Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Comments

• Reply 41 of 244
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So you take someone else's photos and watermark them with your logo? How professional.

Yeah, why should they do what Engadget has perfected?
  • Reply 42 of 244
    citycity Posts: 522member
    the photographer needs a new ruler
  • Reply 43 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taugust04 View Post

New keyboards are definitely coming soon. I have had an Apple Keyboard/Mouse set that I ordered for a Mac Mini on backorder since the beginning of July. The item ship date keeps getting pushed back once a week.

This would explain things nicely. This may not just be for the iMac, but for the entire line of Apple desktop products.

Gosh, you're a genius.
  • Reply 44 of 244
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Keyboards such as laptop keyboards which use "scissor" mechanisms are significantly more flimsy than standard "plunger" type keyboards. One of the most common reasons that laptops are taken in for service is due to keys coming off the keyboard during normal usage. And it's not like people are pounding their fists on the laptop. They are using the laptop keyboard just as they would a desktop keyboard.
  • Reply 45 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

very nice! I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to type on though. Who really likes laptop keyboards more than regular ones?

That would be me. The short travel of laptop keyboards make it possible for me to type about twice as fast as on any regular keyboard, including the current Apple keyboards. This will be a welcome change.
  • Reply 46 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Keyboards such as laptop keyboards which use "scissor" mechanisms are significantly more flimsy than standard "plunger" type keyboards. One of the most common reasons that laptops are taken in for service is due to keys coming off the keyboard during normal usage. And it's not like people are pounding their fists on the laptop. They are using the laptop keyboard just as they would a desktop keyboard.

Apparently you've never watched me compute. You could film an action mini-series about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So you take someone else's photos and watermark them with your logo? How professional.

Yeah, AI... way to photoshop out someone else's watermark and put in your own. You're a slew of scheming, cheating bastards...

And yes, I am prepared to lose two more points.

-Clive
  • Reply 47 of 244
    Oh, and by the way, I'd like to take a moment of silence to remember the "open-apple" key.

[...]

[...]

[...]

Requiescat in pace, dearest Open-Apple Key.

-Clive
  • Reply 48 of 244
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    I'm just wondering when we'll get the coveted LCD keyboard? The new multi-touch keyboard that can turn into a mixing console for Garageband/Logic/Soundtrack, or feature a jog-shuttle for FCS/Avid....
  • Reply 49 of 244
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It looks pretty sweet, but in the edge-on photo you can already see one of the keys at a slightly different angle than the others. That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about this keyboard's long-term durability.

It's part of the way the board is constructed. My MacBook keyboard has similar 'problems' but it's good as new after a year and a half. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Reply 50 of 244
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Yeah, AI... way to photoshop out someone else's watermark and put in your own. You're a slew of scheming, cheating bastards...

And yes, I am prepared to lose two more points.

-Clive

The original photos were on Flickr, sans watermark. Engadget did the same thing, adding their own watermark once it was posted.
  • Reply 51 of 244
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Any chance of a power button? Any way to power the Mac from the keyboard or not pushing the Mac power button, which is under the table?
  • Reply 52 of 244
    If you look at the command key it actually says command on it and the command symbol but no apple symbol i dont think this is real
  • Reply 53 of 244
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    I may regret it, but I call shenanigans.

If they're going for a brushed metal look, this thing would look FAR better (and have a better touch, I might add) using the key configuration from a MBP rather than a standard MP. Add to that, those MBP keys are both already back-lit (something this beast is supposed to do) and do not have spaces between the keys, which may make the keyboard more compact, which seems to fit better with Apple's design philosophy.

Also, why in the heck include the USB cable in these shots? Surely they'd select a bluetooth model to display... I think the white cord is there for effect.

I hope this isn't the one. Sure it's slick and thin and all, but it isn't pretty enough to be an Apple product design... next to the iPhone, which is the most recent sample of Apple design we have, this thing's ugly as a boot.
  • Reply 54 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Also they finally named the alt key both option and alt. Apple always called it the option key but it's marked as an alt key on a lot of their keyboards.
  • Reply 55 of 244
    This maybe a real keyboard but i dont think its apples. with the placement of the function key and the lack of apple symbol on the command key, the volume the play/pause skip << and >> the eject key,
  • Reply 56 of 244
    The man from Del Monté says yes.

And yes, by real I mean the new keyboard that comes with the new iMac will be 'this' keyboard.
  • Reply 57 of 244
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matto889 View Post

If you look at the command key it actually says command on it and the command symbol but no apple symbol i dont think this is real

So? It is the command key, and when you look in the OS at keyboard commands in the menu, you see the command symbol. The Apple on the keyboard was a holdover from the Apple ][ days. I'm not saying good riddance but anyone could have seen this coming.
  • Reply 58 of 244
    I noticed the Command button just says command and doesn't have the ordinary outlined Apple Logo. Nice try though. Probably not the new keyboard. Besides, Jobs just came out and said he doesn't like buttons because they are not aesthetically pleasing.
  • Reply 59 of 244
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Uh-huh. So it's

a) one metre thick or

b) one millimetre thick or

c) just thick
  • Reply 60 of 244
    *kicks and screams*

You can't move my volume keys, remove the Apple symbol, AND make it a laptop keyboard. I can't freaking take it.

And is it just me or does the white on aluminum look tacky? I mean if it was white on white like the MB it would look fine (besides the iMac 'not' being white).