Macbook Pro 15 inch or 17?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am planning to switch from PC to Apple and am waffling between a 15 or 17 inch screen. I will get an extra large screen for home desktop, but I will be traveling for three months when I will be learning and working with illustrator plus using photoshop. I'm weighing size vs. weight (altho I hope to find a rollilng case) and cost of course. Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocko View Post

I am planning to switch from PC to Apple and am waffling between a 15 or 17 inch screen. I will get an extra large screen for home desktop, but I will be traveling for three months when I will be learning and working with illustrator plus using photoshop. I'm weighing size vs. weight (altho I hope to find a rollilng case) and cost of course. Advice appreciated.

I've got the 17", glad I did. The 17" is no more of a hassle at all. The extra 1lb or whatever it is, is not going to be noticeable.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'd absolutely recommend the 15". With the LED technology now in the 15" models the screen is brighter, completely evenly lit and will not lose brightness like the CCFL's still found in the 17". I previously had a 17" MBP and thought I'd miss the size, but it's not a big deal. It's worth it when considering if you spend $3000 on the 17" you're buying technology that is already outdated, and a year from now CCFL's will be a thing of the past on quality notebooks. The only thing I miss is that the speakers on the 15" aren't quite as loud/full, but the 15" is lighter, more compact, less awkward, just as fast and features the finest screen of any laptop on the market.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I think 15" too based on the minimal performance difference between it and the 17" and the large cost difference. It's more compact for travelling and you will have another screen at home if you need extra space.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jockojocko Posts: 11member
    Oops. I thought they had updated the screen already. Thanks for the replies. Still not sure. Did you get glossy or matte? I am an artist and need good color to reproduce my work accuarately. (Or, better than accurately, lol.)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Oops. I thought they had updated the screen already. Thanks for the replies. Still not sure. Did you get glossy or matte? I am an artist and need good color to reproduce my work accuarately. (Or, better than accurately, lol.)

If you want accuracy you need the matte. The Glossy isn't good for accuracy. I like the crispness of the matte as well. I have a glossy Sony at work and I'm always happy when I open my new MacBook Pro and look at the screen.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The screens on the 17"er ? at least on the machines that I've seen - are terrible.

I wish I'd bought the 15"er instead.

4GB of RAM is amazing though...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    go with the 2.4Ghz 15in. Its like a combination of the lowest 15in and the 17in.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I've got the 17", glad I did. The 17" is no more of a hassle at all. The extra 1lb or whatever it is, is not going to be noticeable.

Get the 15" if you travel. The 17" doesn't fit in hotel safes.

Vinea