Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2661 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's a very naive view of business. Channel stuffing is a terrible way to inflate sales and only damages the market for a product in the long term.

And you can proof that Sony is doing that? It's naive to think that buyers from retail chains are stupid enough to just buy what a manufacturer wants to sell.

Furthermore please remember that VGChartz only gets sales numbers from a small number of retailers.
  • Reply 2662 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't think that Sony intentionally stuffed their sales channels.

However, given the pre-release hype surrounding the PS3 and the complete beating the Wii has since given it, it's likely that many retailers have more in stock than they presently need.

The retailers aren't stupid, but forecasting sales is an inexact science. Retailers will adjust their ordering now based on present sales. That probably translates into ordering a lot less of the PS3 and a lot more of the Wii in the leadup to Christmas '08.
  • Reply 2663 of 4650
    Quote:

However, given the pre-release hype surrounding the PS3 and the complete beating the Wii has since given it, it's likely that many retailers have more in stock than they presently need.

The retailers aren't stupid, but forecasting sales is an inexact science. Retailers will adjust their ordering now based on present sales. That probably translates into ordering a lot less of the PS3 and a lot more of the Wii in the leadup to Christmas '08.

Agreed. You can find a PS3 anywhere! The Wii and the XBOX360 Elite are pretty rare finds in stores right now. Haven't seen a Wii in a store since they came out.
  • Reply 2664 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    You can get a Wii within a day or two now if you know where to look.

However, I think the Wii will continue to be in short supply for the next few weeks.

Nintendo is obviously boosting production for the Christmas shopping season, but it won't make sense to boost production of the present model.

Not if the 'Wii 1.5/DVD upgrade' will be the model that they want to push for Christmas.
  • Reply 2665 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I'm still learning as I go, but the current set up is pretty simple if you have the capable PC with a software like PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra. All you need is drop in the drive and pop in the disc and play it.

I'd suggest a trip to doom9...PowerDVD really sucks (it has gotten better, but it is still crap), but the software was doing Image Constraint when the flag wasn't active. It was even doing it on fully HDCP complaint hardware that PowerDVD itself said was ok. Basicly PowerDVD was overzelous in limiting the resolution. I mean, crap, I bought the disk, I bought the player, let me play the damn thing!

I would strongly recommend getting a copy of AnyDVD HD. It will allow you to play your movies on your system no matter what. Just pop in the disk and play. No ripping, no compressing, no striping anything.
  • Reply 2666 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

I'd suggest a trip to doom9...PowerDVD really sucks (it has gotten better, but it is still crap), but the software was doing Image Constraint when the flag wasn't active. It was even doing it on fully HDCP complaint hardware that PowerDVD itself said was ok. Basicly PowerDVD was overzelous in limiting the resolution. I mean, crap, I bought the disk, I bought the player, let me play the damn thing!

I would strongly recommend getting a copy of AnyDVD HD. It will allow you to play your movies on your system no matter what. Just pop in the disk and play. No ripping, no compressing, no striping anything.

I've heard many good things about AnyDVD HD, especially when accessing HiDef Contents with non-HDCP compliant system. I'll definitely look into it when I'm having issues with my system. The last two recent updates on PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra supposedly have addressed many of the playback issues and I'll stick to it for now.
  • Reply 2667 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Given that the release was more than eight months ago, are you saying that retailers are still sitting on some stock they received back then? Or are you saying that retailers, once they were supposedly burned by the hype, still reordered large quantities over the last eight months?
  • Reply 2668 of 4650
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I don't believe any of the HDMI equipped GPU comply to 1.3 HDMI spec and until they do, you will not get the full vido and audio(5.1+) bandwidth via HDMI.

I'm using bitstream via SPDIF to 5.1 only and it works fine, but more than 5.1 channels may require a separate/advanced sound card for now. Of course, full spec 1.3 HDMI GPU can also fix this when available, especially when the software allows bitstream audio transfer of HiDef audio directly to your AVR.

BTW, I've never heard of HDCP being applied to audio, but if it's high bandwidth digital audio then maybe?... Most of the time, it applies to protection of high bandwidth digital video signal being output onto the secured display.....

I have looked at Blu-Ray official site, HD DVD official site, and read Dolby whitepapers. I still can't figure out what the minimum guaranteed audio is for these formats when you go through unprotected digital (SPDIF) or analog. The Dolby PDFs mentioned per-disc restrictions. I have often read that Vista will shut down SPDIF entirely for some protected content, so I have to wonder if that can include blue laser discs with the right flag set or the right piece of BD+ code.

Could any of the resident enthusiasts tell me what the minimum guaranteed audio is for the format of your choice and a non-protected system? (Bonus points for source.)
  • Reply 2669 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I have looked at Blu-Ray official site, HD DVD official site, and read Dolby whitepapers. I still can't figure out what the minimum guaranteed audio is for these formats when you go through unprotected digital (SPDIF) or analog. The Dolby PDFs mentioned per-disc restrictions. I have often read that Vista will shut down SPDIF entirely for some protected content, so I have to wonder if that can include blue laser discs with the right flag set or the right piece of BD+ code.

Could any of the resident enthusiasts tell me what the minimum guaranteed audio is for the format of your choice and a non-protected system? (Bonus points for source.)

The SPDIF interconnectivity will only allow you to get DD @ 640kbps, DTS @ 1.5 mbps, and stereo PCM. This limitation isn't dictated by any sort of signal protection protocol, but limitation of bandwidth allowable by the SPDIF circuitry.

This is the limitation CE players have to work around and would also apply to PC software players.

BTW, if you google, you may find audio spec table.... I've seen it before, but just can't find it now.
  • Reply 2670 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Weinstein to go neutral?...

Quote:

Meanwhile, Genius Products and The Weinstein Company have announced the DVD release of both Grindhouse films. Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof hits DVD on 9/18 (SRP $29.95) as a 2-disc unrated and extended edition, nearly 30 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. Extras are set to include 5 featurettes (Finding Quentin's Gals, The Guys of Death Proof, Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike, Introducing Zoe Bell and Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke), along with an international poster gallery and the trailer for Double Dare. Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror will follow on 10/16 (SRP $29.95). Extras are subject to change, but look for a 2-disc unrated and extended edition as well, containing "the missing reel" along with audio commentary by Rodriguez, deleted scenes, The Badass Babes of Planet Terror featurette and more. Industry sources at Comic-Con were also hinting that the company may release the titles in BOTH Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD formats sometime later this year, which would signal move for the company to an HD format neutral position. We're working to confirm this.

More great news for HD DVD.
  • Reply 2671 of 4650
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

The SPDIF interconnectivity will only allow you to get DD @ 640kbps, DTS @ 1.5 mbps, and stereo PCM. This limitation isn't dictated by any sort of signal protection protocol, but limitation of bandwidth allowable by the SPDIF circuitry.

I know that's the upper limit. I have seen it listed in a number of spots. Do you specifically know it is the lower limit, i.e. there is no DRM supported by the HD DVD and Blu-Ray specifications (not necessarily used by the discs yet) that will disable one or more of those capabilities via SPDIF?
  • Reply 2672 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I know that's the upper limit. I have seen it listed in a number of spots. Do you specifically know it is the lower limit, i.e. there is no DRM supported by the HD DVD and Blu-Ray specifications (not necessarily used by the discs yet) that will disable one or more of those capabilities via SPDIF?

I don't believe so. The down converting audio or down coding of HiDef audio is solely depending on the hardware/software capability and manufacturer's option to implement such process.

For example....

All standalone HD-DVD players can decode lossless TrueHD or DD+ and process them as multi-channel PCM via HDMI or DTS @ 1.5mps via SPDIF and still take advantage of higher quality audio even when down coded.
  • Reply 2673 of 4650
    Jeff over at bluray.com looks to have stumbled upon a pic showing what Fox intends to release soon. Take a gander...

• Reply 2674 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    LOL

While Marzetta7 is finding nice pics for us I'm enjoying movies like Hot Fuzz and 300. Keep those pics coming Marzetta. After watching HD movies I need something to come look at here.

• Reply 2675 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Weinstein to go neutral?...

More great news for HD DVD.

I hope the trailers and the 40 minute cut of Machete come with Planet Terror, because I have no desire at all to purchase Death Proof.
  • Reply 2676 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

LOL

While Marzetta7 is finding nice pics for us I'm enjoying movies like Hot Fuzz and 300. Keep those pics coming Marzetta. After watching HD movies I need something to come look at here.

You lucky boy you ..... My HD-DVD copy of 300 is still stuck somewhere in Texas. I'm hoping to get this by this weekend and watch it again.

I've already seen Hot Fuzz and I wasn't sure to get this in HD-DVD, but after looking at the review, I guess I'm ordering it on Amazon....

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/hotfuzz.html

The reviewer claims that Hot Fuzz is best HiDef Title ever to be released as of date.
  • Reply 2677 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

You lucky boy you ..... My HD-DVD copy of 300 is still stuck somewhere in Texas. I'm hoping to get this by this weekend and watch it again.

I've already seen Hot Fuzz and I wasn't sure to get this in HD-DVD, but after looking at the review, I guess I'm ordering it on Amazon....

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/hotfuzz.html

The reviewer claims that Hot Fuzz is best HiDef Title ever to be released as of date.

Hot Fuzz is one of those rare titles that I wish was available on Blu-ray. Lucky!
  • Reply 2678 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Hot Fuzz is one of those rare titles that I wish was available on Blu-ray. Lucky!

Well.... there's always SD DVD version you can rent until the format war ends..... Our local supermarket has a little vending machine for renting movies which only cost $1.00/movie on Mondays, and $1.50 on rest of the week.

I"ve used this service for couple of Blu-Ray exlusives until it's available as HD-DVD import. It's not HiDef, but SD-DVD's are good enough. LOL.
  • Reply 2679 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Well.... there's always SD DVD version you can rent until the format war ends..... Our local supermarket has a little vending machine for renting movies which only cost $1.00/movie on Mondays, and $1.50 on rest of the week.

I"ve used this service for couple of Blu-Ray exlusives until it's available as HD-DVD import. It's not HiDef, but SD-DVD's are good enough. LOL.

Ah, yes. Redbox machines. There's been one near my house for a couple of years now - I guess we were lucky enough to be one of the test markets before they went wide. Very handy little machine.

I quite liked Hot Fuzz, so I'm sure I'll end up with it on SD-DVD sometime soon.
  • Reply 2680 of 4650
    PlayStation 3 To Become TV Tuner and DVR?

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/P...d=0010004EEGTI

Quote:

With news coming out of New Zealand that Sony has plans to add DVR and TV-tuning capabilities to the PlayStation 3, Jupiter Research analyst Michael Gartenberg pointed out that Sony is clearly planning on the PlayStation 3 "moving beyond gaming." but noted that, at the end of the day, "it's still about the games."

Sony's "next generation" video game console, the PlayStation 3, could become a device for all the generations in a household -- as a TV tuner and digital video recorder.

On Tuesday, the marketing head of Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand told that country's The Press that Sony was hoping to release a digital tuner for the machine next year. The executive, Warwick Light, called the PS3 an "incredible transformer" and said the tuner would turn the console into a "programmable TV recorder."

Many people think the "PS3 is just a games machine," he said. It is that, he conceded, but it's also a "future-proofed supercomputer."

All About the Games

We've heard several different possibilities from Sony about where it wants the PS3 to go, said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst with Jupiter Research. The company is clearly planning on the PS3 "moving beyond gaming," he said, but "it would take a lot to make that happen."

It is certainly feasible that a tuner and programmable video recorder could be added, he said, but the key question is whether it would "dramatically change the market" for PS3 sales.

Even for a next-generation machine, Gartenberg noted, "at the end of the day, it's still about the games, the games, the games."

A next-generation machine means that it has to last until the next generation, Light said, noting that many of the PS3's capabilities can be updated through downloadable software patches. But there could be quite a few software patches and hardware add-ons before the succeeding generation takes the helm. The PS3 was launched seven years after the PS2, so it could be seven or more years before a PS4.

PS2 Won't Let Go

The PS2 is refusing to give up its place to the new generation. In New Zealand, as one example, there are about 450,000 PS2s, but only about 9,000 PS3s. A recent report from Nielsen, in fact, said that the PS2 is still the most popular video game console overall, in terms of time actually played.

Sales figures also show that the last generation still has legs. Last month, for example, NPD Group reported that Sony sold about 98,000 PS3s, which was a 20 percent jump over May figures. More than 270,000 PS2s were sold as well. In an effort to stimulate PS3 sales, Sony cut the price of its 60-GB PS3 by $100 to $499 in July. Sony maintains that sales at the five largest retailers since the price cut have increased by 135 percent.

One next-generation, built-in component of the PS3, the Blu-ray drive, might turn out to position the console right at the hub of home entertainment. The company has been heavily criticized for including a Blu-ray player in the console, which some observers have said led to the PS3's launch delay, high price, and resulting third place among current consoles.

But the upside of that, from Sony's point of view, is that the PS3's Blu-ray player is creating a larger installed base than any other high-definition player, in either Blu-ray or HD format.

This is exactly what I want with Apple's AppleTV. I say though, throw in a BD recording drive so we can record movies on BD disc. I think it would be awesome, what do you guys think? I think it would be an ultimate entertainment device.