Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2020
Photos of an ultra-thin Apple keyboard have surfaced on the web, stirring considerable debate, as they appear match AppleInsider's earlier description of a next-generation iMac keyboard.

The photos first appeared on this flickr account and have since been widely syndicated across the web. One photo reveals that the new keyboard, which appears to be a pre-production unit, carries the codename "M89."

Historically, Apple has used an "M" prefix to reference peripherals that are under development and a "Q" prefix for computer systems. For example, the company's original Mighty Mouse design was frequently referred to as "M18" prior to its release.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple's upcoming makeover to the iMac line would include new super-slim external keyboards.

Sources familiar with the matter had said the new peripheral would sport an aesthetic and feel similar to the low-profile keyboards used in Apple's 13-inch MacBook notebooks.

Apple is widely expected to take the wraps off its next-generation iMacs in the coming weeks. For more on what to expect from the new systems, please see AppleInsider's previous coverage:

1) Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace
2) Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference
3) Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer
4) Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Apple's Current MacBook Keyboard (for comparrison)

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Next-gen iMac keyboard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 244
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Hrm. I'm thinking 'prototype'.

Interesting, though. I don't doubt it'll be something like that.
  • Reply 2 of 244
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The radius around the corners is too round compared with the actual keys, which to me, suggests that they are fake.

Is not that about the same as the Mabook keys? It could be the real thing. Well, we wait and see if Apple jumps on them. And in the meantime, someone please save those pictures for later reference.
  • Reply 3 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Is not that about the same as the Mabook keys? It could be the real thing. Well, we wait and see if Apple jumps on them. And in the meantime, someone please save those pictures for later reference.

Yeah, looking through the gallery, I'm almost positive that it's legitimate. It probably is, though, a prototype unit, given that the materials and designers are listed on the sticker and there's another that says 'Not cosmetic unit'.
  • Reply 4 of 244
    It's Hot.

I wonder what F3 and F4 are about? expose/monitor shifting and sleep respectively?

EDIT: Wired via USB?? (And I think the F4 might be Timemachine)

The new iMac is going to look sexy...
  • Reply 5 of 244
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    I am thinking definitely legit! This thing has "Apple" written all over it both literally (see pictures of the back) but also in style and design. Apple's design always tries to combine esthetics with function - just look at the keyboard "stand" in the back that raises the keyboard to a level of comfort - it's not some piece of plastic like on the G3/G4/G5/Current iMac keyboards - the stand is the USB extension port (both sides, I am assuming).

Also, if you look really close at the close up shot of the keys themselves, it looks like there is a bit of depth to the lettering in the middle of the keys - which makes me think that these keys could, in fact, be backlit. The lettering looks as if light could shine throughlike the MBP, and not that they were just painted on like with the previous stand apple keyboard.

Lastly, I am less sure about this one, but I cannot tell if there if a band of light coming from the underside of the keyboard to illuminate the desktop a little or not. I can't tell from the pictures if it is glare, or focused light coming from the keyboard stand in the direction of the front of the keyboard on the underside.

Summary:

- Incorporated stand/USM ports

- Backlit keys

- "Ground Effects" (for lack of a better term).

All in all, this thing looks sweet. Thoughts?
  • Reply 6 of 244
    I'm feeling the keyboard
  • Reply 7 of 244
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    .... but... but... where is the on the command key?

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 8 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

- Backlit keys

Good catch! Especially in the arrow keys. I hope it's so.

Quote:

- "Ground Effects" (for lack of a better term).

Hope not!
  • Reply 9 of 244
    Quote:

- Backlit keys

Sorry, not seeing it. I zoomed way in and then compared it to my MacBook keyboard. Looks about the same. As much as I'd love backlit keys, I don't think they're in here.
  • Reply 10 of 244
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like the general look of it.

I like the expose and dashboard dedicated keys.

Don't like the new position of the eject key. In the corner i always knew where it was. It may just take some time getting used to it.

Finally the order of the mute, volume down, volume up keys make sense!

Media keys are cool. Hope it works with Quicktime, iMovie, and iTunes.

Up to F19? I think those would better be used as dedicated Expose/Spaces/Dashboard keys.
  • Reply 11 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Sorry, not seeing it. I zoomed way in and then compared it to my MacBook keyboard. Looks about the same. As much as I'd love backlit keys, I don't think they're in here.

You know, a backlit keyboard was for a long time a wet dream of many people here and elsewhere, but Apple seems to think otherwise. From the beginning Apple let people understand that even the 12" Powerbook (a Pro model) does not deserves it.
  • Reply 12 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

It is called "command" now. Literally.
  • Reply 13 of 244
    Here's hoping that the wireless version has a lithium-ion battery and is USB chargeable. If the PS3 controller can do that (with a huge battery life, no less) for a $60 cost then surely a keyboard can too.
  • Reply 14 of 244
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

You know, a backlit keyboard was for a long time a wet dream of many people here and elsewhere, but Apple seems to think otherwise. From the beginning Apple let people understand that even the 12" Powerbook (a Pro model) does not deserves it.

You phrased this sentence in a very strange way.
  • Reply 15 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You phrased this sentence in a very strange way.

What's wrong?
  • Reply 16 of 244
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

I know. First they deep six the similing Mac start-up and now this. Very sad.
  • Reply 17 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

I know. First they deep six the similing Mac start-up and now this. Very sad.

Or a clear sign of a fake?
  • Reply 18 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

Windows users like Mac keyboard too - I'm guessing that's why they've used printed names on the pgup/down, home/end.

This keyboard looks absolutely amazing to me. The only thing that immediately puts me off is the fn-key. We're not laptop users so why force us to use a hotkey? Since I doubt most people use the f-keys as function keys anyway, my guess is they'll make it so that it controls volume etc by default and using the fn-key will mean activating e.g an f11 keypress.

But now Expose or Dashboard is on F3?? This will take some getting used to.

Also what is up with the two delete keys? One is backspace. Now people are going to think they do the same thing. The support lines will be 'but I am pressing the delete key', 'no, the other delete key'.

And moving the USB ports again. First they were on the side, then in the middle now on the side again. I actually got used to them being in the middle.

My biggest concern is weight really. I sit it on my lap so I like a feather-weight keyboard. The old Apple keyboard weighed a freakin' ton.

Also, this had better get onto the front page and in red letters. Not only is this confirmation of the existence of the device, there are pictures of it. You can't get better than that for a confirmed rumor and it also hints at us nearing iMac release because the keyboards go with the machine and they look ready to ship. The metallic look also increases the likelihood of metal iMacs.
  • Reply 19 of 244
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 20 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Also, this had better get onto the front page and in red letters. Not only is this confirmation of the existence of the device, there are pictures of it. You can't get better than that for a confirmed rumor and it also hints at us nearing iMac release because the keyboards go with the machine and they look ready to ship. The metallic look also increases the likelihood of metal iMacs.

Although it is particularly convincing, it could be fake after all as the pictures are still up.