Leopard gets UNIX 03 certification

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I guess we can drop the 'based' or 'like', and we can call it a UNIX OS

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...d_gets_un.html

OS X's commercial credentials recently got a major boost from the Open Group. Thanks to the efforts of Apple's OS boss Kevin Van Vechten and his team, Leopard has cleared all of the hurdles required to attain UNIX 03 certification. That places Apple in elite company. Only Sun, IBM and HP are certified, so OS X turns the Big Three into the Big Four.

Here's Apple's Open Group brand certificate, which entitles Apple to use the UNIX brand. I suggest printing this on high rag content paper, framing it and hanging it in your server room or your Mac-graced cubicle. There are UNIX pretenders, and there is the real thing. Mac users, realize that qualifying for UNIX is no small feat, especially for an open source, BSD-based OS. The Open Group standards, the PDFs for which are idiotically marked as free but blocked from PDF download unless you buy your way into a membership, are rooted in System V. Apple is to be commended.

The UNIX 03 specifications cover libraries, system calls, terminal interfaces, commands and utilities, internationalization and the C language. That's the whole enchilada for ISVs (independent software vendors) porting their server and non-GUI applications to OS X. UNIX ISVs ought to climb on board, because once Leopard ships in October I expect Xserve sales to take a leap. Software developers should also keep in mind that the Leopard client OS is the same as Apple's server, minus the quite exceptional administrative tools, and the installed base of four and eight-core Mac Pro desktop/workstations is even larger. MacBook Pro users are carrying 4 GB notebooks. If you're put off by Objective-C and Apple's proprietary UI frameworks--you needn't be, although I do wish that someone would give Apple's frameworks the Mono treatment--you've got OpenGL, SDL, X Window, Wine, Java SWT, Flash, DHTML with Apple's Canvas extension, and my old flame, curses. Microsoft's Silverlight is sweet as well, and it's picking up steam.

Wondering if you want in? You do. Imagine coding on Mac and porting by recompile to RISC big iron.

Posted by Tom Yager on July 30, 2007 08:57 PM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    These are the kind of reports that deserve front page space. Not like analyst monkey x says blah blah. These are real achievements that have implications for all of us.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Wow...I'm going to be a full fledged UNIX guy come October. Be still my beating heart.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    Marvin, I totally agree...

The only reason I ever even thought OSX was because of this kind of collaboration.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Fantastic. Fed options will open up.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Heh...Sun must be thrilled. IBM and HP likely don't care much since they're replacing AIX and HPUX with Linux anyway. Had Sun stuck with OpenStep and dumped the HP CDE monstrosity (along with CORBA in favor of PDO) then Solaris would have been the most user friendly Unix for the past decade...

But I got a Mac Pro so I could avoid Linux and now I can say "but I run a REAL unix" when the linux weenies get on my case.

Vinea
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Heh...Sun must be thrilled. IBM and HP likely don't care much since they're replacing AIX and HPUX with Linux anyway. Had Sun stuck with OpenStep and dumped the HP CDE monstrosity (along with CORBA in favor of PDO) then Solaris would have been the most user friendly Unix for the past decade...

But I got a Mac Pro so I could avoid Linux and now I can say "but I run a REAL unix" when the linux weenies get on my case.

Vinea

Vinea don't know if you had seen this or not, but I got a good laugh out of it.

Vive la FSJ!!!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Hedge your bets and be proficient in both Linux and OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Vinea

I started at NeXT shortly after the Openstep debacle and asked what happened to the $25 million investment from SUN and the partnership. I was told it boiled down to egos on both sides and the fact SUN wanted a larger piece of the revenue and didn't think the OS was on equal value as the hardware.

Tell that to Microsoft whose has shown the OS is what drives the hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    barimzibarimzi Posts: 10member
    So does the certification not include PowerPC based macs? It only mentions Intel-Based Macintoshes, not the other.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I started at NeXT shortly after the Openstep debacle and asked what happened to the $25 million investment from SUN and the partnership. I was told it boiled down to egos on both sides and the fact SUN wanted a larger piece of the revenue and didn't think the OS was on equal value as the hardware.

Tell that to Microsoft whose has shown the OS is what drives the hardware.

Given that Sun is now giving away their OS I guess they really believe that now.

Too bad that they DIDN'T give away Solaris X86 back when it could have kept Windows Server at bay but instead choose to sell it for $700 or more.

There are some nice features in Solaris and Sun certainly is capable of technical brilliance. Management and strategy wise they've long been complete idiots.

Vinea