Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 201 of 564
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why Apple has a greater ratio of laptop to desktop sales than most other companies isn't because there is just a swing to laptops, but also because Apple's desktop lines aren't as desirable.

Exactly. While the iMac is nice and all, most people don't want all-in-one desktop computers. The Mac Pro is out of reach for most people and the mini seems like a toy. So, while Mac market share grows slightly, it's mostly portables that are selling, making it appear that "everyone" is switching to portables.
  • Reply 202 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Exactly. While the iMac is nice and all, most people don't want all-in-one desktop computers. The Mac Pro is out of reach for most people and the mini seems like a toy. So, while Mac market share grows slightly, it's mostly portables that are selling, making it appear that "everyone" is switching to portables.

Many of us have asked for a small tower, but Apple isn't listening.

I sure can't promise that it would make desktop sales soar, but it would help.
  • Reply 203 of 564
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Many of us have asked for a small tower, but Apple isn't listening.

I sure can't promise that it would make desktop sales soar, but it would help.

That's what I would hope for Tuesday, alongside the new iMac; i.e. something in the $900 range that would compare to what you can get on the Windows side for $700. And I think the mini should be kept around (just one model around $599) as a media center and entry level Mac.

All we'll be seeing on Tuesday though is the new iMac and iLife.
  • Reply 204 of 564
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Apple can't become a laptop company. To be taken seriously, they must have both.

What you mean like Toshiba? #5 worldwide isn't it?

Apple will have Mac Pros and XServes a long time given that they've bothered to get Unix 03 certs.

Vinea
  • Reply 205 of 564
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm not quite sure what that means. A Pro Mac Pro?

The Mac Pro is at least equal with anything comparable pricewise in the PC world. Those comparisons have already been made.

Yah...there aren't many reasons to get a Dell Precision Workstation over a Mac Pro. Can't think of any really except for some vid cards.

Vinea
  • Reply 206 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Apple will have Mac Pros and XServes a long time given that they've bothered to get Unix 03 certs.

Vinea

Yes, Tohiba is mostly laptops, but they can only go so far that way.
  • Reply 207 of 564
    Quote:

Yah...there aren't many reasons to get a Dell Precision Workstation over a Mac Pro. Can't think of any really except for some vid cards.

Vinea

Video, or properly, graphic cards, are out of the hands of Apple.

The problem there is a matter of sales. small sales means that Apple has to provide their own cards, which other computer companies don't.
  • Reply 208 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Here is the real next gen imac :

????? What is that?
  • Reply 209 of 564
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

????? What is that?

1997 20th Anniversary Macintosh

Ugly isn't it.
  • Reply 210 of 564
    {Pedant mode ON}

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Personally I think Li'l Bird it a retard, but that's just me.

There is some irony there, no?

{Pedant mode OFF}
  • Reply 211 of 564
    Quote:

As you alluded to, it's mostly laptops selling now because of recent updates. Actually I've been pretty amazed at how popular the mini is (was) with switchers. Sure most use it as a second computer or a toy. But the demand was amazing and probably would pick back up with an update.

...also I'm choosing a new iMac next week over a laptop. And I think most people are not tech-savy (or want to be) and so do want all-in-one machines that 'just work out of the box.'
  • Reply 212 of 564
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

????? What is that?

As gar said, it is the one that has fired up all these discussions about such or other anniversary Mac the last 1-2 years.

As for being ugly, I don't know, silly fits probably better. But I cannot forget how much I was impressed by its specifications and mostly its design ten years back.
  • Reply 213 of 564
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Has anyone examined those pictures included in the article? The Apple campus really does look like a crematory It doesn't look like a place where you want to have a cheerfull time. With no windows in the room, I hope it's gonna be a short announcement.

1/ It seems like the days of the Minimac are numbered.

2/ 20" is gonna be the new 17".

3/ I am so much looking fwd to the new 22" iMac. It's just perfect: bigger than 20" (which is slightly too small) and smaller than 24" (which is slightly too big).

4/ To the one who has made the iPhone iMac mock up. Itsa crazy idea, but one that illustrates how the chin problem could be visually resolved without getting rid of the chin. I am not sure if that is the way to go, but it's on my mind now. Dammit!

PS: Also dammit to the one who pointed out the crappy Apple Mail icons! You are right!! They really did a crappy job. Especially the colours are driving me insane! Yes! My Junk bag has the zune Poo colour written all over it

Talking about the Zune. Are they meeting their forecast of selling their one millionth zune by the end of the Summer?
  • Reply 214 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

As gar said, it is the one that has fired up all these discussions about such or other anniversary Mac the last 1-2 years.

As for being ugly, I don't know, silly fits probably better. But I cannot forget how much I was impressed by its specifications and mostly its design ten years back.

I agree; at the time it was released, it was an awesome-looking machine. Just goes to show how much design has changed in a mere decade.

If Apple comes out with a 30th anniversary machine that is a little more reasonably priced than the 20th, I will be the first in line.
  • Reply 215 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Talking about the Zune. Are they meeting their forecast of selling their one millionth zune by the end of the Summer?

Apparently a short while back they were cheering the one millionth sold..

SHIPPED I says.
  • Reply 216 of 564
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

That's what I would hope for Tuesday, alongside the new iMac; i.e. something in the $900 range that would compare to what you can get on the Windows side for $700. And I think the mini should be kept around (just one model around $599) as a media center and entry level Mac.

All we'll be seeing on Tuesday though is the new iMac and iLife.

I agree it would complete the line and it wouldn't bother me if it had to be $1000 or whatever the price of a iMac is without a screen. Oh And I've never understood why people think the iMac is so cool, there hasn't been a cool one since the G4 (I think?), you know they really adjustable one, those were so much fun.
  • Reply 217 of 564
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

With everyone I know It's because of economics not need or want. The fact that people can not afford what they could in the 80's & 90's is affecting their decisions. I don't know anyone that would buy a second laptop because all they do is bitch about it. Which leads me to believe there will be a strong resurgence of desktop sales once again.

I agree. I also believe Apple has something else planned for desktops, what, I don't know.
  • Reply 218 of 564
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Anybody else think the Mac mini will HAVE to be addressed on the 7th? I think one of three things will happen: It'll finally get Core 2 chips, It'll get Core 2 chips AND a redesign, or it'll go bye bye.

Here's hoping it's not the last.
  • Reply 219 of 564
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Vinea

This is a false argument and out of place in reference to Apple. It is patently obvious there are many manufacturers of computers of all types that run Windows. There is only one company that produces computers that run Mac OS X. So yes, melgross is correct in this assertion. No way Apple can exist as a laptop computer company and remain in the computer industry, unless of course they license their operating system to other OEMs.
  • Reply 220 of 564
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Hope the new iMacs look as good as the Sony Desktop Vaio All-in-one.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=30346