Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 221 of 564
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Fundamentally, I think that Apple's desktop sales will suffer as long as they don't use desktop chips. The Q6600 and the Q6700 as well as the Q4 Barcelona/Phenom launch will mean that by Jan of 2008, every desktop over about $1000 will be a quad-core or a high-speed (>=2.8 GHz) dual-core. If Apple's still using laptop chips in the Mac Mini and the iMac, then they'll be selling $1200 - $1600 computers with 2.4-2.6 GHz dual-core processors that'll simply get crushed by the competition.

THAT IS SO TRUE!

There are already Q6600 desktops in the $900-$1500 range (bundled with 19 to 22" LCDs) from Acer and HP and certainly others I don't know. Those chips are sick! Inexpensive, powerful, praised by all reviewers. I really hope Apple will make good use of them.

I understand they have this AIO concept so strongly intrenched, and I hope that the new 20/24" iMacs get MacBook Pro-like specs (all of them, Santa Rosa, 2.2/2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 8600GT GPU, FW400+800, even an Expresscard slot) so they would be more attractive (especially if in the $1299-1999 price range).

But if the Mac mini and the 17' iMac are to be gone, please use what's appropriate to entry level/midrange computers. Given the price of E6000/Q6000 chips and chipsets like the G33, Apple could certainly offer a triplet of models in the $499-1299 range!

Moving the iMacs to those heights and releasing new desktops (with new chips, chipset, enclosure) will certainly affect margins, but that's what they forecated for this quarter, isn't it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Hope the new iMacs look as good as the Sony Desktop Vaio All-in-one.

I hope they look better.
  • Reply 222 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I agree. I also believe Apple has something else planned for desktops, what, I don't know.

My personal thoughts/preference? If the iMac became a lighter-powered convertable. That's right, a desktop-to-portable unit.

There are two ways I could envision this working:

Option A: Give it a "base station" with a nice GPU, HDD, extra RAM, USB ports (for keyboard, mouse and others), optical bay, and a PSU, all sitting on a nice clear acryllic stand. The display detaches (and becomes multi-touch capable (which would obviously not be viable for a 20-24" screen)), the unit complete with mo-board (using integrated graphics), some RAM, 16GB SSD (enough for OSX and some free space), Wi-Fi, and a battery for a good 5 hours of detached life. A good ol' tablet if you will.

Option B: Just a multi-touch detachable display (again, 17" or less), Wi-Fi, and a battery, loaded with enough guts to act as a "remote desktop" interface to the base station.

Out of the two choices, I'd say a bulkier desktop is more likely but I'd love, love, love to have Option B.

mmmmmmmmm detachable display....

Oh, and by the way, I would hunt down and obliterate Johny Ive if he ruined the iMac's keyboard by making it Chicklet-Style. Seriously, there would be a rampage... and then I would buy a 3rd party keyboard.

-Clive
  • Reply 223 of 564
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I've thought about this a little as well. It might make some sense to make the iMac a "portfolio" computer... folds into a compact, easy to carry structure (might even have some hidden when not in use carbon fiber luggage or appliance-like styling touches) that would loosely resemble an artists portfolio case. Perhaps there could be a butterfly cover mechanism on the back of the monitor that would double for keyboard storage... Just thinking out loud.
  • Reply 224 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've thought about this a little as well. It might make some sense to make the iMac a "portfolio" computer... folds into a compact, easy to carry structure (might even have some hidden when not in use carbon fiber luggage or appliance-like styling touches) that would loosely resemble an artists portfolio case. Perhaps there could be a butterfly cover mechanism on the back of the monitor that would double for keyboard storage... Just thinking out loud.

People really have little need to move their desktops around. Even a 20" iMac is pushing 18 pounds.

So, you want to move it to another room? No problem for the current models.

You want to take it out of the house?

Get a 17" MBP.
  • Reply 225 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People really have little need to move their desktops around. Even a 20" iMac is pushing 18 pounds.

Get a 17" MBP.

If we're going to see a radically new, or at least "evolutionary" iMac next week, I would assume we'll see a thinner and lighter form factor. Also, for me personally, I don't like portables. Having keyboard position permanently tied to the monitor is a pain in the neck, and I don't like the feel of any of the portable keyboards. Call me old school.
  • Reply 226 of 564
    Quote:

Get a 17" MBP.

I don't know. A thinner iMac, smaller keyboard, MUCH cheaper than MBP. I could get use to lugging that to a client's office.

.. And if they did have a touch screen I wouldn't have to get so mad when the client puts his greasy fingers on the screen.
  • Reply 227 of 564
    Quote:

If we're going to see a radically new, or at least "evolutionary" iMac next week, I would assume we'll see a thinner and lighter form factor. Also, for me personally, I don't like portables. Having keyboard position permanently tied to the monitor is a pain in the neck, and I don't like the feel of any of the portable keyboards. Call me old school.

I happen to agree with you.

We have four working Macs in the house on the network, and I'm thinking of using another one for shop tasks.

But, carrying around an iMac, even if it does weigh a pound or two less than the current ones, isn't much of an option for those who really do need portable computing. It's tough to use without a wall outlet.

I'd like a true ultra portable to carry around for use when I'm going somewhere, or sitting in the park relaxing, or some such activity.
  • Reply 228 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

I don't know. A thinner iMac, smaller keyboard, MUCH cheaper than MBP. I could get use to lugging that to a client's office.

.. And if they did have a touch screen I wouldn't have to get so mad when the client puts his greasy fingers on the screen.

You THINK you wouldn't mind. What you would do with a 16 pound 20" machine is an entirely different thing.

Don't count on the multi-Touch yet. I'd like to see it, but I don't see it right now, though it would be great if it did appear.
  • Reply 229 of 564
    At any rate... I'm ready to make the leap into Intel... so I'll most likely get the new iMac.
  • Reply 230 of 564
    Quote:

You THINK you wouldn't mind. What you would do with a 16 pound 20" machine is an entirely different thing.

Don't count on the multi-Touch yet. I'd like to see it, but I don't see it right now, though it would be great if it did appear.

You're probably right on the weight although I can tell you from experience I can haul more than a MBP around. The client I am thinking about has a short walk from car to office. For other clients, maybe with the money saved over a MBP, I could buy the Apple" hand truck" whenever it comes out

Agreed on the mutli-touch. Just throwing in a little wishful thinking there.
  • Reply 231 of 564
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.

However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.

So in other words, its just a renamed Mac mini.
  • Reply 232 of 564
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

At any rate... I'm ready to make the leap into Intel... so I'll most likely get the new iMac.

Wait until iTuesday®
  • Reply 233 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

You're probably right on the weight although I can tell you from experience I can haul more than a MBP around. The client I am thinking about has a short walk from car to office. For other clients, maybe with the money saved over a MBP, I could buy the Apple" hand truck" whenever it comes out

Agreed on the mutli-touch. Just throwing in a little wishful thinking there.

My anti-gravity plate is a much better idea, and is also much closer to production.
  • Reply 234 of 564
    My bets:

-New iMacs

With new aluminum case, 1.3 MP iSight, slimmer profile without the "Jay Leno chin"

Four models:

$999

20" display

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)

1 GB RAM

200 GB HD

Combo drive

Intel GMA3000 graphics

$1299

20" display

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

200 GB HD

SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1499

24" display

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

400 GB HD

SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1999

24" display

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

750 GB HD

Blu-ray Disc drive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

All models come with new slim aluminum keyboard and new, more clog-resistant aluminum Mighty Mouse

-12" MacBook Pro:

The world's slimmest, lightest full-featured notebook

One model:

1.6 GHz low-voltage Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)

2 GB RAM

100 GB hard drive

SuperDrive

Intel GMA3000 graphics

12" LED-backlit widescreen

0.9" thick and under 3 pounds

$1799
  • Reply 235 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

My bets:

-New iMacs

With new aluminum case, 1.3 MP iSight, slimmer profile without the "Jay Leno chin"

Four models:

$999

20" display

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)

1 GB RAM

200 GB HD

Combo drive

Intel GMA3000 graphics

$1299

20" display

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

200 GB HD

SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1499

24" display

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

400 GB HD

SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1999

24" display

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

750 GB HD

Blu-ray Disc drive

NVIDIA GeForce 8600

All models come with new slim aluminum keyboard and new, more clog-resistant aluminum Mighty Mouse

-12" MacBook Pro:

The world's slimmest, lightest full-featured notebook

One model:

1.6 GHz low-voltage Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)

2 GB RAM

100 GB hard drive

SuperDrive

Intel GMA3000 graphics

12" LED-backlit widescreen

0.9" thick and under 3 pounds

$1799

Why do people bother to do this?
  • Reply 236 of 564
    Keep dreaming iNtel. I think the only $999 model will be the old iMac design with a combo drive, and the other two or three models will be the new design in 20 or 24 inches sizes all with Superdrives.
  • Reply 237 of 564
    Quote:

Why do people bother to do this?

Boredom probably. I'd rather just make a cup of tea wait until Tuesday myself
  • Reply 238 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Boredom probably. I'd rather just make a cup of tea wait until Tuesday myself

I like reading predictions. It's a good gauge between what people want in a Mac, and what they think Apple will actually release. It's like a half n half. Half what they want, and half what they think. Mine always are. If I could design my dream Mac Pro, spec wise, it would be far beyond what I actually think Apple will release, but it would be on par, option wise, with an Alienware, or BOXX chassis.
  • Reply 239 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I like reading predictions. It's a good gauge between what people want in a Mac, and what they think Apple will actually release. It's like a half n half. Half what they want, and half what they think. Mine always are. If I could design my dream Mac Pro, spec wise, it would be far beyond what I actually think Apple will release, but it would be on par, option wise, with an Alienware, or BOXX chassis.

And would cost much more, which is why you will never see it. The Alienware and BOXX designs that have the "extra's cost much more than the Mac Pro. I looked.

But, it does get tiring to see these posts with a half dozen listings of "who cares" guesses.

It's another thing when someone posts several ideas for one machine.
  • Reply 240 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

And would cost much more, which is why you will never see it. The Alienware and BOXX designs that have the "extra's cost much more than the Mac Pro. I looked.

But, it does get tiring to see these posts with a half dozen listings of "who cares" guesses.

It's another thing when someone posts several ideas for one machine.

I don't mean all that stuff that Alienware has on their site, but the stuff that has been industry standard for 3, 4 years that Apple still doesn't have. Like 2x full speed 16x PCI-E lanes, and better graphics card options. That's all I can think of. I am so far behind because Apple has been so far behind for so long I don't even know what technologies the industry, and consumers are all hyped about any more.