iPhone Touch Screen Dead Spots

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Just started noticing a couple of dead spots i.e. areas of the screen that do not respond accurately to touch on my iPhone ... wondering if anyone else is having the same experience.

This seems like a new problem that may have started with the last software update. (Note, by dead I don't mean areas that don't light up -- just areas where the touch screen isn't responsive)

Specifically, the first bookmark in the bookmarks bar in Safari seems to be non-responsive, defaulting instead, when touched, to the bookmarks button above, instead of the bookmark itself (hope this makes sense)

Also, noticing the same issue with Notes. The first note requires multiple taps before it is highlighted and even then, it takes a long time to load.

Other applications, such as stocks, YouTube videos, etc. seem fine when tapped in that same area.

I think this make be an application specific problem as opposed to hardware but would be great to find out if you're having the same problem.

I've had the iPhone for over a month and did not have (or perhaps notice) this issue despite heavy use ....

Thanks, for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Just tried mine. Works everywhere. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    maniclamanicla Posts: 10member
    Went to the Apple Store yesterday. They said to restore the software on the phone and see if it helps. But no luck. Judging from the lack of posts I'm guessing I am the only one facing this issue. Bummer.

Going to go back to the store and see what my options are.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    lermallermal Posts: 9member
    I am having this issue as of last night. The entire bottom row of buttons - Phone, Mail, Safari, and iPod - are non-responsive. I can barely move the slider when my iPhone is locked. Seems the dead spot ends at the very top of the bar, so I can still unlock. I tried everything from powering on/off, to resetting, to restoring and still nothing. I have an appt. at my local Apple store for help later tonight.

There is a thread about this topic as well on Macrumors....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4004709

(Mods, sorry if the above link is not allowed. This is my second post and couldn't find any rules against not posting links to other boards)
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Thanks for your post -- I was starting to think I was the only one with this issue until I saw all the postings on Macrumors.

So to follow-up:

Went back to the Apple Store yesterday as planned.

They took it in for repair and gave me a loaner and charged me $30. Not sure how to tell which series the phone is, 5 or 7, but from the other forums it sounds as though that may be a factor. I can't imagine this is something that is easily repairable so think they might send me a new one ...

Either way it is a bummer on what is otherwise an amazing little device.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    lermallermal Posts: 9member
    No worries. I've been lurking on this board for a while and figured it was time to contribute.

I took my iPhone back to my local Apple store today as well. After speaking to someone at 1-800-My-iPhone, I was under the impression they were going to exchange it (she told me to (1) bring everything with me including the box, charger, etc and (2) make sure they take my SIM card and put it in the new iPhone - did they tell you this or did they just take your iPhone???). When I showed up for my appointment, the store didn't even have any iPhones!!! The genius also told me they weren't going to replace my iPhone only give me a loaner, needless to say I was quite pi****. Now, I have to wait till tomorrow to go to another Apple store to get a loaner and pay the $30.

Agree with your comment about it being a bummer & will keep you posted.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    They said they were going to send it in for repair but it seems, from the other forum, that they are not able to repair this issue and are instead replacing the phone. I have my fingers crossed, I think getting a new one as a replacement will be better than a repaired one ... Will keep you and others posted on progress here as well.

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Same thing is happening to me. A search on the Apple forums reveals multiple threads about this prob:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=4937730?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=5073882?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=4900213?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=4848794?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=4922904?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=4829814?

I absolutely adore this phone, but this is very disconcerting. Hope Apple gets to the bottom of this, b/c it could be the phone's Achilles Heel.

Spoke to a rep at 1800MYIPHONE and she issued a case # with a note saying not to charge me for a loaner when I take my phone in for service at the local Apple store.

My phone's serial # starts with 7S7, model MA712 - don't know if this makes it the 7 series...?

But what took my breath away is when I described in detail the nature of the problem, she said, "yes that is very familiar to me." Wow. I hope the engineers are on top of this.

Just thought that if Apple does eventually come out with a cheap iPhone "Nano," they could very easily offer that phone for free as a loaner, and the reg iPhone for $29.95. After all, I just want to be able to make and receive calls while it's being repaired. I can live without the bells and whistles for a few days.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Well, here is my update to my previous post above - which has a happy ending....

I took my phone in yesterday to the Clarendon store in Arlington, VA after taking into the Pentagon City store initially (which is also Arlington, VA). After explaining the problem in detail - showing the dead spot and that I followed all steps on the Apple support website from restart to restore - to the Genius in the Clarendon store, they gave me the impression that they were going to give me a loaner and send mine in for repair. But I pushed back a bit after the Genius helping me said, "I only need your iPhone to send back" by saying, "The girl at 1-800-my-iphone told me to bring in everything and give it to you" and with that gave him my iPhone box with all contents. He then said "let me go get you a new iPhone" and with that brought back a new one and did an exchange, so I wound up getting a new one.

Now, I am one of those people that writes down all information from a support call in case of situations like this and by being able to cite what the phone analyst told me which was (1) bring back everything including box and (2) make sure they put your SIM into your new phone, I received a new phone. I don't know if it sheer luck I got a new one (as I have had it since they were released) or it is because Apple is aware of the problem.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lermal View Post

Now, I am one of those people that writes down all information from a support call in case of situations like this and by being able to cite what the phone analyst told me which was (1) bring back everything including box and (2) make sure they put your SIM into your new phone, I received a new phone. I don't know if it sheer luck I got a new one (as I have had it since they were released) or it is because Apple is aware of the problem.

It looks like you have a pretty good system for doing this. I tend to forget to record this sort of thing.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Seems like the problem is finally becoming public knowledge and Apple is dealing with it expediently. My loaner is working perfectly but it is day 4 and I would love to hear back from Apple on the repair/replacement. I will probably also ask for a refund on the $29 I paid for the loaner seeing as how other Apple Stores have not charged others for this issue ...

Been a loyal user (and promoter among my friends and family) of their computers and laptops since 1986 and this is the first time I've had any issue with something from Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    While it's great to get a new phone, I personally feel more comfortable having Apple fix my phone. I would figure they have the most updated parts when these things come in for repairs.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I've been getting the dead spot issue myself... at first I thought it was a fluke, I couldn't call the 2nd person down in my favorites without a struggle... other screens seemed to work ok tho. Now it seems to be spreading... I couldn't call #2 or #3 on my favorites today, couldn't get into my 2nd email account, and couldn't get back to the beginning of the movie i was playing to save my life in ipod mode... went to the end and back but the time bar got stuck at about 1/8 of the way in. I couldn't type in a D to save my life with the on screen keyboard in landscape mode to save my life either.

I've got an appointment this evening at the Apple store... hopefully they'll sort me out. I have my old crappy Sony Ericsson phone I'll probably use while it's away but I'm not sure how the voicemail will play out.

edit: I've had my iPhone since 6/29 and it's been a trooper otherwise since then.

edit: so I made it to the Apple store and they swapped me out then and there. Very cool deal, I showed the genius exactly the issue I had and he said it should have to go to the depot, but he didn't want to send me home with no phone, so he grabbed another one then and there. I was a little concerned to not have my phone for a trip I'm going on in a couple weeks, so that definitely puts my mind at ease.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Picked up my iPhone yesterday after calling the support number on the paperwork and was told the *repaired* iPhone had been delivered to the store. Turns out they replaced it with a new one (serial number beginning with 7T7 ... previous was 7R7). It was easy to re-activate and restore with iTunes, etc. so all is good.

My only gripe is with the $29 fee Apple charged for the loaner. Apple it seems is replacing all the iPhones that have this issue so it doesn't seem right for them to charge a loaner fee and make you go through the whole repair/loaner fee/replace charade ... Their policy also seems inconsistent judging from other posts on the forums.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    I'm a bit disappointed with Apple's customer service myself. I called them on Monday (yes it was labor day) and they didn't mail out the loaner phone (which they tried to charge me $29 for) until today (Thursday). This means I've gone Sunday through at minimum Friday without being able to DIAL A FREAKING PHONE NUMBER. The phone was exactly 21 days old when the screen messed up.

Now they of course top off my frustration with the 8GB phone being sold for $100 less than I paid for the 4GB phone. I don't think I'd be as disappointed over the price drop if I hadn't been the butt of all iPhone jokes due to a 21 day old $600 non-telephone
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Hi. This problem has happened to me as well. After 6 days of use!

Is there no way to fix this without sending the phone back?

I live in Norway, and shipping it to USA takes a while.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    If you have an unlocked iPhone, as I'm assuming you must in Norway, be careful sending it back. I have heard that Apple is not too friendly to unlockers when it comes to repairs.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

If you have an unlocked iPhone, as I'm assuming you must in Norway, be careful sending it back. I have heard that Apple is not too friendly to unlockers when it comes to repairs.

I will try to revirginize it so apple cant see it.

Its either that or not having a iPhone. Its worth a shot! ;p
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Hello petruz.

I have the same problem with my Iphone, and also do live in Norway. Did you send your phone`back to the US? If so, what/how did you do it ?

best regards
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petruz View Post

I will try to revirginize it so apple cant see it.

Its either that or not having a iPhone. Its worth a shot! ;p

Hello petruz.

I have the same problem with my Iphone, and also do live in Norway. Did you send your phone`back to the US? If so, what/how did you do it ?

best regards
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gormnass View Post

Hello petruz.

best regards

I havent done anything yet.

Trying to some for some solutions on the web.

Seems like we have to send the phones to USA and pray for the best.