Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Comments

• Reply 161 of 244
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think Apple needs options with their keyboards. Yeah, sure, some people are going to love this thin design. I think Apple should also offer an ergonomic keyboard as well.
  • Reply 162 of 244
    socokidsocokid Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The keyboard is angled, it's just not curved. The cm step on the back ensures it would sit up at a nice angle.

Nope. I don't buy it for a second. Sorry... Vast amounts of engineering and ergonomic thought has gone into current desktop keyboard layout for maximum comfort and usability. I'm sorry, but this would not fly. At least not in the configuration this picture show it being in.
  • Reply 163 of 244
    usernameusername Posts: 15member
    That the pictures emerged exactly today is no coincidence. The pictures were picked up in Hong Kong 2 days after the Apple Inc Q3 report.

The pictures show a legit prototype of the newly styled Apple Keyboard. In fact it's not the first prototype (many are made). This one is a bulid (yes, a typing error on the label) of many, but surely the released product will look as stylish as we are all used to from Apple Inc.

Just 10 more days people :-)
  • Reply 164 of 244
    floribusfloribus Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Agreed. Apple have been very good about keeping these things under wraps recently. I think Apple leaked the images to get feedback on the proposed new keyboard. Feed back from us, the people who are perhaps most critical of change. If someone had been naughty, don't you think they would have snapped pics of the new iMac instead? Surly a prototype iMac keyboard wouldn't be too far from a prototype iMac.

...or maybe it was a sucessful plant/bait (hint:setup) by Apple's security team "Alpha" to catch a suspected leak source.
  • Reply 165 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socokid View Post

Nope. I don't buy it for a second. Sorry... Vast amounts of engineering and ergonomic thought has gone into current desktop keyboard layout for maximum comfort and usability. I'm sorry, but this would not fly. At least not in the configuration this picture show it being in.

Uhm, writers all over the world use laptops for their entire career and these have flat keyboards. The current desktop layout can't offer much advantage if nobody is complaining about why the laptops aren't sloped. I actually get more strain using the current Apple keyboard than my slim, flat Advent keyboard because I have to apply more pressure to the keys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson

Whoa! F19! "But this one goes to 11." So what? Mine goes to F19! Sweet.

Yup but they damn well better give us a way to program them in a flexible way like attach scripts to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

The exact symbols on the keys differ significantly around the globe.

Here is a UK keyboard:

The Option key doesn't even say option!

Yeah that's what all the ones I see look like. Of course us Brits are smart enough to figure it out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WDNY2ByGNYA

PS I notice we've gone code red on this topic.
  • Reply 166 of 244
    usernameusername Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floribus View Post

...or maybe it was a sucessful plant/bait (hint:setup) by Apple's security team "Alpha" to catch a suspected leak source.

Stop watching all these movies Floribus :-)
  • Reply 167 of 244
    ....Or maybe its just a pre-launch decoy put in circulation.
  • Reply 168 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UserName View Post

Stop watching all these movies Floribus :-)

Movies?? I get it just from watching the U.S. News
  • Reply 169 of 244
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    i hope that this one is dishwasher safe like the current one.
  • Reply 170 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps a little history lesson is in place to help you get over your confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key

That was great! And explains a lot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What's in people's mind shouldn't be the deciding factor though otherwise we'd all be Christians. When Apple are encouraging switchers and all the documents and tutorials say command-whatever, their immediate reaction is 'where's the command-key'. It's like saying to someone use the option key and then telling them it's the one with alt written on it, to which they reply well isn't it the alt-key then.

After reading the Wikipedia entry it makes sense why Jobs did not want Apple logos throughout the menus. And could very well explain why it is not on the photo. Still, it's been my experience that when a switcher or newbie asks me "where's the command-key?", the best answer is: "It's the key with the apple on it." I mean try to explain to them it's the "Cloverleaf" symbol, aka the "splat", "butterfly", "squiggle", "beanie", "flower", "cauliflower", "propeller" or "shamrock."

No thanks. Apple can call it what they want in documents and tutorials. I will still incorporate in my mind as the Apple key.

Long live the Apple key.
  • Reply 171 of 244
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3nj View Post

i hope that this one is dishwasher safe like the current one.

Really? Does that apply to the previous generation also?

(eyes the small amount of crumbs/dirt built up in the underside of his Pro keyboard)
  • Reply 172 of 244
    telusmantelusman Posts: 12member
    Dood! the current generation is dishwasher safe? Thats great! Im tired of vacuuming it anyways...

I like this design, and I think the pics are real.

Also, I agree with Ireland that Apple did plant these, and probably does indeed plant photos and rumors here and there to make the hype monkeys giddy. As this one says "not a cosmetic copy on it" I'm inclined to believe that the finish isn't 100% finished. It's close, but it doesn't represent the finished product. It looks like a concept board with completed electronic components (as listed on the sticker) with a slightly unfinished finish.

Either way, I like it. My MacBook keyboard is quite possibly the best keyboard I have ever typed on. Not only can I type faster on it, I can navigate better and not have to apply nearly as much pressure to get the same job done, if anything this keyboard lessens the stress on my hands as I type. Coincidentally, I was talking to a co-worker the other day about how I'd love a keyboard that behaves like my MacBook keyboard does. I may get my wish!

It may sound petty -- but I will miss the  on the keyboard

- Bj

"No ma`am I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."
  • Reply 173 of 244
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I really like it and hope it's real. But my one gripe is it makes it look impossible to make a custom keyboard. I was gonna get the USB keyboard and some FCP keycaps but now I might just keycap my current BT one and use this for everyday computing when it comes out.

Mel why haven't you seen this yet!?
  • Reply 174 of 244
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Really? Does that apply to the previous generation also?

(eyes the small amount of crumbs/dirt built up in the underside of his Pro keyboard)

I think the term "Dishwasher Safe" is too strong, but if you've had a major spill and it's looking like you're going to buy a new keyboard then it's worth a try:

http://plasticbugs.com/?p=263

You'll be without it for a few days whilst it dries off.

I'm going to stick to using the vacuum for my fully working keyboard.
  • Reply 175 of 244
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If they weren't real, do you really think someone would go to this much trouble, by actually making the keyboard? I highly doubt it.

Gentlemen, please, gentlemen. Apple does have a state of the art machine to rapidly build great looking prototypes within 24hrs. This prototype is now ready for usability and likability tests.

My personal opinion on this protoype? Interesting, but it does not turn me on. If I were to be Ive I would get my team members back to the drawing board
  • Reply 176 of 244
    well is it just me or is the flickr accound a bit strange? user name, chr_rong, rong possibly meaning wrong? or i am just trying to make somthing out of a random name :P
  • Reply 177 of 244
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I think the term "Dishwasher Safe" is too strong, but if you've had a major spill and it's looking like you're going to buy a new keyboard then it's worth a try:

http://plasticbugs.com/?p=263

You'll be without it for a few days whilst it dries off.

I'm going to stick to using the vacuum for my fully working keyboard.

I dunno about the previous generation...

i've washed mine in the dishwasher... need to wash the 2nd keyboard...

i only hate the waiting part... =/
  • Reply 178 of 244
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I really like it and hope it's real. But my one gripe is it makes it look impossible to make a custom keyboard. I was gonna get the USB keyboard and some FCP keycaps but now I might just keycap my current BT one and use this for everyday computing when it comes out.

We have an actual FCP keyboard where I work and it's terrible. You can't make out the normal lettering so it's hard to do normal typing unless you touch-type.

If you need to get the hotkeys on this keyboard, one huge advantage it will have is that because the keys are spaced out, you can drop a stencil over it with key markings. You can just print your own.

Also, the FCP keyboard we have was actually designed exactly like the Apple one so my guess is, they will take the new design and make custom keyboards out of that.
  • Reply 179 of 244
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Wow. almost 180 posts, over a keyboard.

I get the feeling that people are getting tired of discussing the iPhone.......

• Reply 180 of 244
    Hey, we had a huge discussion about a new, smaller power supply. I'm not impressed by a new keyboard...