I'm thinking about an iPhone giveaway to promote my new site?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An 8GB iPhone (possibly two) every month for a few months to promote my site Click a Shamrock (dot) com. We sell shamrocks that link to your site, you can check out my site in my signature. To enter in the contest customers would need to purchase one or more shamrocks. The amount of shamrocks you buy will enter you into that current monthly raffle the same number of times.

I'm just trying to get a feeler here, who thinks this would be a good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

An 8GB iPhone (possibly two) every month for a few months to promote my site Click a Shamrock (dot) com. We sell shamrocks that link to your site, you can check out my site in my signature. To enter in the contest customers would need to purchase one or more shamrocks. The amount of shamrocks you buy will enter you into that current monthly raffle the same number of times.

I think you'll get a lot of hits, but check with your lawyer for the writing of the fine print. Just a bit of advice from experience.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think you'll get a lot of hits, but check with your lawyer for the writing of the fine print. Just a bit of advice from experience.

Thanks very much as usual my friend.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Giving away iPods and iPhones is a popular marketing concept. Still quite viable, IMO. But yeah legal stuff for lucky draw type stuff as usual... must check.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    @ Spam + nVidia,

You must tell me more about what you know with regards to the legal side of things? Thanks.

What experiences have you had, or do you know of with regard to these types of things?

Oh, and I've decided that I'll be giving away one iPhone in the month of August to try this venture out. The iPhone will come with the Apple iPhone Bluetooth Headset & the winners will also have a choice of any iPhone case under $40.

Winner = ..(8GB Version)++..(case of choice)
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Looks like I'm becoming more sure of doing this every second. 99% chance I'll be doing this guys. An 8Gig iPhone, an Apple iPhone bluetooth headset, and any case of your choosing under $40 on the Apple.com website, all for one lucky individual. No contract though sorry, you'll have to anti up that cost yourself.

Still, not a bad prize eh?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

To enter in the contest customers would need to purchase one or more shamrocks.

Quote:

@ Spam + nVidia,

You must tell me more about what you know with regards to the legal side of things? Thanks.

I believe that any promotional contest that is run in the US, i.e. people in the US are included in the contest, has to have some kind of "No purchase necessary" way to enter. That's just off the top of my head though. Could be wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    But I see many flaws with this site.

1) It's already been done. The original site: http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

2) No other knock-off site has been able to reproduce this idea effectively.

3) Another site by the same person who did the original site made a new site which is working, but this site uses a new concept -- lottery where the visitor could win a million dollars and the prize money is generated by visitors clicks on ads. http://www.pixelotto.com/

4) You only offer 6 icon types and if a lot of people start buying, it will get really generic and no one will be interested in buying. There is no amount of personalization and a very small variety of icons. None of these icons are ads, which is the reason the original site (http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/) worked, and all of the icons are the same sized.

5) You say you did research that shows the more expensive ones stick out the eye more. This seems absurd. The American flag one contains more colors, and they are very contrasting colors.

I know you'd like to "get rich quick," but this idea really should have been throughout much better, and you really should have been the first to do it, otherwise it's just sorta... lame.

Good luck.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    From your Philosophy page: http://www.clickashamrock.com/philosophy.php

Quote:

There's also a guarantee: We guarantee you we'll enjoy the odd beer, and we also guarantee that this site will be a live and working until July 2012, possibly longer (any maintenance will be kept to an absolute minimum).

What's the guarantee?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

But I see many flaws with this site.

1) It's already been done. The original site: http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

2) No other knock-off site has been able to reproduce this idea effectively.

3) Another site by the same person who did the original site made a new site which is working, but this site uses a new concept -- lottery where the visitor could win a million dollars and the prize money is generated by visitors clicks on ads. http://www.pixelotto.com/

4) You only offer 6 icon types and if a lot of people start buying, it will get really generic and no one will be interested in buying. There is no amount of personalization and a very small variety of icons. None of these icons are ads, which is the reason the original site (http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/) worked, and all of the icons are the same sized.

5) You say you did research that shows the more expensive ones stick out the eye more. This seems absurd. The American flag one contains more colors, and they are very contrasting colors.

I know you'd like to "get rich quick," but this idea really should have been throughout much better, and you really should have been the first to do it, otherwise it's just sorta... lame.

Good luck.

No thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

From your Philosophy page: http://www.clickashamrock.com/philosophy.php

What's the guarantee?

5 years.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Just a heads up: your Shamrock site is being labeled as a malware danger by Google which is posting 'this site may harm your computer' labels all over the search results.

I am not suggesting that your site is in any way dodgy but you may want to address this with Google and get it sorted before splashing out on any expensive advertising or marketing campaign as such a mis-label is not good news.

Thanks very much segovius, I appreciate that.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Legal side I only know more on the graphic design side of things. For one thing, you must ONLY use official Apple product shots. Background preferably whatever the official product shot uses, though this has varied in many cases around the world. But definitely, do not take photos of the iPhone, box, accessories yourself. Just use the official product shots. For website use, this is pretty easy since you can use web-resolution images off Apple website.

However, the big legal mumbo jumbo for using Apple product shots, and high-res product shots is at:

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Legal side I only know more on the graphic design side of things. For one thing, you must ONLY use official Apple product shots. Background preferably whatever the official product shot uses, though this has varied in many cases around the world. But definitely, do not take photos of the iPhone, box, accessories yourself. Just use the official product shots. For website use, this is pretty easy since you can use web-resolution images off Apple website.

However, the big legal mumbo jumbo for using Apple product shots, and high-res product shots is at:

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/

Yeah I kinda knew most of that already, thanks a lot though.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd still recommend getting a local lawyer to take a look over your 'rules' surrounding the offer. Should only cost you a couple of hours of his/her time (less than the cost of an iPhone) and it will end up costing you less than a lawsuit from an unhappy or disgruntled customer.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd still recommend getting a local lawyer to take a look over your 'rules' surrounding the offer. Should only cost you a couple of hours of his/her time (less than the cost of an iPhone) and it will end up costing you less than a lawsuit from an unhappy or disgruntled customer.

Well it may cost me nothing as I know two personally, and my first cousin lectures law. Thanks for your help Spam.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

No thanks.

How about no thanks to your pushing your site on AI? The first time it was okay. The second meh. Third time even more meh. Then making bets where the loser has to push your site in his sig. Now this.

It's almost to the point where you're like that wierd guy that kept pushing his wierd hexagonal keyboard every time the iPhone, keyboards or anything was mentioned.

Vinea
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

How about no thanks to your pushing your site on AI? The first time it was okay. The second meh. Third time even more meh. Then making bets where the loser has to push your site in his sig. Now this.

It's almost to the point where you're like that wierd guy that kept pushing his wierd hexagonal keyboard every time the iPhone, keyboards or anything was mentioned.

Vinea

Never much good to say, easy tiger.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    i'm with vinea on this one.

I call spam....sorry \
  • Reply 19 of 21
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Never much good to say, easy tiger.

I'm not the one pushing my own business through AI tiger. I let it slide a few times since it is new to you and you're excited. Now it's starting to be annoying.

This thread I can simply ignore but your injection of your shamrock page into the multitouch thread wasn't avoidable.

Vinea
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm not the one pushing my own business through AI tiger. I let it slide a few times since it is new to you and you're excited. Now it's starting to be annoying.

This thread I can simply ignore but your injection of your shamrock page into the multitouch thread wasn't avoidable.

Vinea

Whatever.