Briefly: AirPort Extreme update, Microsoft RDC for Mac 2.0 beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon release a software update for certain Intel-based Macs that include AirPort Extreme functionality. Meanwhile, Microsoft has taken the wraps off a new beta of its Remote Desktop Client that lets Mac users connect remotely to computers running Windows Vista.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004 [745K] is recommended for all Intel-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers and improves the reliability of AirPort connections.

Microsoft RDC for Mac 2.0 (beta)

Citing customer demand, Microsoft's Mac Business Unit on Tuesday announced the availability of a free, Universal beta version of Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 2.0 Client for Mac.

Built from the ground up, the new beta version lets Mac users connect remotely to computers running Microsoft Windows Vista. It also features a redesigned UI, fully customizable preferences, and multiple sessions support.

Office Open XML File Format Converter

Also on Tuesday, the Mac BU released an update to its standalone Office Open XML File Format Converter that includes improvements for converting Word (.docx) files and new support for converting PowerPoint (.pptx) files.

Customers can download both the RDC Client for Mac 2.0 beta and the Mac BU drag and drop converter at Microsoft's Mactopia website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    They need to get in control of these updates, it seems to be happening every 2 weeks or so now.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

They need to get in control of these updates, it seems to be happening every 2 weeks or so now.

Get in control? How so? They find ways to squeeze more performance out, why wouldn't if be a good thing to do, not like it is inconvenient to run those updates.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    So let me get this straight....

You want fewer updates? Which in turn means problems go unfixed for longer periods of time while they wait until they wait "enough time" to do another update?

You should be happy that they are fixing/patching issues as quickly as they are.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Office Open XML File Format Converter 0.2

If they continue at that rate, they might be at version 1.0 by the middle of next year.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post

You want fewer updates? Which in turn means problems go unfixed for longer periods of time while they wait until they wait "enough time" to do another update?

You should be happy that they are fixing/patching issues as quickly as they are.

You have it backwards.... The update to 10.4.10 should have been checked thoroughly before the release so that they wouldn't have had hundreds of bug reports for the loss of airport connection and unhappy customers. Some of you guy's need to lay off the koolaid.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    So, AirPort Extreme update does not apply to iMac and Mac Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Not according to the brief notes Apple released.

Best,

K
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You have it backwards.... The update to 10.4.10 should have been checked thoroughly before the release so that they wouldn't have had hundreds of bug reports for the loss of airport connection and unhappy customers.

I'd love to live in a perfect world, but we don't. There are always going to be bugs, and the need to fix them.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Built from the ground up, the new beta version lets Mac users connect remotely to computers running Microsoft Windows Vista. ]

Will it work with Win XP? I've no interest in Vista connections, but XP is another matter.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I don't think it uses the same driver that was causing the problem, but I am not 100% on that.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

I'd love to live in a perfect world, but we don't. There are always going to be bugs, and the need to fix them.

I am assuming you don't realize this was a problem across ALL intel laptops and mini's that caused intermittent network connection that was seen after only a few minutes being on the network and persisted. It's such a basic use of the machines it's beyond surprising that no one saw this during the testing of the 10.4.10 update, thats why they spend weeks testing them before they release them. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but some of the things they have been breaking with their updates lately (airport, audio popping) appear to be due to sloppy testing.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I am assuming you don't realize this was a problem across ALL intel laptops and mini's that caused intermittent network connection that was seen after only a few minutes being on the network and persisted. It's such a basic use of the machines it's beyond surprising that no one saw this during the testing of the 10.4.10 update, thats why they spend weeks testing them before they release them. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but some of the things they have been breaking with their updates lately (airport, audio popping) appear to be due to sloppy testing.

Nope I "didn't" realize it was a problem across ALL intel laptops and minis --- I guess my MBP and Intel Mini don't count as part of "ALL".
  • Reply 13 of 16
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    I just downloaded the RDP client to test it out and it does not have multiple session support (which is a feature I've been waiting awhile for!). Other than a new skin and a new menu to map hot keys, it's not much different than the previous release.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Nope I "didn't" realize it was a problem across ALL intel laptops and minis --- I guess my MBP and Intel Mini don't count as part of "ALL".

Sorry, I didn't mean every single machine, I meant every flavor of machine. It was a widespread problem was my point, not an isolated occurrence.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Get in control? How so? They find ways to squeeze more performance out, why wouldn't if be a good thing to do, not like it is inconvenient to run those updates.

They need to get in control of how they do these updates. For a company who says "oh, we never have security problems and never have crashing, EVER" it seems awkward that they have these updates.

And while it isn't inconvenient to run these updates, it is annoying when they release another fix later in the day. Wait 3 hours on the first one and put them all together. Do it once per week or something instead of 3 times a week. The only reason I've had to reboot my MBP in the past month is for these updates.

Quote:

See above. If they are going to continue to post stuff such as not having security problems, they need to prove it. Which they haven't at all.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I just downloaded the RDP client to test it out and it does not have multiple session support (which is a feature I've been waiting awhile for!). Other than a new skin and a new menu to map hot keys, it's not much different than the previous release.

Actually it does, just not in a convenient way... Once you have a session open, you can "save a connection file..." from the file menu. Once you have multiple connection files, you can open multiple connections by opening the connection file documents. It would be much better to have a file menu item to bring up the new connection dialog, but it does work with a little set-up.