. Its also contradictory to Apple's previous practices.

It was in response to an analysts question, I believe it was Tim Cook that responded. Also if you listen to his opening when he spoke of the number of phones sold he noted that it was phones sold to the retail stores and at&t stores. I'm trying to find the exact spot in the quicktime where the question came in. If you go back and listen to the analysts questions section you should be able to find it.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    arw3arw3 Posts: 8member
    Quote:

They were also counting what was in transit, to their retail stores and AT&T stores.

Umm, how should I say this? Oh yeah, 'Wrong.'
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

It was almost right in the middle a guy named Tony Sacamagi (sp?) asked the question, it occurs at 28 minutes into the conference.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARW3 View Post

Umm, how should I say this? Oh yeah, 'Wrong.'

Speaking before listening to the conference apparently.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Steve said Apple hopes to sell their millionth iPhone by the end of its first full quarter of sales. Didn't it take Apple seven quarters to sell its millionth iPod? I'd say, "Get on. This money train is leaving the station."
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Is that supposed to be a meaningful post? You can put more thought into it than that can't you?

Actually, I gave it all the thought it deserved.

But since you asked: Oppenheimer did specifically clarify it. Combined with the surmise on my part that Apple's segment classification could be just overly broad (after all, it is booking a non-material $5 million) and given how careful Apple tends to be (or rather, had better be in making a statement to that effect), it is more than likely that I am -- and others are -- right about something in the range of 270,000 being iPhone sales. It is possible that it is slightly lower, but I would venture a guess that it would not be materially so.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Steviet02,

What exactly are you trying to say in your posts?
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

It was in response to an analysts question, I believe it was Tim Cook that responded. Also if you listen to his opening when he spoke of the number of phones sold he noted that it was phones sold to the retail stores and at&t stores. I'm trying to find the exact spot in the quicktime where the question came in. If you go back and listen to the analysts questions section you should be able to find it.

1) If true this would be highly improper accounting to the extent that its totally out of character for official Apple pronouncements. Selling to oneself (the retail stores) and claiming sales is fraudulent.

2) Without taking the time to re-listen (I just don't have the time) I believe what was said was 'sales through retail and at&t stores' not to. He was likely excluding on-line as they should not be included until shipped, which couldn't have happened in this 30 hour time-frame.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Little linky

Quote:

Investors were pleased with Apple's results, sending the company's shares up $12.89, or more than 9%, to $150.15 in after-hours trading

Hopefully this translates into $150 by tomorrow's market opening.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Little linky

Hopefully this translates into $150 by tomorrow's market opening.

Interesting linky. But, this comment, by another seemingly clueless analyst, grated:

"By any normal company's standards, sales of the iPhone in its first two days were brisk," said Charles Smulders, PC analyst with Gartner Inc. "If there is any sense of disappointment, then over-inflated expectations driven by Apple's marketing machine are to blame."

"Driven by Apple's marketing machine?!" Or by clueless analysts like himself?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interesting linky. But, this comment, by another seemingly clueless analyst, grated:

"By any normal company's standards, sales of the iPhone in its first two days were brisk," said Charles Smulders, PC analyst with Gartner Inc. "If there is any sense of disappointment, then over-inflated expectations driven by Apple's marketing machine are to blame."

"Driven by Apple's marketing machine?!" Or by clueless analysts like himself?

Gartner is a thinly veiled MSFT stooge and MarketWatch is on my don't read list--John Dvorak and Hank "I'm always wrong" Greenberg work for them. Nuff said.
  • Reply 40 of 50

He did say it included phones in transit to AT&T, so from Apple's side that is sold inventory but still in channel. I'm still pondering the .65 forcast for current qtr. Seems like they plan to give away an awful lot of iPods with all those MBs.

Wondering how Cramer's crow is going to taste if APPL holds these levels tomorrow.

Sure looking like that 205 is within reach. Do we think any nay sayers will change story about how poorly the intro went. Subtract 270k units, then look at 90 days of sales at 1985 locations and you can see that selling an average of slightly more than 4 units per day per location and Apple will reach the million mark. So I'm expecting an early anouncement about the attainment of the gaol. Most likely at the very next product intro during the qtr. An SJ event, sorry Tim & Peter.