Apple developing configurable multi-touch gesture dictionary

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Another great man to whom we owe a lot said "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

Excellent and appropriate quote.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You can see how a multi-touch display work surface could work in the 1992 StarFire video made while Tog was at Sun.

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/

All I could think of while watching that was that I wouldn't want to go near her touch screen after she's been sneezing all over it and her hands.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Middle finger?

You just HAD to go and say it!

• Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe it will catch on in a similar way. I personally hope that there's a way to get decent, useable & affordable multitouch on a computer, but we've had drawing tablets, touch screens and tablet computers for a long time and those haven't caught on, the mouse has. A person that's made the same prediction about the four devices would have been right three out of four times.

Right now, we need to see a "killer app" in order to get it accepted on the personal computer. I am more sure that the world will accept it on handhelds more than I am that the world will accept it on notebooks and desktop computers.

Anyway, hopefully multitouch catches on, that it surmounts enough of the the issues that prevented the older revisions from catching on. Right now, it's hard to say. Stuff like the patent discription gives me some amount of hope, but I can't just stop being realistic. I can see the vision, but I know that sometimes visions don't catch on.

For most people drawing tablets are an unnecessary expense and complication. Touch screens are also expensive. Tablet computers have all been ahead of their time, way ahead.

The mouse is cheap.

Cost is the biggest factor in many technologies.

The technology for touch screens have become much more sophisticated, and cheaper. That, more than anything else will determine whether we will see them on computer screens.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

All I could think of while watching that was that I wouldn't want to go near her touch screen after she's been sneezing all over it and her hands.

Would you rather use a keyboard and mouse, or trackball, someone has been sneezing all over?

I would go for the screen. A quick wipe with a screen cleaning cloth and spray would fix it. How does one really clean a keyboard and mouse or trackball quickly and easily?
  • Reply 66 of 69
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Maybe touchscreen will be figured out at some point, but I'm not convinced we are at that point now.

To me the big advantage of a mouse is the fact that your hand and wrist only have to move a few inches to move a the curser across 17, 24, or 30 inches of screen. With touch screen your hand has to literally move over that entire real estate. The cool factor would wear thin quickly and your hand, wrist, and arm would become fatigued.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

With touch screen your hand has to literally move over that entire real estate. The cool factor would wear thin quickly and your hand, wrist, and arm would become fatigued.

I agree with your hand, wrist, and arm becoming fatigued, also your hand will be a lot further from the keyboard than it would be for a mouse. But the cool factor fading, well I have to disagree.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sure they never said the word "desktop" but does that really matter?

Yes, because AppleInsider copied the text from the patent but missed the word 'Desktop'.

Here's what the patent actually states...

"The computer systems can include, desktop computers, tablet computers, notebook computers, handheld computers, personal digital assistants, media players, mobile telephones, and the like."

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20070177803

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I think what you are missing is that while they mention computer they don't mention monitors because that's not the part that's getting the touch-screen, it's the keyboard that's getting the touch-screen.

No. What you're missing is that this patent isn't about touch screens at all. It's about a dictionary application that links gestures to actions. Whilst it includes multi-touch devices it also includes sign language and voice commands. This is a software patent, not hardware.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

No. What you're missing is that this patent isn't about touch screens at all. It's about a dictionary application that links gestures to actions. Whilst it includes multi-touch devices it also includes sign language and voice commands. This is a software patent, not hardware.

Agreed. More functionality for the iPhone, and a Fingerworks style device built into laptops, and bundled with desktop macs.