The Apple Car

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So I was just thinking about Apple's ability to put so much thought into their design, while still retaining great functionality (im my opinion-some people think they sacrifice function, not me) and i began to wonder what a car designed by Apple would look like.

If there are any graphic designers out there who want to tackle to challenge of making a mock-up, I'd love to see what you can come up with. Or just written ideas would be cool too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmankoff View Post

So I was just thinking about Apple's ability to put so much thought into their design, while still retaining great functionality (im my opinion-some people think they sacrifice function, not me) and i began to wonder what a car designed by Apple would look like.

If there are any graphic designers out there who want to tackle to challenge of making a mock-up, I'd love to see what you can come up with. Or just written ideas would be cool too.

I think Macs are to computers, what AUDIs are for cars. Bit on the expensive side, design details are minimalistic or stilled, but same time very elegant. Over all very thought out products.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    An Apple car? How about an Apple designed person, or at least an Apple nostril. Since none of Apple's major competitors design nostrils, an Apple nostril could really give it the edge in the enterprise market where nostrils are commonplace.

Or, if not a nostril, how about an Apple designed apple?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Apple+Ferrari Team
  • Reply 4 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This thread belongs in the general discussion forum.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Forgot about these absurd discussions, what we really need is for Apple to get on with designing a full touch-screen in car entertainment and GPS device. Then for them to talk to the car companies to get the systems put in in the factory, like Blaupunkt does.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

I think Macs are to computers, what AUDIs are for cars. Bit on the expensive side, design details are minimalistic or stilled, but same time very elegant. Over all very thought out products.

Also unreliable.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i don't think macs are live audi's because audis are like vw's with nicer interiors. macs are like mercedes, pushing the envelope, nicer to drive, and allowing others to use their tech that they innovated in the future (well maybe not so much that one with all the patents).

the apple nose would have one nostril
  • Reply 8 of 38
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I think Ferrari or Lambo
  • Reply 9 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

i don't think macs are live audi's because audis are like vw's with nicer interiors. macs are like mercedes, pushing the envelope, nicer to drive, and allowing others to use their tech that they innovated in the future (well maybe not so much that one with all the patents).

the apple nose would have one nostril

Nope. Apple = Audi.

From what I hear, the parking lot there is loaded with 'em.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:

I think Macs are to computers, what AUDIs are for cars.

Really? I've got a 2000 Audi and a 2003 Powerbook G4. My audi had a catalytic converter that went bad, an O2 sensor that has been replaced twice, panel lights that have gone bad, and a torque converter that was causing me to fail emissions tests. These are all issues that are pretty standard on a 2000 A6, yet no recalls, and certainly no support. With that kind of reliability and service, sounds more like a DELL!

On the other hand, my PB is still going strong! Just had to replace the MatSHITa burner, and that was covered under Applecare.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Really? I've got a 2000 Audi and a 2003 Powerbook G4. My audi had a catalytic converter that went bad, an O2 sensor that has been replaced twice, panel lights that have gone bad, and a torque converter that was causing me to fail emissions tests. These are all issues that are pretty standard on a 2000 A6, yet no recalls, and certainly no support. With that kind of reliability and service, sounds more like a DELL!

On the other hand, my PB is still going strong! Just had to replace the MatSHITa burner, and that was covered under Applecare.

The newer Audis are rockin'.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, they are beautiful, but owners will be rockin' all the way to the Audi service department when they hit 24 months old. GOT WARRANTY?
  • Reply 13 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 38
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Perhaps, but Audis are over-engineered and over-weight. Plus, there's nothing about an Audi that makes it innately superior to its competitors, such as is the case with Mac OS . . .maybe in 1983 when they had quattro and no one else did, but that's irrelevant now.

If there were a car that were a blast to drive, but also had the unique ability to drive itself if the user wanted, then that would be the Apple Car. Supposedly, most automotive "firsts" so far as driver-related technologies have, over the years, all shown up on MB S-classes. And so the S-Class gets my vote.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Nope. Apple = Audi.

From what I hear, the parking lot there is loaded with 'em.

Sounds pretty much like generic Silicon Valley. Audis are quite common here -- a stupifying amount of 3-series and 5-series BMWs as well. Other cars I've seen here that I almost never saw elsewhere:

Many, many Honda S2000s

Highest density of Lotuses in the USA, perhaps anywhere.

Lots of Toyota Priuses for the eco-sheep (VW biodiesel is much better)

Lots of Porsche Caymans

Tesla Roadster (I've seen one, but that's special enough)

In response to the guy who said "Ferrari or Lambo," VW owns Audi who owns Lambo as well as Bugatti.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Perhaps, but Audis are over-engineered and over-weight. Plus, there's nothing about an Audi that makes it innately superior to its competitors, such as is the case with Mac OS . . .maybe in 1983 when they had quattro and no one else did, but that's irrelevant now.

If there were a car that were a blast to drive, but also had the unique ability to drive itself if the user wanted, then that would be the Apple Car. Supposedly, most automotive "firsts" so far as driver-related technologies have, over the years, all shown up on MB S-classes. And so the S-Class gets my vote.

I second that first point. There's almost no innovation in the auto industry. Nobody pushing the envelope to provide reliability and a new experience that changes the way people do automotive travel.

But no way is the Mercedes-Benz closest to being the 'Apple car'. They are beautiful cars, but lots of issues. Firstly, you have the worst tradeoff in the industry for Horsepower/dollar. Secondly, the reliabilty is among the worse in the industry (UK index of 145+ compared to 120+ for Audi, 60+ for BMW, and 40+ for Toyota, lower being more reliable). Macs are expensive, but you get performance and reliability. The Apple Car has to have at least that in addition to the styling.

Lexus's recent body enhancements, in addition to the new self-park feature and relative affordability, would give the new LS series my vote for the 'Apple Car Award'. Ironic that Lexus' Mark Levinson Audio doesn't offer an ipod integration option ...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't think Apple will make a car, but they still can have a big impact ion the auto industry. Hopefully Apple will help develop NAV systems that are done right and actually help drivers.

Apple could have a big impact here.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    There's a rumor going around that Mercedes is getting rid of their COMAND system and teaming up w/ Apple for a totally new info-tainment unit. It would be a welcome improvement from the current COMAND on the new S-Class (iDrive-esque).

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/18/e...navi-for-benz/

I hope it's true, because that would be a huge plus for Mercedes. (and me)
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Come on, Helicar.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

But no way is the Mercedes-Benz closest to being the 'Apple car'.

There is no Apple Car. The comparison just doesn't work. I picked one attribute of the S-class, which is that it seems to always be first when it comes to the development of usability-centric technologies.