Newton Rises Again?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While trolling around for the names of the upcoming products I found out that Apple is mirroring their website on www.newton.com. Not just a link...Mirroring. Now why would they be using the name of one of their old defunct products to test out a whole web server? Has this always been there? How about some of their other old, defunct products? Quadra? No. MacDuo? No. That's just some guy who L-O-V-E-S Ibiza. I think there will be new iMacs at the event next week, no doubt, but I think the shocker, the one more thing, the mindblower will be a small OSX tablet, with detachable keyboard and multitouch interface, and Steve will call it Newton, with a wry smile, because he canceled the project the FIRST WEEK he was back in the drivers seat at Apple. The reality distortion field will go into overdrive and the press, already bored with the iPhone will once more bow to the hypnotic power of the new, improved Newton Macintosh Tablet Computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    That's very, very odd. As you said, they're not just redirecting to apple.com (as with ipod.com and iphone.com) - you can actually visit http://www.newton.com/itunes/download/.

My guess is that this is an old "mirror" (probably not a real mirror, just a url parser thingamajigger of some sort). I really, really don't see them a) doing a tablet b) naming it Newton c) mirroring the site for that reason instead of just redirecting.

Good investigative work, but I don't think your prediction will come true
  • Reply 2 of 24
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kentokenzo View Post

and Steve will call it Newton, with a wry smile, because he canceled the project the FIRST WEEK he was back in the drivers seat at Apple. The reality distortion field will go into overdrive and the press, already bored with the iPhone will once more bow to the hypnotic power of the new, improved Newton Macintosh Tablet Computer.

Well that would be ironic...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    I don't think this is anything special. The same thing happens with eworld.com.

http://www.eworld.com/iphone/
  • Reply 4 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

My guess is that this is an old "mirror" (probably not a real mirror, just a url parser thingamajigger of some sort). I really, really don't see them a) doing a tablet b) naming it Newton c) mirroring the site for that reason instead of just redirecting.

Registrant:

\tApple Inc.

\t(DOM-409986)

\t1 Infinite Loop

\tCupertino,

\tCA

\t95014

\tUS

Domain Name: newton.com

\tRegistrar Name: Markmonitor.com

\tRegistrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com

\tRegistrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:

\tApple Inc.

\t(NIC-14211600)

\tApple Inc.

\t1 Infinite Loop

\tCupertino,

\tCA

\t95014

\tUS

\t[email protected]

\t+1.4089744286

\tFax- +1.4089741560

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:

\tKenneth Eddings (KE557)

\t(NIC-14639716)

\tApple Inc.

\t1 Infinite Loop M/S 60-DR

\tCupertino

\tCA

\t95014

\tUS

\t[email protected]

\t+1.4089744286

\tFax- -

Created on..............: 1994-Apr-04.

Expires on..............: 2008-Oct-28.

Record last updated on..: 2007-Jul-20 13:28:02.

Domain servers in listed order:

NSERVER.APPLE.COM\t\t

NSERVER2.APPLE.COM

Yeah it is an old domain created back in '94. I hope they will use the name again though and that it's for a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by details

I don't think this is anything special. The same thing happens with eworld.com.

http://www.eworld.com/iphone/

Sure but Apple own the newton.com domain. Why would they keep the domain active and pointing to their site when they don't sell newtons? Could it really generate that many click-throughs?

Maybe we'll find out Tuesday.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    They could be using it as a running backup. It saves down-time if something goes wrong on one site, they change the IP number on the other server and you have an instant site restore while you rebuild the other server from a backup. Sure they probably have hardware redundancies on Apple.com like multiple servers on a cluster running the same copy of the site, but that only helps if you have a hardware failure, it doesn't help if a hacker gets in or if someone there messes up and the error is automatically mirrored, making the software go down on that hardware cluster. They could loose millions in transactions if their site goes down for a few hours due to a software issue.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

They could be using it as a running backup. It saves down-time if something goes wrong on one site, they change the IP number on the other server and you have an instant site restore while you rebuild the other server from a backup. Sure they probably have hardware redundancies on Apple.com like multiple servers on a cluster running the same copy of the site, but that only helps if you have a hardware failure, it doesn't help if a hacker gets in or if someone there messes up and the error is automatically mirrored, making the software go down on that hardware cluster. They could loose millions in transactions if their site goes down for a few hours due to a software issue.

This is true, however the use of the Newton domain, rather than something more generic such as mac.com does raise some suspicion about the above scenario.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

This is true, however the use of the Newton domain, rather than something more generic such as mac.com does raise some suspicion about the above scenario.

mac.com is for dot mac.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    only thing that makes the aug 7 event slightly more interesting in the 1 more thing column is that it's 10 years since the whole bill gates as big brother screen thing. so it might just be personal satisfaction to 10 years later release something that redefines.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

only thing that makes the aug 7 event slightly more interesting in the 1 more thing column is that it's 10 years since the whole bill gates as big brother screen thing. so it might just be personal satisfaction to 10 years later release something that redefines.

\...Rename the iPhone, Newton!!! No thats a bad idea hmmm...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    For a few dollars a year domain registration fee, Apple gets all kinds of free publicity as the rumor mills try to parse out what the true meaning of the domain is.

Steve's laughs alone are worth that to those guys, so they will keep doing it for a very long time. Not to mention it helps protect the trademarks too.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

mac.com is for dot mac.

Yes I know. It was an example.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kentokenzo View Post

While trolling around for the names of the upcoming products I found out that Apple is mirroring their website on www.newton.com. Not just a link...Mirroring. Now why would they be using the name of one of their old defunct products to test out a whole web server? Has this always been there? How about some of their other old, defunct products? Quadra? No. MacDuo? No. That's just some guy who L-O-V-E-S Ibiza. I think there will be new iMacs at the event next week, no doubt, but I think the shocker, the one more thing, the mindblower will be a small OSX tablet, with detachable keyboard and multitouch interface, and Steve will call it Newton, with a wry smile, because he canceled the project the FIRST WEEK he was back in the drivers seat at Apple. The reality distortion field will go into overdrive and the press, already bored with the iPhone will once more bow to the hypnotic power of the new, improved Newton Macintosh Tablet Computer.

"M [Walt Mossberg]: A lot of people think given the success you've had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA.

J [Steve Jobs]: There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it's going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already. "And people accuse us of niche markets." I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out . We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices. We believe that mode is what cell phones need to get to. We chose to do the iPod instead of a PDA."

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/06/05.9.shtml

The question is, how often does Steve change his mind? I've read another long article where a large Corporate client practically begged Apple to make a tablet and he said no. My conclusion is that there is no way a tablet is forthcoming from Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

"M [Walt Mossberg]: A lot of people think given the success you've had with portable devices, you should be making a tablet or a PDA.

J [Steve Jobs]: There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it's going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already. "And people accuse us of niche markets." I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out . We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices. We believe that mode is what cell phones need to get to. We chose to do the iPod instead of a PDA."

The question is, how often does Steve change his mind? I've read another long article where a large Corporate client practically begged Apple to make a tablet and he said no. My conclusion is that there is no way a tablet is forthcoming from Apple.

Seeing as how Steve is saying that Apple won't make a tablet or a phone in practically the same sentence, not really a strong indicator of future plans.

Having said that, I agree that Apple is unlikely to bring a tablet to market until there is further evolution of the enabling technology. The iPhone is the tablet/Newton for now.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Seeing as how Steve is saying that Apple won't make a tablet or a phone in practically the same sentence, not really a strong indicator of future plans.

Having said that, I agree that Apple is unlikely to bring a tablet to market until there is further evolution of the enabling technology. The iPhone is the tablet/Newton for now.

But he also says, "We believe cell phones are going to carry this information." So I don't think it's fair to say that he was completely dismissing the idea at that time.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

That was back in '03 though. Maybe they didn't know about multi-touch possibilities. It won't be a tablet anyway because tablets use a stylus. That's what their marketing will say.

Tablets used to be niche because they didn't appeal to anyone with the tech they had - same with smartphones really. They now have much better processors and screen technology and more refined ways to interact with the computer.

The big question to me is price. Now they managed to fit a 480x320 touch screen onto a phone running OS X that costs just $500 and they had 40%? profit margin on it. They just need a screen 3 times the resolution and it'll go nicely on top of a Macbook or MBP. It would make sense to make it a MBP so they have a higher price point to play with.

I don't see it happening but you never know with Apple these days. Tablets are becoming stronger in the education market and Apple like that market.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That was back in '03 though. Maybe they didn't know about multi-touch possibilities. It won't be a tablet anyway because tablets use a stylus. That's what their marketing will say.

Tablets used to be niche because they didn't appeal to anyone with the tech they had - same with smartphones really. They now have much better processors and screen technology and more refined ways to interact with the computer.

The big question to me is price. Now they managed to fit a 480x320 touch screen onto a phone running OS X that costs just $500 and they had 40%? profit margin on it. They just need a screen 3 times the resolution and it'll go nicely on top of a Macbook or MBP. It would make sense to make it a MBP so they have a higher price point to play with.

I don't see it happening but you never know with Apple these days. Tablets are becoming stronger in the education market and Apple like that market.

Good points. I'm a little less sure that there won't be an Apple tablet than I was before.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He also said no to flash based iPods, and no to video iPods. Within a year of each statement we had both.

I suppose that makes it CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    If Apple is working on a new product with functionality X, and someone from the press asks Steve "Is Apple working on X product" do you really think he will get the interest of the competition by admitting it? It's almost guaranteed that if Steve denies it, Apple is working on it.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.