Blu-ray standard in next 24" iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering what might make margins go from 36% to 29%.

No component costs I could think of could skew Apple margins so greatly as to drop 7% until I priced slimline Blu-Ray drives like the ones that go into iMacs. $999 MSRP retail, $850 street.

Blu-Ray standard in the iMac would trash its near term margins until drive costs dropped. Figure the drive would have to cost around $300 at OEM pricing given some of the laptop markups ($660 BTO for Dell).

20" iMac $1,199 2.0Ghz X1600

20" iMac $1,499 2.16 Ghz GeForce 7300 + Blu Ray

24" iMax $1,999 2.16 Ghz GeForce 7300 + Blu Ray

Maybe a CPU bump in there too...forget what the Meroms are up to.

Perhaps Blu-Ray only on the 24" iMac and just the CPU/GPU bump on the $1499 20" iMac.

Vinea

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No component costs I could think of could skew Apple margins so greatly as to drop 7% until I priced slimline Blu-Ray drives like the ones that go into iMacs. $999 MSRP retail, $850 street.

Blu-Ray standard in the iMac would trash its near term margins until drive costs dropped. Figure the drive would have to cost around $300 at OEM pricing given some of the laptop markups ($660 BTO for Dell).

20" iMac $1,199 2.0Ghz X1600

20" iMac $1,499 2.16 Ghz GeForce 7300 + Blu Ray

24" iMax $1,999 2.16 Ghz GeForce 7300 + Blu Ray

Maybe a CPU bump in there too...forget what the Meroms are up to.

Perhaps Blu-Ray only on the 24" iMac and just the CPU/GPU bump on the $1499 20" iMac.

Vinea

I don't know about you , but I would rather spend $600 on top end CPU and GPU upgrades, rather than an overrated DVD technology that I would never use. I'm fine with Blu-ray being a BTO option, but don't force it on me by making it standard, because I don't want it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Vinea

What about LED Screens?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Re LED in the new imac, forget it as LED would bump up the price significantly. And considering the problems encountered by the 15" MBP's not sure i for one want it just yet.

Re Blu-Ray, I personally think we will see this as a BTO option in the mac pro before the imac. Drives that read/write DVD's and read blu ray can be preordered from overclockers from £150 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=10&subcat=925

I dont think this would bump the price up too much.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    No Blu-Ray in the iMac until 2008. LG's desktop-sized Blu-Ray combo drive (i.e. can't write Blu-Ray, just read it) will cost $400. Now remember that notebook drives (the kind Apple needs) will typically cost more. It would be too expensive as a BTO option and would probably force a second 24-inch model.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Funny, the other day when Intel announced the price drop to some of the quad cores my head started spinning thinking of them being in new iMacs, but I thought they were too expensive. BD drives are as well LED backlit screens also seem costly. so it looks like I'll be waiting til Jan AGAIN. I do hope the wait is worth it next year.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Funny, the other day when Intel announced the price drop to some of the quad cores my head started spinning thinking of them being in new iMacs, but I thought they were too expensive. BD drives are as well LED backlit screens also seem costly. so it looks like I'll be waiting til Jan AGAIN. I do hope the wait is worth it next year.

Yeah, I don't see Blu-ray coming, definitely BTO though if it's available. LED maybe but if it's more expensive probably not. I could see a quad core chip though. If Apple made a 30" iMac, they could go a bit nuts with what they put in there.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Blu-Ray drives are very expensive and very slow when burning DVDs or CDs. I don't expect Apple to enter the HD arena until there are drives out that can deal with both BR and HD-DVD disks.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

No Blu-Ray in the iMac until 2008. LG's desktop-sized Blu-Ray combo drive (i.e. can't write Blu-Ray, just read it) will cost $400. Now remember that notebook drives (the kind Apple needs) will typically cost more. It would be too expensive as a BTO option and would probably force a second 24-inch model.

You just hit the nail on the head right there. Mac Pro is Apples flagship computer. They put everything new and expensive into the Mac Pro first and with the expense of these things it would be first a BTO option not a standard one.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You just hit the nail on the head right there. Mac Pro is Apples flagship computer. They put everything new and expensive into the Mac Pro first and with the expense of these things it would be first a BTO option not a standard one.

I disagree. I would say the MacBook Pro is the flagship. It was first to get the Intel Core Duo and the first pro machine to get the Core 2 Duo, whereas the dual-core G5 sold alongside the MacBook Pro for eight months. It has the best graphics card before BTO, and the most stock RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I disagree. I would say the MacBook Pro is the flagship. It was first to get the Intel Core Duo and the first pro machine to get the Core 2 Duo, whereas the dual-core G5 sold alongside the MacBook Pro for eight months. It has the best graphics card before BTO, and the most stock RAM.

I don't think 'flagship' has much to do with it. I think the MacPro will get the BR drive first because typical MP users will need it before other mac users.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't think 'flagship' ahs much to do with it. I think the MacPro will get the BR drive first because Mac Pro typiucal MP users will need it before other mac users.

On that, I agree.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

On that, I agree.

Sorry, I didn't realize how poorly that was worded until I saw your response.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    can we countdown to Aug 7th
  • Reply 14 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    what is the real obstacle to go from

17"/20"/24"

to

19"/22"/27"

with same resolution as 1440 x 900, 1680 x 1050, 1900 x 1200.

IMHO

1. More space

2. put real GPU

3. possible desktop CPU

4. now the later model LCD are common so more discounts from OEMs

5. bigger fonts

27" i think it is expensive now, it may go down in 6 months to 12 months time.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Blu-Ray drives are very expensive and very slow when burning DVDs or CDs. I don't expect Apple to enter the HD arena until there are drives out that can deal with both BR and HD-DVD disks.

It wouldnt be the first time Apple took a backwards "speed" step (pun intended ) in order to use new tech.

With LEDs BD and the quadcore thing, this is all frustrating AND great, great because Apple have us all guessing again.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I would sell all of my non-vital organs for a 24" imac with a Blu-ray burner!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Other that storage capacity, is there anything else that would make either Blu-ray or HD-DVD worth getting? I hear that they can deliver "true" high-definition, but unless your TV can display it then you are no better off than the person that owns a Lamborghini but drives in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    drdamndrdamn Posts: 3member
    The 24" iMac already has a 1080p screen there for use - no need for the TV . I'd be happy with a HDMI in rather than a Blu-ray drive built in. Cheaper and more useful.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDamn View Post

The 24" iMac already has a 1080p screen there for use - no need for the TV . I'd be happy with a HDMI in rather than a Blu-ray drive built in. Cheaper and more useful.

Agreed. It'd be nice to see Apple adopt HDMI (in AND out would be best). HDCP annoys me, but it's pretty much becoming a standard so they ought to go for it.