Seeing Camera in Finder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there any way to configure Finder to show the contents of my digital camera (Canon Powershot S40)? In XP, it essentially shows up as another disk drive. I seem to be stuck with iPhoto, which is not a very nice way to keep track of lots of photos.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    There are two ways you can view the contents of your digital camera without using iPhoto.

1. Image Capture

You can download all pictures or choose "Download Some" to view the entire contents and drag choose the ones you want to download.

2. Finder

You won't be able to see the contents of your digital camera's memory card unless you plug the card into a media card reader attached to the computer (I have one built into my printer). Doing this causes it to appear as a new drive that you can browse and drag photos from.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

2. Finder

You won't be able to see the contents of your digital camera's memory card unless you plug the card into a media card reader attached to the computer (I have one built into my printer).

Then why does my sister's camera show up both in iPhoto and on the Desktop?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What's her camera model? Same as yours? Some cameras also act as media readers that the Finder can recognize. Some don't, and iPhoto or Image Capture deals with them.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

What's her camera model? Same as yours? Some cameras also act as media readers that the Finder can recognize. Some don't, and iPhoto or Image Capture deals with them.

Interesting. Did not know this. The only digital cameras I have owned have been canon powershots. The Finder won't mount the media card unless I plug it into a media card reader.