The MultiTouch Strategy: Apple vs Microsoft

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I started this thread to see if anyone else is worried about Apple potentially missing the boat with the new MultiTouch technology and not adopting it in some way for the Mac platform. The latest rumors seem to suggest that the iMac (and the new iPod) is going to be lacking MT.

Although Microsofts Surface is just a 'table' I happen to think it's still pretty cool and maybe even innovative in terms of the way it connects to devices on the surface (although i'm not quite sure how and when these devices are going to be equipped to do that).

It appears this is going to be one of the next 'big' battles in the Industry and Microsoft have got a good chance of stealing Mind share by introducing the Surface table followed by lame computer implementations, maybe before Apple get to market.

It doesn't really matter who gets there first but then again it's always about the mind share so I guess in that way it does. People will see the MultiTouch interaction and directly link it to Microsoft all over again unless Apple have got some tasty new products up their sleeve. I'm hoping

January 2008 - MultiTouch Tablet would be nice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Wouldn't it be weird if Surface was Microsoft's Lisa? An expensive prototype that allows them to refine the implementation and blow everyone away with new ways to interact with a computer never imagined?

Pretty crazy eh?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mind-share? Apple already have brought to market the iPhone, which has captured the worlds imagination, let alone mind-share. I am 100% confident the new iPods will be full screen multi-touch, any doubts on this is probably Apple pretending to the competition that they'll be taking their time doing MT iPods - when they'll do anything but.

Well it looks like our immediate dreams of a multi-touch keyboard with the iMac are after been crushed with this new slim-line one after popping up on the scene. And yes, I think it's legit. Still it's a cool looking board. As for a Multi-touch tablet Mac, I'd love one thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I'm not sure multitouch is the best interface for the iPod. Sure, it's the best whiz-bang interface, but I'm not sure it's the best. Yes, I own an iPhone so I deal with pulling it out of my pocket to diddle with controls every day. Compared to my iPod where I could operate it through my shirt pocket there is a definite decrease in ease of use for music functions.

I'm sure the MT iPod will sell in droves anyway though.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

I'm not sure multitouch is the best interface for the iPod. Sure, it's the best whiz-bang interface, but I'm not sure it's the best. Yes, I own an iPhone so I deal with pulling it out of my pocket to diddle with controls every day. Compared to my iPod where I could operate it through my shirt pocket there is a definite decrease in ease of use for music functions.

You're not wrong but what if they experiment a little more with the headphone wire (iPhone stylee). The little click button could come in handy for the physical controls.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude

You so crazy.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mind-share? Apple already have brought to market the iPhone, which has captured the worlds imagination, let alone mind-share.

Exactly, Apple was first with multi-touch. From now on, people will just say, 'hey cool, a table that looks like a big iphone. What's this DirectX error though?'.

Quote:

I am 100% confident the new iPods will be full screen multi-touch, any doubts on this is probably Apple pretending to the competition that they'll be taking their time doing MT iPods - when they'll do anything but.

Yeah I think Apple need to move on this one and I can see a touch ipod coming before the Christmas rush.

With regard to being able to operate it in your pocket, the cool thing is that with a soft phone, Apple can redesign the interface to behave better in different circumstances. For example, a volume control can easily be a slider where you drag your finger from the top of the screen to bottom - it could even figure out the orientation and that way you don't have to worry about it being upside down, the controls would flip automatically.

A touch ipod nano would be so cool because the screen on it just now is a bit small so making it full size would make a lot of sense. The never-ending question is WHEN?!!? There's a point beyond which it stops being excitement and it's just plain frustration. I'm a bit worried that Apple's product launches are turning from 'yay well done Apple, never saw that coming' to 'about freakin' time'.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I am 100% confident the new iPods will be full screen multi-touch, any doubts on this is probably Apple pretending to the competition that they'll be taking their time doing MT iPods - when they'll do anything but.

I'll take that bet. If you're 100% sure, you should be willing to take any odds, right?
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

I started this thread to see if anyone else is worried about Apple potentially missing the boat with the new MultiTouch technology and not adopting it in some way for the Mac platform. The latest rumors seem to suggest that the iMac (and the new iPod) is going to be lacking MT.

Although Microsofts Surface is just a 'table' I happen to think it's still pretty cool and maybe even innovative in terms of the way it connects to devices on the surface (although i'm not quite sure how and when these devices are going to be equipped to do that).

It appears this is going to be one of the next 'big' battles in the Industry and Microsoft have got a good chance of stealing Mind share by introducing the Surface table followed by lame computer implementations, maybe before Apple get to market.

It doesn't really matter who gets there first but then again it's always about the mind share so I guess in that way it does. People will see the MultiTouch interaction and directly link it to Microsoft all over again unless Apple have got some tasty new products up their sleeve. I'm hoping

HP has a real neat multi touch interface computer out right now. No need for a mouse. It's prehaps an 18" screen or so, works really well too....
  • Reply 10 of 61
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

HP has a real neat multi touch interface computer out right now. No need for a mouse. It's prehaps an 18" screen or so, works really well too....

Ah yes, the TouchSmart. The thing that looks like a really badly designed iMac wannabe.

I'm a multitouch advocate and I think we should be allowed to indulge sooner rather than later. Apple has been working on all kinds of multitouch interfaces, but Steve Jobs doesn't think the world is ready for it yet. Bring it on I say. Keyboard and mouse is so last millennium
  • Reply 11 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't care what anyone else says, I still want a replicator.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I'll take that bet. If you're 100% sure, you should be willing to take any odds, right?

Yeah sure, how can we organize this bet then.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Quote:

That's not multi-touch. That's just a GOF touchscreen, one finger instead of a mouse.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Yeah sure, how can we organize this bet then.

If the next iPod is multitouch, my sig will be "Ireland was right and I was wrong" for a month. If the next iPod is clickwheel, your sig will be "BRussell was right and I was wrong" for a month.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    How about no sigs for a year?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

...which has captured the worlds imagination...

THIS part of the world is splitting its sides at the idea of people spunking 600 bucks (which must be nearly 50 quid these days) on a phone that can't do proper 3G.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

THIS part of the world is splitting its sides at the idea of people spunking 600 bucks (which must be nearly 50 quid these days) on a phone that can't do proper 3G.

I wasn't talking about price, but interface. And as you well know, this current version is not the European version. Who knows what's gonna happen there. If it's Edge or anything of the sort Apple should go back the drawing board I say.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

If the next iPod is multitouch, my sig will be "Ireland was right and I was wrong" for a month. If the next iPod is clickwheel, your sig will be "BRussell was right and I was wrong" for a month.

No, how about if the next iPod is Multi-touch your sig for a moths reads; "Ireland is a legend, go to Click a Shamrock (dot) com, buy a shamrock and support this guy." And if you are right, and the new iPods is clickwheel, my sig will read; what ever you like for a month?
  • Reply 19 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

?

Your actually contemplating MS doing something Interface related better than Apple. I guess I didn't realize that crack had made it's way to europe.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

No, how about if the next iPod is Multi-touch your sig for a moths reads; "Ireland is a legend, go to Click a Shamrock (dot) com, buy a shamrock and support this guy." And if you are right, and the new iPods is clickwheel, my sig will read; what ever you like for a month?

BTW, I found a little typo.... "The shamrocks are competitively prices, ..."

It should read, "The shamrocks are competitively priced, ..."