Apple's iTunes Store: 3 billion served

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that more than three billion songs have been purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store since its inception back in April of 2003.

The Apple download service has grown into the world’s most popular online music, TV and movie store -- featuring a catalog of over five million songs, 550 television shows and 500 movies.

“We’d like to thank all of our customers who have contributed to this incredible milestone,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes.

The iTunes Store also recently surpassed Amazon and Target to become the third largest music retailer in the US.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Number three for all types of music... That's impressive.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    "Billions and billions served..."

• Reply 3 of 10
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Kaspar,

With regard to the 3 billion number, does one audiobook for $15-$45 , one TV show for ~$2+ or one movie for $10+ count the same as one 99 cent song? Also, do you know what the profit margins are for audiobooks, TV shows and movies?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Kaspar,

With regard to the 3 billion number, does one audiobook for $15-$45 , one TV show for ~$2+ or one movie for $10+ count the same as one 99 cent song? Also, do you know what the profit margins are for audiobooks, TV shows and movies?

Thanks.

I think it's just songs, as the article stated. That doesn't include TV shows or movies. I'm not sure if it includes audiobooks and music videos, but they are definitely counting units, not dollars.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dmitridmitri Posts: 3member
    Nope. The 3b is just the music. It does not include audio books, movies, tv shows and music videos.

Quote:

Kaspar,

Thanks.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Also, do you know what the profit margins are for audiobooks, TV shows and movies?

I think Apple's official reply is "mumble grumble."
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Thanks for the replys. It would be nice to know if audiobooks, TV shows, movies and videos represent good profit sources for the AAPL iTunes division.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Why is AAPL down despite good news like this??

I don't get it? trading around 137 now
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleaddict View Post

Why is AAPL down despite good news like this??

I don't get it? trading around 137 now

Stock market games by some slick bears.

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...aid-wallo.html
  • Reply 10 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Stock market games by some slick bears.

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/200...aid-wallo.html

I bought at 137 recently, could be a fine time to load up again.

... or NOT!