Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Comments

• Reply 101 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Anyone know what the F3 and F4 keys are?

Expose and Dashboard, respectively.

-Clive
  • Reply 102 of 244
    moukkismoukkis Posts: 17member
    Looks absolutelt awful. Wouldn't buy it.

Don't think this is the actualy keyboard...just doesnt go with anything I have ever learnt about Apple and design.
  • Reply 103 of 244
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by healingrevivalist View Post

ahhh, thanks Paul, I never knew that! F14 and F15 for brightness on the iMac! hooray!

Holy cow, I didn't know that either.
  • Reply 104 of 244
    mauimacmauimac Posts: 26member
    The keyboard looks as if it was made to go along with a "brushed metal" enclosure...
  • Reply 105 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiMac View Post

The keyboard looks as if it was made to go along with a "brushed metal" enclosure...

Or maybe just match the stand; I'm not crazy about an anodized aluminum iMac, it wouldn't be purdiful.
  • Reply 106 of 244
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Holy cow, I didn't know that either.

It is there for ages, but without a mark it would be tricky for someone without Mac experience to guess. I found it years ago just trying the keys.
  • Reply 107 of 244
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

The MBP has a great keyboard feel, but it's also a tray keyboard. Things can slip in, and I'm not so sure the MBP/PowerBook design would hold up as well on a desktop without a full laptop underneath to support it. My guess is also that the keys are the same relative size as those on the current keyboard, which is pretty small compared to some.

Oh, I dunno. I've found that typing on my MBP is pretty sweet. Better touch than the current Mac keyboard by a mile. I often thought they'd really dropped the ball designing the Mac keyboard, when you just KNOW they can do better.

That said, I do admit a personal bias toward the MBP keyboard. Having used the others, the Mac external keyboard gets all kinds of crud in it, and because it's white, ALL if it shows up. And while the keys on standard MBs are certainly passable and better than the current external one, I was always weirded out by the spaces between the keys. Makes it look either lego-like or dental disaster-like... sorta rinky-dink to me.

Quote:

If this is the iMac's keyboard, they probably don't have a Bluetooth version yet (the supporting bar with USB ports probably does have room for batteries, though). It'd have to be the pack-in wired model.

If it didn't have the room for batteries, that'd make it a little disconcerting. I think it's foregone the thing has to at least be able to do bluetooth and be designed for it. Still, that's a true point. It might be that this was the only type currently available.

Quote:

As for prettiness: whether or not this is the final look, I'm wondering whether the camera isn't affecting the perceived look. If you take photos of a MacBook Pro or an iMac's aluminum stand, it often takes on a bronze-like cast that you wouldn't see in person. And who knows? The iMac itself may be a good match.

True... but you can see in one of the images that it's a Nikon DSLR taking the shot... that ought to mean the white balance could be corrected to exact colour representation (assuming the person who took these knows a little about photography ) But really, if they're moving away from the white plastic-big chin model, does it make sense to throwback design on the keys?
  • Reply 108 of 244
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I don't know why people use the term "brushed" when it isn't. The brushed aluminum look is what's at the top of your Safari browser window. Apple doesn't make anything with a brushed anything. The MP, MBP, iPhone, Mac mini, etc. use an anodized aluminum finish, not brushed. Sort of a sandblasted semi-matte silvery aluminum. I imagine that's what the new iMac will look like. Brushed implies streaks. Brushed metal looks like this:

Satin anodized aluminum looks like this:

So, all you media hacks out there, and you know who you are, could you please stop using the term brushed when trying to describe satin anodized aluminum? Please?
  • Reply 109 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

I agree. Why get rid of the Apple logo from the key?

Because they want to create and feed the uncertainty surrounding whether this is Apple or not, and whether real or fake?
  • Reply 110 of 244
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Interesting. Initial thoughts:

1) It's dammed sexy.

2) If it's real, then it looks like anodized aluminum enclosures on the iMacs. Odd, because Apple generally reserves the metal look for Pro products. (Mini the exception)

3) What's with the USB port placement? Most non-Apple USB plugs will be rubbing against the desk, and Shuffle owners are still left with a non-solution... \

4) It's not angle-adjustable!
  • Reply 111 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

4) It's not angle-adjustable!

I guess you just have to get used to Apple's angle on things!
  • Reply 112 of 244
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I like the general look of it.

I like the expose and dashboard dedicated keys.

Don't like the new position of the eject key. In the corner i always knew where it was. It may just take some time getting used to it.

Finally the order of the mute, volume down, volume up keys make sense!

Media keys are cool. Hope it works with Quicktime, iMovie, and iTunes.

Up to F19? I think those would better be used as dedicated Expose/Spaces/Dashboard keys.

I agree. Just a note, the eject key is in the same position on my MacBook Pro.

Does is not look like there is an i/O on the F4 key?

I suspect that the keyboard is designed to reflect the new functionalities re Leopard. That is, if this is truly an Apple keyboard. Anyway, it looks great. And it will surely upset some, particularly many members of this forum who just can't seem to say anything nice about anything. Sounds like the same crap from the same idiots that dissed the iPhone before it came out.
  • Reply 113 of 244
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I don't know why people use the term "brushed" when it isn't. The brushed aluminum look is what's at the top of your Safari browser window. Apple doesn't make anything with a brushed anything. The MP, MBP, iPhone, Mac mini, etc. use an anodized aluminum finish, not brushed. Sort of a sandblasted semi-matte silvery aluminum. I imagine that's what the new iMac will look like. Brushed implies streaks. Brushed metal looks like this:

Satin anodized aluminum looks like this:

So, all you media hacks out there, and you know who you are, could you please stop using the term brushed when trying to describe satin anodized aluminum? Please?

Your first example looks more like machined aluminum than brush, the shine isn't right. I think Apple's technique is to use some form of bead blasting. I've tried sand blasting and then anodizing aluminum, the sand makes the surface way too rough.
  • Reply 114 of 244
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I suppose it was too much to hope there'd be an SD card slot hidden around the back.
  • Reply 115 of 244
    I hope and pray that this isn't the final unit. It looks trashy with white keys and aluminum base. That would look hideous on an iMac!

What I would like to see again though is a power key on the keyboards. Don't really know why they took that off?

Also, as said before, the keys are all screwy. eject is supposed to be all the way to end of the keyboard. By keeping it there, it is easy to blindly eject a cd, as well as prevent yourself from accidently ejecting it. Same thing with volume. if somebody walks while I'm looking at something, and starts to talk to me. I want to be able to quickly look up at them and mute the music at the same time. I don't want to have search for the button first!

Lastly, the might mouse would look like an alien next to the two-toned keyboard, don't you think.

The FN modifier seems in a clunky space as well!

And does it really make sense to nix the help button for the FN modifer?
  • Reply 116 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richhather View Post

I noticed the Command button just says command and doesn't have the ordinary outlined Apple Logo. Nice try though. Probably not the new keyboard. Besides, Jobs just came out and said he doesn't like buttons because they are not aesthetically pleasing.

Hey Einstein, read the f**** thread. Do you think you're the first person to notice that?
  • Reply 117 of 244
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Good clarification. Satin anodized aluminum... it just doesn't roll of the tongue like 'brushed', does it?
  • Reply 118 of 244
    the metal base looks cool, but it may add to the strength significantly... This keyboard is so thin, I doubt you could realistically rely on a plastic base.... Apple has a lot of experience already in building devices with metal backsides : )

Also, I like that the keyboard mimics the MBP... It may be easier to switch between your notebook and desktop... your typing ability on each machine would be consistent, as you wouldn't need to 'get used to' one or the other.... More seamless.

Doesn't look like there's much room for crud to get stuck in there either... my g5 keyboard with the transparent bottom shows two years of dust and coffee stains.
  • Reply 119 of 244
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Also they finally named the alt key both option and alt. Apple always called it the option key but it's marked as an alt key on a lot of their keyboards.

My Apple Pro keyboard that came with my iMac, circa 2003 has both labels on the Option key. This is the only Mac I own, so I can't answer for other machine's keyboards.
  • Reply 120 of 244
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It will certainly be a significant improvement over the current Mac Pro/iMac keyboard, which in my opinion, is almost as bad as the Mighty (awful) Mouse.