What is this Santa Rosa you keep talking about?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry for my ignorance but Ive been a member here for a bit and just bought a MacBook Pro 2.4, 17" with 4GB Ram, and 160GB@7200RPM HD. Now I've heard lots of people talking about this Santa Rosa notebook..... do I have one? Whats the difference? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Yes you have one. Here's more info on what the name refers to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrin...orm_.282007.29

To you it probably means very little, slight performance improvement, lower power consumption, the ability to use 4GB Ram instead of just 3GB.

The biggest updates in the latest MBP were the new graphics chips and LED screens.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    I'm confused about this; would it be reasonable to say that a notebook only "officially" has Santa Rosa if it has the enhanced Core 2 Duo, the Crestline chipset, *and* the Intel X3100? (Since that's what's called for in the spec?)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rampancy View Post

I'm confused about this; would it be reasonable to say that a notebook only "officially" has Santa Rosa if it has the enhanced Core 2 Duo, the Crestline chipset, *and* the Intel X3100? (Since that's what's called for in the spec?)

I think so. Apple has never officially followed anything though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Sorry for my ignorance but Ive been a member here for a bit and just bought a MacBook Pro 2.4, 17" with 4GB Ram, and 160GB@7200RPM HD. Now I've heard lots of people talking about this Santa Rosa notebook..... do I have one? Whats the difference? Thanks in advance.

You have an AWESOME laptop. That's all you need to know. It is the latest and greatest. For any 17" Macs. It *is* the Santa Rosa stuff we are obsessing about, though now "officially" "official Santa Rosa".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rampancy View Post

Nah, I would disagree. This is probably just a left out word or two. Or did you forget that this is wikipedia?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.