What battery backup do you use for your Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Howdy,

I'm looking to add a battery backup to my home office system, which consists of a Mac Mini, 20" Cinema Display (the old style), and an OWC external drive. My intention is to have 5-10 minutes to save my work in case of a power outage.

APC, among others, makes a number of different battery backup/surge protectors. Can anyone recommend a particular model or wattage rating, given the hardware I have and what I'm trying to do? Thanks!

SB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbornia View Post

Howdy,

I'm looking to add a battery backup to my home office system, which consists of a Mac Mini, 20" Cinema Display (the old style), and an OWC external drive. My intention is to have 5-10 minutes to save my work in case of a power outage.

APC, among others, makes a number of different battery backup/surge protectors. Can anyone recommend a particular model or wattage rating, given the hardware I have and what I'm trying to do? Thanks!

SB

I bought one of the cheaper ones at Best Buy when it was on sale for $45.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395267085

Its survived quite a few outages and ran my Quicksilver and old CRT Cinema display for 5-10 minutes. Looks like the 425VA is on sale for $30.00. That's good enough for the mini, display and external drive for 5 mins.

The cheap consumer APCs aren't any better than the no names as far as I can tell. Same for the TrippLites. Had issues with both brands and none with the CyberPowers. I have 3 around the house since they were cheap...one for the TV/XBox/Cordless Phone, one for the wireless router/FiOS modem in the basement and one for the PC.

Since I use cordless to router to Vonage I kinda need the FiOS modem and router powered or no phone service. Lasts a long time for that.

Vinea
  • Reply 2 of 3
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    I have an APC ES 500 that's been working fine for me the last couple of years.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sborniasbornia Posts: 11member
    Thanks, guys, good info.