Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Comments

• Reply 61 of 244
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like how they right justified the keys on the right and left justified the keys on the left.
  • Reply 62 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richhather View Post

Besides, Jobs just came out and said he doesn't like buttons because they are not aesthetically pleasing.

So he is going to take away the keyboard? Now that will be the day. I mean sure for light use that required no text input, but with people that need to type papers and forum posts they are here to stay.
  • Reply 63 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Keyboards such as laptop keyboards which use "scissor" mechanisms are significantly more flimsy than standard "plunger" type keyboards. One of the most common reasons that laptops are taken in for service is due to keys coming off the keyboard during normal usage. And it's not like people are pounding their fists on the laptop. They are using the laptop keyboard just as they would a desktop keyboard.

I've had a cheap and nasty advent keyboard, which you can get for about £10:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/5758...-multimed.html

for over a year and it works great. I haven't heard of Macbook users complaining at the quality of the keyboards either so I don't think that will be a problem.

Typing on the scissor keyboards is so much easier on the hands because you don't need nearly as much pressure. It's one reason I ditched Apple's keyboard in favor of the Advent one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx

Any chance of a power button? Any way to power the Mac from the keyboard or not pushing the Mac power button, which is under the table?

Yeah, I've been waiting for a return of the power key for ages. It's even more appropriate now that they keep putting the power keys in more awkward to reach places.
  • Reply 64 of 244
    I agree, the white on aluminum does look tacky. As does the white plastic bottom. The only saving grace may be that Apple's aluminum finish generally looks lighter than these pictures indicate, so it may look better IRL.
  • Reply 65 of 244
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I like the design. As far as the absence of the Apple symbol on the Command key...well...Macs run Windows now, so, I can understand the omission. Hey, it's a money making opportunity from somebody...stick on Apple/Windows logos.

Doesn't the bottom view, around the USB connectors look a bit wonky? I mean, it appears (from my amateurish eyes, at least) that the area between & below the USB ports is deeper than the ports, but the side view says the ports are the lowest portion of the keyboard. Maybe it's me.
  • Reply 66 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So you take someone else's photos and watermark them with your logo? How professional.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk View Post

That would be me. The short travel of laptop keyboards make it possible for me to type about twice as fast as on any regular keyboard, including the current Apple keyboards. This will be a welcome change.

I also prefer laptop keyboards to desktop keyboards. When switching from my iBook G3's keyboard to a black or white Apple Pro keyboard, the Pro's keys feel mushy in comparison. I also type faster on my iBook's keyboard: ~50wpm on an Apple Pro keyboard, ~60wpm on my iBook's keyboard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Any chance of a power button? Any way to power the Mac from the keyboard or not pushing the Mac power button, which is under the table?

I do miss this feature from the blue-and-white keyboards (the only USB keyboards with a power button...) and the beige keyboards. It's one of the things that I like about my iBook: the power button essentially is on the keyboard, nice and convenient.

I think that the media keys are nice. Anyone know what the F3 and F4 keys are?
  • Reply 67 of 244
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Where is the function selector key? The way it looks there, screen dim is F1, screen brightness is F2, but that leaves out alternate uses of the F1 & F2 keys, not to mention all the other functions. The notebooks have a key that alternates the use of the key.

OK, wait, it appears to be above the arrow keys. Then where's the help key? I suppose users of this keyboard will never need help?
  • Reply 68 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

*kicks and screams*

You can't move my volume keys, remove the Apple symbol, AND make it a laptop keyboard. I can't freaking take it.

And is it just me or does the white on aluminum look tacky? I mean if it was white on white like the MB it would look fine (besides the iMac 'not' being white).

Not only did they move the volume keys, but it looks like we might have to hit shift in order to use them???

If not, what are the changes for expose?

No apple button...

This might be close to the design but I can't see them making those stupid changes to the buttons.
  • Reply 69 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

very nice! I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to type on though. Who really likes laptop keyboards more than regular ones?

I prefer my MacBook's keyboard over any other keyboard that I've typed one. This new keyboard looks incredibly tasty to me.
  • Reply 70 of 244
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    who has bets on a new mouse too?
  • Reply 71 of 244
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

I prefer my MacBook's keyboard over any other keyboard that I've typed one. This new keyboard looks incredibly tasty to me.

Ditto.
  • Reply 72 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Where is the function selector key? The way it looks there, screen dim is F1, screen brightness is F2, but that leaves out alternate uses of the F1 & F2 keys, not to mention all the other functions. The notebooks have a key that alternates the use of the key.

OK, wait, it appears to be above the arrow keys. Then where's the help key? I suppose users of this keyboard will never need help?

last time I checked the option for making the screen brighter or darker is only on the laptops and not on the desktops. At least it isn't on my Intel iMac.
  • Reply 73 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richhather View Post

I noticed the Command button just says command and doesn't have the ordinary outlined Apple Logo. Nice try though. Probably not the new keyboard. Besides, Jobs just came out and said he doesn't like buttons because they are not aesthetically pleasing.

I don't know if he's directly said that in public. I wonder if you are referring to the recent WSJ blog post / article, which wasn't an interview, but a synthesis and interpretation of many pieces of information.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article....html?mod=blog
  • Reply 74 of 244
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So you take someone else's photos and watermark them with your logo? How professional.

Those are watermarks? I was getting excited about the idea of my next Mac keyboard was going to be AI-branded! Way to dash THOSE hopes!

• Reply 75 of 244
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    The third picture shows a label on the back of the keyboard that says "Apple Development Team" - this is a prototype, not a final model.
  • Reply 76 of 244
    Eh, the look isn't awful, but I still prefer the current keyboard apart from its tendency to get full of eyelashes and random debris. What we really, really need is a USB-chargeable li-ion battery wireless keyboard. You could use it as wireless or unwired, it could continue to be a USB hub when plugged in, and no more buying batteries for the damn thing. It'd be the perfect Apple keyboard.
  • Reply 77 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Whether or not it is called "command key," I think it makes no sense to remove ALL visible apple-branding from the top of the KB. I think this is not a production unit... if real at all.

I agree. Why get rid of the Apple logo from the key? Working all these years in my mind it has been "Apple + S" to save. Not "Command + S." "Apple + P" for print. Not "Command + P." Etc. When you incorporate the company's name in 100's of daily functions like that; Now that is branding!
  • Reply 78 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by healingrevivalist View Post

last time I checked the option for making the screen brighter or darker is only on the laptops and not on the desktops. At least it isn't on my Intel iMac.

You are right. I don't think there is anything preventing that change from happening, iMac's screen brightness is software controlled, and it's the same way for any Mac using a Cinema Display.

It looks like a pretty elaborate mock-up. If it's not a photo of a real Apple part, it would seem a lot of work was put into it. It could be real. If it is, then the Mac Pro would get a better matching keyboard, and better match the alleged aluminum iMac. If it's not, then someone's spent a lot of time making a dummy keyboard.

The rearranged keys could be that way to throw people off and think it's fake, or could be someone else reimagining the way things might be, but I think it might be too drastic of a change, even for Apple.
  • Reply 79 of 244
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by healingrevivalist View Post

try F15 and F14...

I like how the "help" key has been removed and replaced with the laptop "fn" key
  • Reply 80 of 244
    "Not cosmetic unit"??? What does this mean? ...Anybody???