Apple set to begin testing Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon began informing a select group of developers that it plans at least one more maintenance update to its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system ahead of October's planned release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Since developers have yet to received the first pre-release seeds of the software update, details outside of the version numbering -- Mac OS X 10.4.11 -- are few and far between.

In late June, Apple released Mac OS X 10.4.10, which included enhancements to Bluetooth, third-party application support, and USB. However, the update introduced an audio bug that caused popping sound on some Intel-based Mac.

In repairing the audio bug, Apple earlier this month issued an Audio Update and also re-released Mac OS X 10.4.10 for Intel as "Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update v1.1."

Aside from an unresolved third-party webcam bug that cropped up with Mac OS X 10.4.10, it's currently unclear which other system components the upcoming Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update will target.

According to MacNN, the aforementioned webcam bug prevents third-party web cams from being detected as USB audio devices, therefore rendering them useless as a USB audio device in anything except Parallels Desktop for Mac.

"It appears to be an Intel-only issue," wrote MacNN. "A month after reporting it (and having it confirmed by Apple), there is still no resolution."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Eleven? How many times has that happened?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Here's a candidate for something to fix in 10.4.11: Since updating to 10.4.10, my MacBook Pro repeatedly has trouble maintaining a wi-fi connection. It is only a problem when it's running on battery; while on A/C power, the connection's always there. When it fails, the wi-fi signal indicator says that it still has a full-power signal, but there's simply no data flow (web pages, email, etc.). When I turn Airport off and back on, then it re-acquires the signal for real and works fine. And the base station here is a current-model Airport Extreme, so it *shouldn't* be anything funny about some non-Apple basestation.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus View Post

Here's a candidate for something to fix in 10.4.11: Since updating to 10.4.10, my MacBook Pro repeatedly has trouble maintaining a wi-fi connection. It is only a problem when it's running on battery; while on A/C power, the connection's always there. When it fails, the wi-fi signal indicator says that it still has a full-power signal, but there's simply no data flow (web pages, email, etc.). When I turn Airport off and back on, then it re-acquires the signal for real and works fine. And the base station here is a current-model Airport Extreme, so it *shouldn't* be anything funny about some non-Apple basestation.

i get the same dropped wifi problems. i used to think it was my linksys router, but i've been hearing more and more macbook pros with the same issue. really frustrating. i haven't noticed a difference between battery and a/c, though.

other issues i would like resolved:

my frontrow doesn't play videos or music without itunes first being opened. it will freeze up and it's annoying to have to force quit. i've talked to apple care and they said they are aware it is an issue with some computers and it will be fixed at some point with an update. it's been 9 months now.

my macbook pro gets way too hot for comfort. i have to put something in between it and my lap sometimes. very annoying.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post

i get the same dropped wifi problems. i used to think it was my linksys router, but i've been hearing more and more macbook pros with the same issue. really frustrating. i haven't noticed a difference between battery and a/c, though.

other issues i would like resolved:

my frontrow doesn't play videos or music without itunes first being opened. it will freeze up and it's annoying to have to force quit. i've talked to apple care and they said they are aware it is an issue with some computers and it will be fixed at some point with an update. it's been 9 months now.

my macbook pro gets way too hot for comfort. i have to put something in between it and my lap sometimes. very annoying.

there's an update for the airport extreme on intel macbooks, macbook pros and mac minis that just came out. hopefully that fixes the problem.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._2_0_beta.html
  • Reply 6 of 27
    cedriccedric Posts: 28member
    Quote:

I have the same problem with a last generation iMac and a PowerBookG4 at my parents home but that's maybe another issue... At my home everything works great with a MacBookPro... But my Dock isn't working properly, is there anyone else having some trouble with it?

I'm looking forward to 10.5 anyway
  • Reply 7 of 27
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    I smell a 2008 pushback \

We are 90 days from an October release (October 31st 2007). Add to this 30 days (?) to press the DVD's/package them, which cuts the time down even more. Put another way - they have about 2000 hours to be done with it, and I've yet to read any comments about the builds that indicate they are near RC status.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Same problem for me with 2 PowerBooks and 1 MacBook.

Happens with a Linksys or Netgear router.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Same problem for me with 2 PowerBooks and 1 MacBook.

Happens with a Linksys or Netgear router.

It was so bad I went back to 10.4.9... Did you try the new patch on any of your machines yet?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    biggsjmbiggsjm Posts: 25member
    The wifi issue with 10.4.10 evidently is related to specific ISPs and their Gateway equipment. Its a firmware issue that doesn't play with the OS very well.

Changing your router/gateway to something other than a 2WIRE seems to be the only fix.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

The wifi issue with 10.4.10 evidently is related to specific ISPs and their Gateway equipment. Its a firmware issue that doesn't play with the OS very well.

Changing your router/gateway to something other than a 2WIRE seems to be the only fix.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 2WIRE?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I have a Dual G5 2.0 GHz

4.5GB RAM

I have audio rubbish happening at times also.

It is NOT just an Intel thang, I can testify to that action.

MB
  • Reply 13 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I should hope so cause 10.4.10 was so bad I had to go back to 10.4.9
  • Reply 14 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMac View Post

I have a Dual G5 2.0 GHz

4.5GB RAM

I have audio rubbish happening at times also.

It is NOT just an Intel thang, I can testify to that action.

MB

What kind of audio problems are you having?... so far, so good on my computer (non-Intel).
  • Reply 15 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

I smell a 2008 pushback \

We are 90 days from an October release (October 31st 2007). Add to this 30 days (?) to press the DVD's/package them, which cuts the time down even more. Put another way - they have about 2000 hours to be done with it, and I've yet to read any comments about the builds that indicate they are near RC status.

Yes, it seems more and more likely. Perhaps I am reading to it more than it deserves, but the "at least one more maintenance update" excerpt is worrisome. Unless Apple decides to unleash the big cat full of fleas. And fix it by 2008.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I should hope so cause 10.4.10 was so bad I had to go back to 10.4.9

How can I go back to 10.4.9?

Thanks,

Cedric
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

How can I go back to 10.4.9?

Thanks,

Cedric

Try installing this Cedric and see if it installs, it may not. Any problems just call.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

it may not

You're right it doesn't. I'll go for reinstall 10.4 and then update to 10.4.9. It would have been great if it worked (would have been easier)... Thanks anyway!

If you're lucky enough to be Irish then you're lucky enough
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric

If you're lucky enough to be Irish then you're lucky enough

Thanks, personally for me It's a love hate relationship.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post

there's an update for the airport extreme on intel macbooks, macbook pros and mac minis that just came out. hopefully that fixes the problem.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._2_0_beta.html

Yes, a timely update there. I installed it last night and my wi-fi was rock solid last night (and this morning) whilst running on battery. So this wi-fi update seems to have fixed the zombie wi-fi problem (for me at least - 15" 2.0 GHz MBP).