Will IE 6 come with Jaguar?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm still in that whole browser dilemma with my Mac. I have Internet Explorer 5.2.1, OmniWeb 4.1, Mozilla 1.1a, and Chimera 3.0. My favorite out of them is OmniWeb but there are still some major problems with it becoming my number 1 browser. First of all, it can't display a lot of pages correctly. Try going to <a href="http://www.mbusa.com"; target="_blank">Mercedes-Benz</a>, <a href="http://www.bmwusa.com"; target="_blank">BMW</a>, or <a href="http://www.vw.com"; target="_blank">Volkswagen</a>. The best example of what I'm saying is at BMW-USA, when you roll your cursor over the bar at the top (3, 5, 7, M etc.) there is supposed to be a popup thing underneath it for each one. Or at Mercedes-Benz, it doesn't display the page correctly. Also the lack of Windows Media Player support and no tabbed browsing.

IE still have no tabbed browsing (hopefully in IE 6???). It also runs slower on a lot of pages. And it keeps on pausing for me when multiple windows are open. Chimera is far to under developed and Mozilla just isn't my thing. I'm hoping we get a big IE update with Jaguar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    How's the Mozilla 1.1a? Is it any different/better than 1.0? Also, since I don't use Omniweb, could someone tell me why many people seem to favor this browser?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Honestly I couldn't tell you the difference. I barely ever use it. I prefer OmniWeb because it has a nicer GUI. It's also sleeker and quicker than IE or Mozilla. It's unfortunate that Apple doesn't dump IE and welcome OmniWeb back with open arms. OmniWeb looks like it will eventually be the king of browsers.

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: wolfeye155 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    i'm with ie 5.2 and chimera.

are there signs for ie 6?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by wolfeye155:

<strong>Also the lack of Windows Media Player support</strong><hr></blockquote>Blame Microsoft for that. NO ONE can get any of the browsers to properly load Windows Media content. The general consensus is that there's some crufty code in the plug-in that checks for IE.

[quote]<strong>IE still have no tabbed browsing (hopefully in IE 6???).</strong><hr></blockquote>Why should it? Yes, I agree it's a nice feauture, but it's not available in the Windows version of IE 6 (yes, I know that Mac IE and Windows IE are different in many ways).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brain2bbrain2b Posts: 2member
    IE 6 will never have tabbed browsing, tabbed browsing while a cool novelity features doesn't have enough demand to go mainstream. It's nice for people with small computer screens and low resolutions ect. I won't even go into how it violates human interface guidelines

That aside all the other browsers (except IE) chop up half of the pages on the internet. Sure Omniweb is great, as long as I'm only browsing macnn.com If you work in business, or do internet related business IE is just the way to go. IE 5.2.1 under OS X 10.2 beta 6c87 fixed the refresh/redraw text on the screen bug and is much snappier. Obviously part of the problem was on Apple's side of the fence.

I hear from many advocates of the Chimera Navigator, Omniweb, Icab, and mozilla group that the reason 2/3 of the pages do not render right in their browsers are because the pages don't follow the W3C standards. They constantly say, "oh well that pages needs fixed" While this may be true the only thing that needs fixed is the browsers, you don't expect 20 trillion web pages to bend around your browser, you bend your browser around the 20 trillion pages. Microsoft has learned this. If you use IE 6 on Windows you will realize that IE is a fantastic web browser! I'm sick of the mozilla/gecko crowd always telling me about how it looks like crap because the HTML author didn't know what he was doing. Who cares? Just fix your browser to compensate. I promise you that YOU never will get prefect W3C compliant code from everyone or even 1/3 of the people. But the mozilla team is too stubborn and stuck in the past, mozilla will always be second best until they get that through there heads. To further prove this, search google for "mozilla employee weblogs", with the horrible things they write about mozilla it is a wonder they aren't fired. One gecko programmer wrote "the gecko rendering engine will never be more than decent, by only supporting the crazy standards of w3c, we lock off most of the internet websites from rendering correctly."

And no microsoft has nothing to do with the crappy html code out on the net. A big part of the problem lies with the w3c board itself, they update the html standards slowly and by a corporate board of half internet saave users. They just don't keep up-to-date fast enough for the internet. IN my opinion the standards need to be turned over to a group more on the ball and willing to constant look for issues and refinements that make a difference. w3c seems to only listen to the designs who create ugly websites and don't create the stuff people actually use in reality.

Okay that's it I'm done ranting. As a veteran web designer in the valley (the quality of my work goes for 1000+ hour to give you an idea of my stance on the whole issue) I'm tired of mozilla and the rest of the club stuck in stubborn code that holds rendering standards to suckdom

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: brain2b ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]I won't even go into how it violates human interface guidelines<hr></blockquote>

Oh why don't you it should be very entertaining.

[quote]IE 5.2.1 under OS X 10.2 beta 6c87 fixed the refresh/redraw text on the screen bug and is much snappier.<hr></blockquote>

No it hasn't. Try the build first, then report, rather than reading about it second hand.

[quote]I hear from many advocates of the Chimera Navigator, Omniweb, Icab, and mozilla group that the reason 2/3 of the pages do not render right in their browsers are because the pages don't follow the W3C standards. They constantly say, "oh well that pages needs fixed" While this may be true the only thing that needs fixed is the browsers, you don't expect 20 trillion web pages to bend around your browser, you bend your browser around the 20 trillion pages.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry boy, but 3G will be here along with other handheld platforms. Anyone that can't code some reasonable css for multiple platforms is going to be a fossil shortly.

[quote]I promise you that YOU never will get prefect W3C compliant code from everyone or even 1/3 of the people.<hr></blockquote>

Dreamweaver now generates valid code--with a little shove from WASP. Adobe will have to follow suit. That just leaves poor Front Page users out there, as most people I know that roll their own code, can generate valid HTML in their sleep.

[quote]I'm tired of mozilla and the rest of the club stuck in stubborn code that holds rendering standards to suckdom<hr></blockquote>

Yes lets just bow down to MS instead.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    IE 6? Time to tell my Windows friends to look for IE 7 soon...

I just hope once Chimera is out of beta (it seems pretty close to me!) they'll crank out some real nice features. Right now I only use Internet Explorer for auction manager, and I think eBay changed their code cause not even that works real well lately...

Btw, nice post cowerd! Go standards!