Analysts up targets as Apple valuation surpasses Hewlett-Packard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

How long ago was that? From his comments in the PC Magazine article today, he seems quite unfamiliar with OS X.

Early 90's I believe. I think he left around the advent of Windows '95, but I don't recall exactly. My dad got Mac User back then.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Sorry Mel, you may have some respect for the guy, but many don't.

I think Dvorak himself is the best spokesperson as to how he's such a whore, as he himself admits in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWDYaWAVQQ

Pretty ugly stuff. \

I know. I saw the video.

But, you see, while some think that it was a slip of the tongue, I don't.

It generated more controversy, and consequently, more publicity for him, and his employer.

Well done.

He has a plan, and is very successful in carrying it out. You MUST respect that, even if you don't agree with him.

After all, far too many Mac fanbois write irresponsible things to those who are imagined to knock anything Apple.

Even death threats! This is all too common.

But, if he said fanboi things about the Mac, the same people here that now disrespect him, would be praising him to the limit.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:

The print computer mags have never really mattered to me, or to many people, for that matter. Why should they? It's a vehicle for advertising, essentially. So is AI, but at least here you get same day information (for free) and honest opinions directly from other users... not so with print, unless you count the token couple of 'letters to the editor'.

Your point is taken, though. The nicest thing you can say about Dvorak re: the Apple mouse is that he was just as wrong as some other people regarding that. But he still wasn't right.

Everything is a vehicle for advertising, INCLUDING AI, as you said.

The computer press is as good as the individual publication. You want to dismiss something you aren't happy with?

It doesn't work that way.

I agree that he was wrong about the mouse. So what? He's a pundit. They are paid to make extreme points. Otherwise no one would pay attention.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, almost everybody thought the same thing about the mouse at the time, including, as I remember, most Apple II users.

Yeah. I was on an Apple IIc. I thought the mouse was absurd and the whole interface was too "cutsey." I had no use for the Mac until I saw how easy it was for people at school to change the font size and make a 3 page paper 5 pages!! That was when my Mac envy started.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

I know. I saw the video.

But, you see, while some think that it was a slip of the tongue, I don't.

It generated more controversy, and consequently, more publicity for him, and his employer.

Well done.

He has a plan, and is very successful in carrying it out. You MUST respect that, even if you don't agree with him.

After all, far too many Mac fanbois write irresponsible things to those who are imagined to knock anything Apple.

Even death threats! This is all too common.

But, if he said fanboi things about the Mac, the same people here that now disrespect him, would be praising him to the limit.

Mel, whether or not it was a slip or planned doesn't really matter. Neither does what 'fanbois' do or don't do.

Because no matter how you slice it, Dvorak is still a whore. \

And frankly, I'm amazed that someone of your intellect and character would waste time defending him. Trust me Mel, Duh-hor-hack is beneath you.

• Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Everything is a vehicle for advertising, INCLUDING AI, as you said.

The computer press is as good as the individual publication. You want to dismiss something you aren't happy with?

It doesn't work that way.

It does for me.

Quote:

I agree that he was wrong about the mouse. So what? He's a pundit. They are paid to make extreme points. Otherwise no one would pay attention.

I hold pundits to a higher standard, I guess. They have to have some idea of what they're talking about, and not say things only to get a reaction. Otherwise, they're pretty much worthless.

And if they are usually wrong and saying things only to get a reaction, I might as well watch 'Maury' instead... it'd be the same thing.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

It does for me.

I hold pundits to a higher standard, I guess. They have to have some idea of what they're talking about, and not say things only to get a reaction. Otherwise, they're pretty much worthless.

And if they are usually wrong and saying things only to get a reaction, I might as well watch 'Maury' instead... it'd be the same thing.

Pundits give their opinion. They are designed to elicit controversy. They are simply part of the entertainment world.

I accept them as such, which is why it doesn't bother me.

As long as someone doesn't come out with an intentional factual lie, I simply find myself to be amused by what they say.

He's made mistakes, given his opinions, but I've never caught him in an actual lie.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    John Dvorak is John Dork
  • Reply 29 of 53
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Guess I was wrong about what would happen after earnings! Wish I hadn't sold - I do still think it was a sensible and defensible decision, but after the market's reaction to the great earnings (which I DID expect ) especially on a bloody day like today, I'm buying back in.

Hope I didn't piss anyone off too much... oh and gooo Apple! 200 here we go!

(PS to all you longs, THIS would be the sign for you to sell )
  • Reply 30 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Mel, whether or not it was a slip or planned doesn't really matter. Neither does what 'fanbois' do or don't do.

Because no matter how you slice it, Dvorak is still a whore. \

And frankly, I'm amazed that someone of your intellect and character would waste time defending him. Trust me Mel, Duh-hor-hack is beneath you.

Hating him helps him. So stop helping him. Ignore him.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Guess I was wrong about what would happen after earnings! Wish I hadn't sold - I do still think it was a sensible and defensible decision, but after the market's reaction to the great earnings (which I DID expect ) especially on a bloody day like today, I'm buying back in.

don't fret.

we all make assumptions about where the stock will go after earnings and sometimes we are right and sometimes wrong.

I sold after last earnings hoping for a correction around 100 which never came. I jumped right back in at 104 and have been buying eversince.

tomorrow will be a green day for aapl since the market was oversold. we might get lucky and even hit 150.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Pundits give their opinion. They are designed to elicit controversy. They are simply part of the entertainment world.

I accept them as such, which is why it doesn't bother me.

They are being presented (and unfortunately accepted) more and more often as legitimate sources of news. That's what bothers me......
  • Reply 33 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

They are being presented (and unfortunately accepted) more and more often as legitimate sources of news. That's what bothers me......

So, that makes John Dvorak the Ann Coulter ("Coultergeist") of tech reportage.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

And now the #1 PC weenie in the world is admiting he likes Macs....And recommends them to other people.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp

Apple is a rocket blasting off.

Hey, this is a Dvorak-free zone. With all due respect, please do not post anything by that idiot. Anything that gives him pub means we have that much longer to put up with his nonsensical drivel.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    At what percentage of market share for computers will Apple reach when they catch of to MS in worth?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ha!.

My broker's been telling me that since it was 38, and his reaction to my "No!", was: "What, do you think it will go to 40?"

Well, it went a bit beyond that before it split.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

No, they aren't. The fact that they are opinionated is pretty obvious, or we wouldn't be writing all of this.

I take it for what it's worth.

I really don't think it's worth getting upset over.

I rarely read what he writes, though sometimes, if the subject is interesting, I will.

One problem is that Mac "fans" get too enervated over anything they think is a slur upon their platform. I don't.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

At what percentage of market share for computers will Apple reach when they catch of to MS in worth?

That's not an answerable question.

You would somehow have to disassociate all of Apple's other major product lines from the Mac sales, and be able to predict just how each of them will be doing.

That's just not possible.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Y'know, I bought MS and AAPL around the same time, never sold any of either... and look who's come out the big winner.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Hating [Dvorak] helps him. So stop helping him. Ignore him.

I don't 'hate' him. I just think he sucks, and see him for what he is... a whore. \

Or put another way, if I saw him on the street, I might give him a wedgie, but I wouldn't push him into oncoming traffic.

In any case, I agree that we've discussed the Moronic One enough.