Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 261 of 564
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

The chipset used in the Mac Pro allows something like 42 PCIe lanes, so Apple could in theory have dual x16 if they wanted to. Instead, they have the (pretty freaking awesome) lane-switching thing that basically lets you have a x16, an x8, and 2 x4s. Mac Pros also spend PCIe lanes on Airport, Bluetooth, and Firewire.

Joe_the_Dragon, I don't know why you haven't figured this out in the last 12-14 months when people here have been explaining it to you patiently: the Mac Pro is a workstation, not a gaming computer. It uses workstation parts like Xeons and FB-DIMMs because it's designed for workstation tasks. Specifically, FB-DIMMs offer massive bandwidth improvements (they're quad channel after all) and capacity improvements (8+ DIMM slots instead of 4 DIMM slots) And the PCIe is set-up the way it's set up because aside from the GPU, most workstations use cards that require on x8 or x4 connections, like Fibre Channel cards or RAID cards. That way, instead of being able to have a GPU and 1 Fibre Channel card, the Mac Pro can have a GPU, FC card, and 1-2 RAID cards.

BIOS cards have no video in the boot screen on Macs because EFI can have its own device drivers, whereas BIOS is more limited. EFI also supports a shell, whereas BIOS is again more limited. The only thin BIOS has EFI beat on is GPU support, and when you get down to it, video card manufacturers are supposedly going to start supporting EFI as well this generation or next.

The only "laptop part" the iMac uses is the processor. Actually, seeing as Intel sells a 800 MHz FSB desktop line with models at iMac speeds, the only "laptop" thing about the iMac is the socket, not the processor. You're complaining about the arrangement of the pins in the socket. The GPU in all the iMac models is a desktop GPU. They use x1600s and GeForce 7300s and 7600s, which are mid-range to mid-low desktop parts. There's no evidence that Mobility Radeons or Geforce Go cards are used. Or is your logic that any card that doesn't end in -800 or -900 a laptop card?

And size isn't going to be much of a factor for iMac video cards. They'll still be able to fit a GF 8600 or 8400 pretty easily in there. In fact, BFG has a 8600 GTS with a single-slot fan. Not a bad card for a consumer machine.

Interesting reading Zach. I actually learned something at AI today.
  • Reply 262 of 564
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew The Man View Post

An ultra-portable with flash memory would be awesome!

Yes, just what did Apple do with all that flash memory that they bought? Rumor has it they purchased 1/4 of ALL Flash memory sold on the entire planet Earth last quarter.

That number is HUGE people. I'm talking bigger than iPod and iPhone big. There is definitely something coming down the pipeline. It should be a great day on Tuesday.

This company is amazing. Glad it's funding my retirement.
  • Reply 263 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

That number is HUGE people. I'm talking bigger than iPod and iPhone big. There is definitely something coming down the pipeline.

They sell way, way more iPods than anything else- 10 times more iPods than computers... so the flash is most likely going to iPods. If they announced a flash-based notebook, for instance, how many could they reasonably expect to sell in the next 12 months? A million? iPods and iPhones, on the other hands - 40-60 million in the same period.

Of course, they could also be using many flash chips in each computer (doubtful for now) or stick flash in all their computers (more doubtful).

I think the flash purchases are in preparation for moving away from hard drive-based iPods altogether.
  • Reply 264 of 564
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

They sell way, way more iPods than anything else- 10 times more iPods than computers... so the flash is most likely going to iPods. If they announced a flash-based notebook, for instance, how many could they reasonably expect to sell in the next 12 months? A million? iPods and iPhones, on the other hands - 40-60 million in the same period.

Of course, they could also be using many flash chips in each computer (doubtful for now) or stick flash in all their computers (more doubtful).

I think the flash purchases are in preparation for moving away from hard drive-based iPods altogether.

Don't forget about the 4 or8 GB's each phone has.
  • Reply 265 of 564
    alek_2alek_2 Posts: 21member
    new full size touch-screen ipod?

very unlikely - before christmass
  • Reply 267 of 564
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

I don't think so.
  • Reply 268 of 564
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I'm hoping for something bolder from a design standpoint. Time will tell.
  • Reply 269 of 564
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yeah, after all this 'stunning new enclosure' stuff, I'm expecting a total redesign.
  • Reply 270 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I don't think so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Yeah, after all this 'stunning new enclosure' stuff, I'm expecting a total redesign.

This photoshoping is designed by eye witnesses. Tuesday probably confirm this. Face it.
  • Reply 271 of 564
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I'm just hoping this "stunning new redesign" doesn't include a 2.5" hard drive to make it a little thinner. Too much has been sacrificed for vanity's sake already.
  • Reply 272 of 564
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

No, that's incorrect. If one is not replying/commenting on any of the posts above, then click one of the Quick Reply icons. Otherwise the reader will have no idea what the current poster is replying to when using the Quick Reply icon.
  • Reply 273 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm just hoping this "stunning new redesign" doesn't include a 2.5" hard drive to make it a little thinner. Too much has been sacrificed for vanity's sake already.

Eye witnesses says it is just about 2cm (1inch!) thin! I hope they have bad estimate, cause if no... good bye 3.5" HDD
  • Reply 274 of 564
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    I'd wager (as many have) ... new 20" and 24" iMacs (obviously), the 17" iMac and Mac mini terminated, and possibly a new 12" under-3lb. laptop.

Wild, tin-hat idea? Maybe some very new "computer" the size of the 60GB iPod (or that may be as late as MWSF08).

Oh, iLife and iWork 08 as well next week.

PS. Santa-Rosa chipped MacBooks not until Paris at least. Not next week.

Quote:

Nope. The base goes into the bottom of the computer, not behind it. Bad Photoshop work.
  • Reply 275 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

I'd wager (as many have) ... new 20" and 24" iMacs (obviously), the 17" iMac and Mac mini terminated, and possibly a new 12" under-3lb. laptop.

You're wrong, Mini will continue with new CPU.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Nope. The base goes into the bottom of the computer, not behind it. Bad Photoshop work.

I said it's photoshoped design by eye witnesses. Hold on Tuesday.
  • Reply 276 of 564
    Quote:

The chipset used in the Mac Pro allows something like 42 PCIe lanes, so Apple could in theory have dual x16 if they wanted to. Instead, they have the (pretty freaking awesome) lane-switching thing that basically lets you have a x16, an x8, and 2 x4s. Mac Pros also spend PCIe lanes on Airport, Bluetooth, and Firewire.

Also some are used for the chipset to chipset link with some of the lanes coming off of chipset 2. With AMD dual cpus systems each chip set had a full link to the cpus and firewire is on the pci bus in the mac pro.

Quote:

Joe_the_Dragon, I don't know why you haven't figured this out in the last 12-14 months when people here have been explaining it to you patiently: the Mac Pro is a workstation, not a gaming computer. It uses workstation parts like Xeons and FB-DIMMs because it's designed for workstation tasks. Specifically, FB-DIMMs offer massive bandwidth improvements (they're quad channel after all) and capacity improvements (8+ DIMM slots instead of 4 DIMM slots)

You get the same # of channels with a amd dual cpu system and they use cheaper and less power sucking ddr2 ecc or ddr2 with the 4x4 system.

Quote:

And the PCIe is set-up the way it's set up because aside from the GPU, most workstations use cards that require on x8 or x4 connections, like Fibre Channel cards or RAID cards. That way, instead of being able to have a GPU and 1 Fibre Channel card, the Mac Pro can have a GPU, FC card, and 1-2 RAID cards.

You can have 2 full x16 GPUs, with 2 x8 slots and 2 x4 lanes used in some boards for on board hardware SAS raid and for the pci-e to pci-x chip in a AMD system.

Quote:

BIOS cards have no video in the boot screen on Macs because EFI can have its own device drivers, whereas BIOS is more limited. EFI also supports a shell, whereas BIOS is again more limited. The only thin BIOS has EFI beat on is GPU support, and when you get down to it, video card manufacturers are supposedly going to start supporting EFI as well this generation or next.

The only "laptop part" the iMac uses is the processor. Actually, seeing as Intel sells a 800 MHz FSB desktop line with models at iMac speeds, the only "laptop" thing about the iMac is the socket, not the processor. You're complaining about the arrangement of the pins in the socket. The GPU in all the iMac models is a desktop GPU. They use x1600s and GeForce 7300s and 7600s, which are mid-range to mid-low desktop parts. There's no evidence that Mobility Radeons or Geforce Go cards are used. Or is your logic that any card that doesn't end in -800 or -900 a laptop card?

iMac don't have a lot of room for the higher end videos and if the newer ones are smaller then that makes it even less likely to be able to fit them with needing a lot of fans.

Quote:

And size isn't going to be much of a factor for iMac video cards. They'll still be able to fit a GF 8600 or 8400 pretty easily in there. In fact, BFG has a 8600 GTS with a single-slot fan. Not a bad card for a consumer machine.

• Reply 277 of 564
    How cheap do you ppl think the 20incher imac will get?
  • Reply 278 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick12945 View Post

How cheap do you ppl think the 20incher imac will get?

Not much. Probably just better spec for the same price.
  • Reply 279 of 564
    The price might come down a little due to lower LCD/RAM prices, but I would not expect that big of a drop.

Welcome to AI!
  • Reply 280 of 564
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

1997 20th Anniversary Macintosh

Ugly isn't it.

If they put out a 20th Anniversary machine in 1997, then they might put out a 30th anniversary machine in 2007. Hey, it's 2007 right now. Hey, there's a special annoucement next week. Hmmmmm......... what could it be.....