Goldman: Apple prepping redesigned iMacs, full-screen iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those days is over.

That may well be, but is there any particular reason why you think that?
  • Reply 22 of 70
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

so basically hes saying new imacs, mac pros, macbooks, mini or mini replacement and ipods between now and sept 31st.

reading between the lines though it sounded like the imacs will be the last to be updated, which if this is the case, very much doubt they will be ready for the 7th.

This sounds like too much in too little time. Why would Apple put all of its apples into one barrell when they don't have to?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd say the opposite. New iPods need to come out for the holiday season, but these need to be pushed back as far as possible to give the iPhone more breathing room. I expect the new iPods to be release around Spet. 16th, when the Back To School special ends.

I think October would be better but Leopard will have the October time slot.

I am expecting these new Macs in August. This gives two to three months of new Macs with Tiger. The longer the distance between this new HW and SW the less likely it will make people feel gypped (but we know this will happen anyway).

I doubt we will see new Mac Pros anytime soon. No Penryn MBs and Xeons, no new Mac Pros. I haven't seen anything that indicated that Intel is about to roll these out in the near future.

And I also wouldn't expect new iPods until later this year. I think Apple is getting more savvy about when they release products and making the most of all the fanfare. New iPods released in the holiday buying season would viturally guarantee Apple an outstanding quarter.

New iMacs and maybe an updated Macbook would easily cover this quarter along with continuing sales of the iPhone.

Start the October quarter out by releasing Leopard on Halloween (dress up like a Leopard and get to look like a looney in line at your local Apple Store). And end the quarter with a flurry of iPod sales as everyone buys the "must-have" present of the season.

And then a new Mac Pro for MacWorld. Maybe new Cinema Displays too.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    I just saw a report on Macrumors saying the iPods woudn't be fullscreen.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

...No Penryn MBs and Xeons, no new Mac Pros. I haven't seen anything that indicated that Intel is about to roll these out in the near future....

Mmmmk, just found this over at MacNN. If true then maybe we will see new Mac Pros this quarter.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That may well be, but is there any particular reason why you think that?

Apple has abandoned that format. It was VERY unpopular in schools, which are the biggest iMac buying segment. It was also unpopular in business, which, believe it or not, is also a big segment of the iMac buying population.

The current designs are much more popular in both of those segments. Together they probably, from what I see, comprise at least half of iMac sales.

It was also more expensive to manufacture.

Apple has gone to the monitor format for good reason, I think. It will be some time until they find a better solution.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

I doubt we will see new Mac Pros anytime soon. No Penryn MBs and Xeons, no new Mac Pros. I haven't seen anything that indicated that Intel is about to roll these out in the near future.

While I'm not sure about new Mac Pros soon either, we may see Penyrn for mobile, and Wolfdale (2 core), and Kentsfield (4 core) for the desktop sooner than you might think.

Intel has already, ahead of schedule, given out sample quantities of those chips to OEM's. I would imagine that includes Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple has abandoned that format. It was VERY unpopular in schools, which are the biggest iMac buying segment. It was also unpopular in business, which, believe it or not, is also a big segment of the iMac buying population.

The current designs are much more popular in both of those segments. Together they probably, from what I see, comprise at least half of iMac sales.

It was also more expensive to manufacture.

Apple has gone to the monitor format for good reason, I think. It will be some time until they find a better solution.

The construction of the new iMacs is also more durable and has less moving parts. Though I do miss my iMac with articulating arm. Those were so damn cool.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:

While I'm not sure about new Mac Pros soon either, we may see Penyrn for mobile, and Wolfdale (2 core), and Kentsfield (4 core) for the desktop sooner than you might think.

Intel has already, ahead of schedule, given out sample quantities of those chips to OEM's. I would imagine that includes Apple.

Hmmm, Penryn iMacs anyone???
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

Mmmmk, just found this over at MacNN. If true then maybe we will see new Mac Pros this quarter.

I don't see how this would affect the Mac Pro.

Apple is not likely to move to 4 chips on the desktop.

I'm also skeptical about seeing 4 chips in the small servers Apple has today.

Besides, these are 65nm chips, and will soon become obsolete.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

Hmmm, Penryn iMacs anyone???

No doubt whatsoever.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    I assume similar concepts have been thrown out there countless times, but since i havent seen any mockups of one yet, i thought i'd contribute my 10 minutes. obviously the interface would be revamped but this is the best i could do with a quick google search for nano and shuffle to put it together.

• Reply 32 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Also from the pointing out the obvious news service... Earth = Round.

Whoa, whoa, whoa I think I'll need to get an overpaid analyst to check that before I believe it.

This game can't be this easy I think I'll give it a go. Ok I'm going to make an analysis, hold onto your hats:

In the coming months, Apple is expected to roll out new iMacs, new keyboards and new ipods.

BOOM, now someone pay me.

What baffles me is how much work can they really be putting into reaching these empty conclusions to justify anything except a kick up the arse?

And more to the point, why is AI reporting it like it means anything to us and not important stories like that Gears of War is coming to the Mac?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you mean by "G4" in it. I really don't get it.

Thanks for asking I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Apple has trimmed the iMac design down to almost nothing since the original iMac. It's hard to imagine they could do anything else to what is basically a monitor now, accept keep making the components smaller and lighter. I've heard people miss the capability of adjusting the monitors height, like you could with the "arm" style model. Maybe they will add that feature to the stand of the new iMac.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Apple has trimmed the iMac design down to almost nothing since the original iMac. It's hard to imagine they could do anything else to what is basically a monitor now, accept keep making the components smaller and lighter. I've heard people miss the capability of adjusting the monitors height, like you could with the "arm" style model. Maybe they will add that feature to the stand of the new iMac.

Yes. Apple has simplified this design as much as possible. The ultimate in Bauhaus design philosophy of "design follows function."

Is it perfect ? No.

But, as you say, a slight improvement here and there. Once you have the best general design concept, all that remains is to refine it. So, unless Apple thinks that sales are going down, or are not improving enough, they likely won't find a reason to change it. I hope they do make incremental improvements, but keep it.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    One thing I would like to see is a multi-touch screen. I've used touch screens, and they offer many advantages.

There are those here who dislike the very thought. But, then, there are those who hated the concept of the mouse, and drop down menus as well.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally

I like the look of that, but two things concern me. Battery life, and a shuffle without tactile feedback wouldn't really be a good thing IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    The iMac's non-adjustable height has incorporated one less thing to go wrong. The iMac's screen tilts, so there is some adjustment possible.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I would like to see the iMac hardware designers locked in the repair center and forced to repair all iMacs themselves.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I would like to see the iMac hardware designers locked in the repair center and forced to repair all iMacs themselves.

Modern appliances, and let's face it Steve Jobs believes the computer should be one, are notoriously difficult to repair. We're in the era of replace half the machine because taking it apart to find the $1 part that failed is too difficult. Thus the iMac, being as close to appliance as a computer gets, is a PITA to fix, albeit nothing like the dreaded 12" PowerBook. There really isn't anything like getting paid for 40 minutes to do a repair that even the best technician in the world can't possibly accomplish in under 2 hours.

While I put no real faith in Apple releasing a consumer priced, expandable desktop in my lifetime, I must admit the phrase "product transition" improved my mood today.