Upcoming mac "ultra portables" to replace macbooks?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Hey all,

I think on the one hand the average consumer WANTS portable. But do ALL the average consumers want to sacrifice the optical drive and larger screen? I think a 12" screen with no optical drive would be pretty useless for a pro user. Unless they just wanted it to surf the web and check email with(which they can do on their iphones or blackberrys).

Apparently you've never browsed the web on a blackberry.

While web browsing is great on an iPhone, the Blackberry browser and screen resolution are horrible. I've owned three different Blackberry phones over the last two years for work and I absolutely HATE using them to look at websites. I think my attitude is pretty common among Blackberry users.

Yes, people want a portable ultra-mobile notebook at an AFFORDABLE price point. If you keep up with things in the PC world you'll notice products like the Palm Foleo, Asus Eee PC, and Everex (Via) Nanobook. All three of these ultraportable notebooks are coming to stores before the end of the year and they're selling for between $250 and $500 (well, the Palm is supposed to start at $600 with a $100 "instant rebate" at launch).

I think you are 100 percent correct that people want portable computing solutions, even if it means no optical drive. The catch is that these solutions have to be cheap. There are plenty of ultraportable PC notebooks on the market: The Fujitsu Lifebook series, Toshiba R400 and R500, and I'm sure Apple will come out with a 12" or smaller ultraportable ... but these systems are too expensive to be really popular.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    sllsslls Posts: 13member
    This is where Apple needs to be looking. Please see the competitions entry:

Look likes Intel has set its eyes on the laptop arena! And who said only Apple produces stylish laptops. Codenamed the Intel Mobile Metro Notebook, this prototype laptop is co-designed by Intel and Ziba Design.

With a mere 0.7-inch thickness, it is crowned the thinnest laptop ever. Weighing in at just 2.25 pounds and sporting Intel speediest processor, it is not just a looker.

http://www.hiptechblog.com/2007/05/2...nest-notebook/

• Reply 43 of 46
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Old news. That was posted elsewhere in this forum months ago. Besides, it's only a prototype. Nobody knows how well it would really work in daily use. Would it overheat? Would the battery last only 2 hours? And as for the reliability of that blog, they claim it will be available by the end of the year. Since when does Intel sell laptops? It's nothing more than a technology demonstrator for Intel. They're a supplier, not a computer seller.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Old news. That was posted elsewhere in this forum months ago. Besides, it's only a prototype. Nobody knows how well it would really work in daily use. Would it overheat? Would the battery last only 2 hours? And as for the reliability of that blog, they claim it will be available by the end of the year. Since when does Intel sell laptops? It's nothing more than a technology demonstrator for Intel. They're a supplier, not a computer seller.

Note the Leopard-like grass on the Wallpaper, and the increasingly cozy relationship between Apple and Intel...
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Note the Leopard-like grass on the Wallpaper, and the increasingly cozy relationship between Apple and Intel...

And the fact that it's running vista?
  • Reply 46 of 46
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

And the fact that it's running vista?

.. just like Macbooks with Boot Camp. With this clue at the latest, it's obvious this "Intel prototype" thing is a thinly veiled cover for the next MB hardware launch!

O HI

TWAS RLY NOT INTL PRTOTYP K?

APL MACBOOK NANO. U CAN HAS IT 8/20.