Anybody know what the story is with the Glasgow Apple Store?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Every web page I have found regarding the Glasgow Apple retail store states that it will be open by July 2007. It's now August, and I've heard no annoucement - anybody know what the story is? I'm in Ireland, and until Apple decides to open shop in Dublin or Belfast, Glasgow would be the handiest for me to get to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Anybody know what the story is with the Glasgow Apple Store?

Sure, Apple doesn't give a shit about Europe.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Every web page I have found regarding the Glasgow Apple retail store states that it will be open by July 2007. It's now August, and I've heard no annoucement - anybody know what the story is? I'm in Ireland, and until Apple decides to open shop in Dublin or Belfast, Glasgow would be the handiest for me to get to.

Phizz it's coming it's going to be the worlds first McApple store.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sure, Apple doesn't give a shit about Europe.

Yeah their priorities seem a bit odd.

For example, here are the populations of a few cities in the US which have an Apple Retail Store:

Lyndhurst, Ohio: 16,000

Oak Brook, Illinois: 9,000

Lone Tree, Colorado: 6,000

And here are the populations of a few cities in Ireland/UK, which do not have Apple Retail Stores:

Dublin: 1,045,000

Belfast: 579,000

Edinburgh: 449,000

Liverpool: 447,000

Newcastle: 190,000

Cork: 190,000

Hmmm... Now I'm no retail expert, but wouldn't Apple make a hell of a lot more money by opening more stores in Europe?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

For example, here are the populations of a few cities in the US which have an Apple Retail Store:

And here are the populations of a few cities in Ireland/UK, which do not have Apple Retail Stores:

Dublin: 1,045,000

Belfast: 579,000

Edinburgh: 449,000

Liverpool: 447,000

Newcastle: 190,000

Cork: 190,000

Hmmm... Now I'm no retail expert, but wouldn't Apple make a hell of a lot more money by opening more stores in Europe?

If you just take three European countries; Germany 82,000,000 France 64,000,000 and Spain 45,000,000. None of those people have access to a real Apple store with all the products to try out. Italy now has 1 store, and that's only there recently. Other than that it's just England right now, it is just beyond a joke, completely. Just look at Russia, 145,000,000. Do the words "wake up" mean anything?

Europe has 54 countries with a population of about 730,000,000 people, with only stores in two of its countries, you have to ask yourself what the heck is Apple up to. If we just pretend for a moment that one store in the north of Italy is enough for that country and the other stores is enough for all the residents of England, then that's only 109,000,000 covered. That's still 621,000,000 left out in the cold, over double the U.S. populous. I think someone should tell Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

Lyndhurst is outside of Cleveland with a metro population of 2.2 million (1990)

Oak Brook is outside of Chicago with a metro population of 9.5 million.

Lone Tree is outside of Denver with a metro population of 2.4 million.

I'm going to guess that those three cities are bedroom communities for the affluent of those three cities.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Lyndhurst is outside of Cleveland with a metro population of 2.2 million (1990)

Oak Brook is outside of Chicago with a metro population of 9.5 million.

Lone Tree is outside of Denver with a metro population of 2.4 million.

I'm going to guess that those three cities are bedroom communities for the affluent of those three cities.

I kind of figured that would be the case, but the numbers look good in my argument, don't they? It would indeed be odd if Apple opened a store in a remote town of 6,000 people.

But if you are talking metro populations (i.e. including catchment areas), then I've also grossly understated the populations of the Euro cities.

Anyway, regarding the Glasgow store, I did end up finding a post on another forum that said the staff are in training for the first couple weeks of August and it should be open after that (still no definite date though).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I live in Glasgow and know a few folks who applied for jobs at the store.

Last I heard, they'd hired some people to start in "august or september." I seem to remembered some work being done on the store last time I went by but I often don't pay it much attention. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back. *puts digicam in bag*
  • Reply 9 of 12
    You're right, mydo, at least about the Lyndhurst Store - it serves all of Northeast Ohio with the next closest Apple Store in Columbus (about 2 hrs away), so it's not fair to just look at the population of Lyndhurst. To be honest, I didn't even know Lyndhurst existed until that shopping center opened up there, because it's tucked in between several other (much larger) cities.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    This is Agent Orange with an intelligence update!

This is the photo i took yesterday. It shows some kind of external construction work but when I got closer I noticed that black screens bad been erected on the inside in front of the windows. Something is certainly afoot.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Wellll? Has anyone been yet?

I went on opening day (towards the end of the day actually). I'm REALLY impressed with it
  • Reply 12 of 12