Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

ALT is called option on the Mac.

Besides the key says 'alt' too.
  • Reply 202 of 244
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Does anyone think that a new mouse will accompany this new keyboard?

God I hope so.
  • Reply 203 of 244
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

God I hope so.

Me too, The basic design of the MM goes back to the G4 Pro Mouse, and has been modified and added too so much that I cant see what they can do with it any more. Apart from that its been so much trouble for that scroll wheel sticking and getting dirty, with no way of opening up the mouse to clean it. I had an MM, and took it back because I got the 'won't scroll up' problem so much, got a Logitech MX1000 instead and still got it, no complaints.
  • Reply 204 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigE

Given the labeling on the back of the keyboard, I'm guessing that this unit is a late-stage functional prototype, or an early-stage candidate release. The keyboard looks very well defined and refined, and the fact that it states that it is not a cosmetic unit (a non-functional unit) means that that stage is now behind them. Apple and their manufacturing contractor probably constructed hundreds of these prototypes to ensure that they have all aspects of the keyboard buttoned up. This may not be the absolute final manifestation of the keyboard, but I'd be willing to bet that it isn't that far off from what we'll see in a week or two.

As far as the design, I think it is a stunning keyboard, and I think that Ives & Co. have done a superlative job in the design. They are known for their minimalist aesthetic (of which I am a huge fan), and I look forward to having one on my desk. As far as ergonomics are concerned, after 25 years of pounding away on non-ergo keyboards, my wrists are appropriately seasoned for a standard keyboard construct. One of the posters mentioned that this keyboard isn't at the right angle, and that flat is not good. With hundreds of millions of laptops in circulation, each with a flat keyboard, I'm not sure I get the point that the poster was making... If nothing, by consolidating the breadth of components down to a minimum across all platforms, Apple will continue to improve their margins and manufacturing process; not a bad thing with ever increasing competition...

And the winner is!! Thank you for your sanity, and I totally agree. I think the one that comes with the new iMac will either be very like or the exact same design as this one. And furthermore, that cm ridge on the back would ensure that it would sit up at a nice 10º in your desk, and not flatly.
  • Reply 205 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

God I hope so.

I gave up on the Apple mouse a long time ago in favor of a dedicated three button Logitech mouse. I'm begining to wonder if I will have to give up on the keyboard as well. I don't wan't a cramped small keyboard to use with my desktop computer.
  • Reply 206 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Me too, The basic design of the MM goes back to the G4 Pro Mouse, and has been modified and added too so much that I cant see what they can do with it any more. Apart from that its been so much trouble for that scroll wheel sticking and getting dirty, with no way of opening up the mouse to clean it. I had an MM, and took it back because I got the 'won't scroll up' problem so much, got a Logitech MX1000 instead and still got it, no complaints.

I had taken my MM apart to clean in twice when I called Apple to complain, they sent me on a new one. That new one (and my hands are no oilier or dirtier than the average computer user) got stuck within two weeks, so I called them again. They sent me one another new one, and when that showed signs of giving way I bought a Logitech MX Rev. It's a great, but ugly mouse. Not ugly by normal standards, but by Apple's design standards. Apple can't make mice, thus far.
  • Reply 207 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I've never understood why the "Apple" key is called the Command key and the "Alt" key is called Option... Its just plain confusing. I have to teach people to use Macs, and I generally use Apple, and Alt (as that's easy), but then the manuals and websites use Command and Option which just confuses everyone. Why can't keys be labelled what they're called, or called what they're labelled!

They are labeled both option and alt to assist those using the Mac with Windows or switchers used to the name "alt" as well as the plain fact this keyboard could actually be hooked up to a Windows machine, perhaps via a KVM switch between a PC and a Mac mini.
  • Reply 208 of 244
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Does anyone think that a new mouse will accompany this new keyboard?

I hope so.
  • Reply 209 of 244
    bradmacprobradmacpro Posts: 121member
    Apple's mice are rather sensitive to static discharges. You don't see them advertised much anymore, but there used to be antistatic keyboard mats and slender conductive strips one could apply to the leading edge of the older keyboards to dissipate a static charge. There were power controllers with a metal plate with the warning to touch it before using the computer.

Someone else pointed out the spacing between the function keys allowed the use of a template. that was also popular back in the day of the Apple Extended Keyboard and somewhat smaller and more adjustable Apple Extended Keyboard II. They had a large back shelf to hold such templates. This keyboard does not support much in the way beyond the function keys, so templates are still going to be a thing of the past with this keyboard.

Actually some ham fisted or pudgy fingered users prefer the MacBook style keys and their spacing, as they tend to not press two keys at a time, where the MacBook Pro style keys, as they almost touch, are subject to that problem, for these users. Desktop style keytops are tapered to help avoid this problem. They also tend to have convex tops to help touch typists rest their fingertips on the keys.

The F1 and F2 buttons primary symbols show brightness up and down symbols, representing the screen brightness. Apple uses different symbols on the MacBook Pro's keyboard to show keyboard brightness up and down. That would imply that this keyboard does not have any backlighting nor "ground effects" lighting around it's edge.

I do hope that it finally supports USB 2.0 on it's Accessory USB ports left and right. The current USB 1.1 support is rather a pain. On that issue, I prefer them on the sides to the current keyboard's positions flanking the attached USB cable. Perhaps of the USB ports were facing rearward but closer to the left and right edges would make things easier for connected a scanner or printer, something that doesn't change often. Connected a flash drive rearward is awkward.

About the loss of the help key in favor of the fn key - I see too many times people, including myself, hitting the help key when aiming sloppily for the delete key. This takes quite a while to invoke the help function of various applications. Hopefully you don't need help so often you need a dedicated key, the Help menu should suffice. Those multimedia keyboard with a bunch of special keys to launch your e-mail and browser etc are considerably deeper, and Apple wants to go with a streamlined look.

The power key on old keyboards was great, but it required the computer to draw power all the time in order to sense it's keypress. With the growing concern for electronic equipment drawing power even when outwardly "off," Apple dropped that from their line. The power button remained for a time, which was still partly functional as it could turn off, after confirmation, your computer. During this time, Apple's monitors were connected via a ADC connector and you could power up your computer without reaching under the desk, by pressing the power button on the display. Now Apple's displays connect via DVI and don't have this function. I'd like to see it restored for MacPros. Apple's iMacs sit on the desk, so there is less of a need for a power button on the keyboard. Considering the logical placement for a power button, this keyboard doesn't seem to have one. The control-eject key combination should still work.
  • Reply 210 of 244
    This new keyboard may be the next leg of Apple's GREEN initiative they posted earlier this year: Designing and manufacturing products with an eye towards less materials, using less toxic alternatives, less environmental impact, etc. More steps in a better direction.

Presume whatever next-gen iMac will be similar, or should I say SLIMilar. Aside from it's screen-size, it needn't be much thicker than a MacBook... But for gawdssakes Apple, external powerbricks have got to go whenever possible.
  • Reply 211 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorMac - Palm Springs View Post

This new keyboard may be the next leg of Apple's GREEN initiative they posted earlier this year: Designing and manufacturing products with an eye towards less materials, using less toxic alternatives, less environmental impact, etc. More steps in a better direction.

Presume whatever next-gen iMac will be similar, or should I say SLIMilar. Aside from it's screen-size, it needn't be much thicker than a MacBook... But for gawdssakes Apple, external powerbricks have got to go whenever possible.

I'm using 100% post consumer recycled electrons to post this message.
  • Reply 212 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorMac - Palm Springs View Post

Now that everything for the iMac appears to be slimming down, I wonder if the new iMacs could become 'portable.' Not necessarily laptop portable. But like, hey, I can now fit everything in a case and take it places rather easily.
  • Reply 213 of 244
    What's up with the 2 dimensional USB port? Also the background is weird in this one.

The dedicated expose keys seem odd to me, adjusting from the F9 key would be death for me, and then moving the sound from the F-teens (I don't remember exactly where). Also the 2 delete keys and the command instead of the  seem suspicious. I say it looks cool, but I am skeptical of it's existence.
  • Reply 214 of 244
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Are you a doorknob?

• Reply 215 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What's up with the 2 dimensional USB port? Also the background is weird in this one.

The dedicated expose keys seem odd to me, adjusting from the F9 key would be death for me, and then moving the sound from the F-teens (I don't remember exactly where). Also the 2 delete keys and the command instead of the  seem suspicious. I say it looks cool, but I am skeptical of it's existence.

The normal desktop keyboard has a regular delete key as well as the forward delete key. As for the command key losing the open Apple symbol, I figure it is past due. I have to keep reminding clients to call the keyboard shortcut command-<whatever> instead of Apple-<whatever>. Apple could even bend over backwards and put the windows logo there for the special windows key. This for Boot Camp/Parallels Desktop/Crossover/VM Ware Fusion users.
  • Reply 216 of 244
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    when exactly back to school promotions start in US, seeing some advertisements lots of shops...

apple always late to the party?
  • Reply 217 of 244
    bigebige Posts: 12member
    Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the "2 dimensional USB port" question? Please restate in another way.

WTR to the background, the photographer simply used some navy or black velvet as a backdrop to give the keyboard some nice contrast (emphasize the keyboard, not the background). The item upon which the keyboard is propped is a Nikon lens hood (a heavy plastic hood that shields a camera lens from sun glare -- it was probably the only black thing laying about that would work as a mount for the keyboard.
  • Reply 218 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigE View Post

I'm not sure I understand the "2 dimensional USB port" question? Please restate in another way.

WTR to the background, the photographer simply used some navy or black velvet as a backdrop to give the keyboard some nice contrast (emphasize the keyboard, not the background). The item upon which the keyboard is propped is a Nikon lens hood (a heavy plastic hood that shields a camera lens from sun glare -- it was probably the only black thing laying about that would work as a mount for the keyboard.

Ah, thanks for clearing up the BG issue, and by 2-D I mean that when looking at the USB port, one can only see a height and a width, but no depth as would be expected from that angle. It looks to me as if there is no substance to the port and even if it was in existence in space and fully functional, it would not hold up the keyboard very well given its apparent small footprint (easily breakable, keyboard would wobble, etc.). Clearer?
  • Reply 219 of 244
    boggbogg Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Ah, thanks for clearing up the BG issue, and by 2-D I mean that when looking at the USB port, one can only see a height and a width, but no depth as would be expected from that angle. It looks to me as if there is no substance to the port and even if it was in existence in space and fully functional, it would not hold up the keyboard very well given its apparent small footprint (easily breakable, keyboard would wobble, etc.). Clearer?

The raised part that holds the USB ports goes over 90% of the bottom of the keyboard. Look at the pictures of the bottom of the keyboard and you'll see that the "heel" actually goes almost from one side to the other.

And I still don't get your "USB port is 2d", it looks perfectly fine for me
  • Reply 220 of 244
    logan09logan09 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

I would have thought the F3 key would be for Spaces, and not expose (if that's what you mean by dedicated expose key). I would assume the normal expose keys would be the same. I reckon F4 must be either sleep or time machine.