Analysts up targets as Apple valuation surpasses Hewlett-Packard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Y'know, I bought MS and AAPL around the same time, never sold any of either... and look who's come out the big winner.

I bought MS shortly after it IPO'd, and held for a few years. I can't argue with that!
  • Reply 42 of 53
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, they aren't.

Yes, they are.

Seriously though, I still love you
  • Reply 43 of 53
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Pundits give their opinion. They are designed to elicit controversy. They are simply part of the entertainment world.

I accept them as such, which is why it doesn't bother me.

As long as someone doesn't come out with an intentional factual lie, I simply find myself to be amused by what they say.

He's made mistakes, given his opinions, but I've never caught him in an actual lie.

Once upon a time, JCD was a creditable tech writer even if you didn't agree with his opinions. Somewhere along the way, he lost himself. He now has zero credibility, as, by his own admission, he spouts nonsense just to provoke controversy on both sides of an issue. I have seen him on sequential shows take 180 opposing positions merely to provoke an outcry by either side. He has chosen this path to make his living. What a pity. He is now the "clown prince" of tech analysts and as such, should be given the due that title implies.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Once upon a time, JCD was a creditable tech writer even if you didn't agree with his opinions. Somewhere along the way, he lost himself. He now has zero credibility, as, by his own admission, he spouts nonsense just to provoke controversy on both sides of an issue. I have seen him on sequential shows take 180 opposing positions merely to provoke an outcry by either side. He has chosen this path to make his living. What a pity. He is now the "clown prince" of tech analysts and as such, should be given the due that title implies.

Somewhere along the line, unlike other tech writers, he learned how to publicize himself, and in the process, figured out how to make a lot of money.

That's why he isn't a real tech analyst anymore, he's a pundit.

If you guys can't tell the difference, then that's why we disagree.

Pundits don't have to give good logical arguments, though sometimes they do. They are paid to express strong, often controversial, opinions that get people to pay attention.

Like it or not, that's exactly what he does. And, he's good at it.

He isn't asking for love, just enough interest to make his writings read often enough for his employers to appreciate his being there.

Stop taking this so seriously. It's really not that important.

Apple's fortunes will rise or fall despite anything he says, and despite the pundits who can't seem to find anything wrong with Apple, despite the many flaws that we constantly discuss.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Somewhere along the line, unlike other tech writers, he learned how to publicize himself, and in the process, figured out how to make a lot of money.

That's why he isn't a real tech analyst anymore, he's a pundit.

If you guys can't tell the difference, then that's why we disagree.

Pundits don't have to give good logical arguments, though sometimes they do. They are paid to express strong, often controversial, opinions that get people to pay attention.

Like it or not, that's exactly what he does. And, he's good at it.

He isn't asking for love, just enough interest to make his writings read often enough for his employers to appreciate his being there.

Stop taking this so seriously. It's really not that important.

Apple's fortunes will rise or fall despite anything he says, and despite the pundits who can't seem to find anything wrong with Apple, despite the many flaws that we constantly discuss.

It is funny, though, isn't it? I mean, how many belligerent drunks have become successful? We're basically getting the same behavior.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

It is funny, though, isn't it? I mean, how many belligerent drunks have become successful? We're basically getting the same behavior.

You do know, that you guys are deliberately overdoing it?

The "belligerent drunks" statement sounds more like some of the responses here, if you read some of the comments.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I don't 'hate' him. I just think he sucks, and see him for what he is... a whore. \

Or put another way, if I saw him on the street, I might give him a wedgie, but I wouldn't push him into oncoming traffic.

It doesn't matter, I think even that would help him. It may be as good as dropping ten Gs in his bank account.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

You do know, that you guys are deliberately overdoing it?

The "belligerent drunks" statement sounds more like some of the responses here, if you read some of the comments.

Mel, if the guy is paid to make outrageous statements (such as his long-term unsupported dislike of the Mac, just recently debunked...by himself) he should expect a savage beating for offering up the red meat. He's certainly not hated like Coulter, but he has his share of 'enemies'.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Mel, if the guy is paid to make outrageous statements (such as his long-term unsupported dislike of the Mac, just recently debunked...by himself) he should expect a savage beating for offering up the red meat. He's certainly not hated like Coulter, but he has his share of 'enemies'.

I agree with the idea of not liking him. I'm not saying that he should be liked for it. But Coulter is a very different person. Her hatreds are seriously divisive on topics that affect out national understanding of ourselves as a people. She deliberately sets people against one another based on economic class, ethnic background, and religion.

He's talking about bits, bytes, and hardware, not a topic I think should get people in an uproar.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

I agree with the idea of not liking him. I'm not saying that he should be liked for it. But Coulter is a very different person. Her hatreds are seriously divisive on topics that affect out national understanding of ourselves as a people. She deliberately sets people against one another based on economic class, ethnic background, and religion.

He's talking about bits, bytes, and hardware, not a topic I think should get people in an uproar.

I don't argue with that assessment, but people tend to defend their interests.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

I don't argue with that assessment, but people tend to defend their interests.

True.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I don't think one can really explain away Dvorak's shortcomings as easily as all that. \

'He makes money', 'he is successful', 'he's an entertainer' really aren't defenses. If they were, Jerry Springer would be held in high esteem.

Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Mel.

• Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I don't think one can really explain away Dvorak's shortcomings as easily as all that. \

'He makes money', 'he is successful', 'he's an entertainer' really aren't defenses. If they were, Jerry Springer would be held in high esteem.

Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Mel.

That's ok, it's a fun discussion.