Subtle refinements, major fixes slip into iPhone update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Those users who leapt on the first iPhone software fix have discovered that the update covers many of the initial complaints about the Apple handset's reliability.

Anecdotal reports from the official iPhone support discussions and AppleInsider readers has revealed that the 1.0.1 update to the cellphone includes many undocumented but potentially critical solutions to recurring problems with the device.

One of the fixes is said to address unusually low call volumes, which in some cases rendered normal calls and the speaker phone difficult to hear in typical environments, no matter how high the volume setting. A publicly recognized battery error which refused to acknowledge a fully-charged iPhone has also been resolved for a number of users, some reports claim.

Additional readers noted that Safari was no longer as crash-prone as it had been in the past. The web browser is particularly more stable when running with multiple open pages or with music playing in the background, they said.

A few minor feature changes have also been worked into the update. IMAP e-mail accounts now properly display more sub-folders, according to some users. The mail client can now also send blind carbon copies of messages to the sender to keep track of messages. Previously, these recipients required a public carbon copy.

Other fixes include an expanded number of time limits for engaging the passcode lock, which can be set as late as an hour for those less concerned about security, and an enhanced VPN client with a cancel button that backs out of failed or slow connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    Any word on whether this patches the vulnerabilities found the other week?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    everything certainly feels snappier ?
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Any word on attaching a picture from within the Mail app?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    the update seriously improves safari's tendency to crash. the maps app seems much more stable especially when traffic monitoring is turned on.

a note on maps...

i travel frequently and in the past resorted to gps to find my way around. recently i found that gps is absolutely worthless in cities like new york, boston and chicago (or any place with lots of tall buildings) if you're relying on it, plan to pull over wait *forever* or in a clear parking lot. if apple does add gps to iPhone, let's hope maps works without it. gps machines will not work without a signal. in the city (or any inhabited area) gps is unnecessary. the maps solution is much better. now if text to speech were enabled for directions (and the speaker phone was louder) that would rock. maybe iPhone could route audio directions to the bluetooth headset...

as for the email. you cannot attach from within mail, you need to get into photos, tap the one you want to send and select "email photo."

cheers.

s
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Great update. In particular, I'm happy the volume was fixed. I'd assumed this was unfixable.

Now, if only smart playlists containing podcasts gets a fix...

...that, and an SDK...(!)
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    It's too bad that all these fixes won't get all the press that the "problems" got shortly after the iPhone came out. Eventually just about every complaint about the iPhone can and will be fixed. Except maybe the speed of EDGE. But then again I'm happy to have a slower internet connection with a lower phone bill. I'm happy to pay $59/month vs. a $100 phone bill each month.

I must have missed the CNBC report where the reported apologized for reporting as fact that the iPhone subscription would be over $100/month. He said it as fact, when he should have said "probably", or "possibly" or "could be". No he said it would for sure cost over $100/month for the phone service.

Hey, CNBC! I'm waiting for the apology.

The most important thing that Apple and ATT will soon fix is, let's face it, the price. When this phone comes down to $300-400 dollar range it will sell tons. Especially when people see the $59 plans with unlimited internet. And Apple will still make tons of profits at that price, especially with a $200 ATT kickback and a $300 wholesale cost. It goes like this, sell a bunch at $100 over cost. Get $200 from ATT, then continue to collect $9/month/subscriber. Not to mention the increase in sales at the soon to be 2nd largest music seller on the planet iTunes Music Store.... Oh, and they might buy a Mac too!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    one of the issues i was more concern and i see it was fix, was eco on it, when talking to someone else on there iphone it sounded like hell hearing yourself over and over, i was about to give up on it too already, but now am loving it more than ever, about passcode am loving it, got stop by a cop he told me if you could use my phone, and i said sure when he try to go into my personal info the phone was disable only allowing calls to be made or received, lol boy was he piss off he should have come clean from the beginning
  • Reply 8 of 25
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

one of the issues i was more concern and i see it was fix, was eco on it, when talking to someone else on there iphone it sounded like hell hearing yourself over and over, i was about to give up on it too already, but now am loving it more than ever, about passcode am loving it, got stop by a cop he told me if you could use my phone, and i said sure when he try to go into my personal info the phone was disable only allowing calls to be made or received, lol boy was he piss off he should have come clean from the beginning

I do not understand this paragraph.

My apologies.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

• Reply 10 of 25
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Another change is that the SSL is turned on by default for setting up an email account.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

One of the issues I was concerned about, and it was fixed, was that there was an echo. When I was talking on the phone, I could hear what I said over and over again. I was about to give up on it, but now that it is fixed I love my iPhone more than ever. I also love passcode, as the other day I got stopped by a police officer, and he asked if he could use my iPhone. I said "Sure.", but when he tried to get into my personal files, it locked him out and only allowed calls to be sent/received. Boy, was he pissed off. He should have made his intentions clear in the beginning.

• Reply 12 of 25
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    thanks
  • Reply 13 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Cut? Paste?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

One of the issues I was concerned about, and it was fixed, was that there was an echo. When I was talking on the phone, I could hear what I said over and over again. I was about to give up on it, but now that it is fixed I love my iPhone more than ever. I also love passcode, as the other day I got stopped by a police officer, and he asked if he could use my iPhone. I said "Sure.", but when he tried to get into my personal files, it locked him out and only allowed calls to be sent/received. Boy, was he pissed off. He should have made his intentions clear in the beginning.

Thanks for the translation of what appeared to be totally illiterate, now it makes much more sense! For the original poster, please have someone read over your posts before posting them if you're a non-native English speaker, if you do have English as your birth/primary language, please slow down your typing so we can understand you! Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those users who leapt on the first iPhone...

Shouldn't this be in the iPhone Forum?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

that guy in the pic, looks like the one gizmodo snap and a guy and pay him off to claim that he was waiting in line at the fith av store in NYC, what a bunch of loosers , anyone that was there can comfirm it
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Thanks for the translation of what appeared to be totally illiterate, now it makes much more sense! For the original poster, please have someone read over your posts before posting them if you're a non-native English speaker, if you do have English as your birth/primary language, please slow down your typing so we can understand you! Thanks.

Oh, he's been asked before. I think people just stopped asking.....
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Do you work for the UN?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you work for the UN?

No, I go to high school.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Where the heck is the time sync coming from - (AT&T)? because mine is way off. time.apple.com and my cable box are in sync but both are about 2-3 minutes ahead of my iPhone's time.

Edit: It appears that it is like the Mac in that it keeps it's time internally until you go to the clock app and leave it open for awhile. I watched it jump ahead 2 minutes to the correct time. I was thinking it was more like other cell phones that kept in sync with the cell tower time, but I guess not.