boot camp and vista on a mac pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
how does vista work with boot camp as far as gaming goes. I know vista can lkill gaming on some pc's. I dont really know what im getting at but I just wanted to see if anyone has played anything on a similar set up. my mac pro has 4gb ram, 2x 3.0 xeons, and an ATI X1900

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Even on a PC, Vista gaming is rubbish. I took it off and just played my games (NeedForSpeed:MostWanted, HalfLife2, DawnOfWar) on WindowsXP2Pro. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME INSTALLING VISTA. It's rubbish, really. Bootcamp WindowsXP2Pro on your setup, friggin sweeet!!! YEAH
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I have an Octo-core 3Ghz, 4GB Ram, x1900 XT Mac Pro and I have XP and Vista installed, on Vista Home Basic I max out my refresh rate on Halo 2 Vista at 1680x1050 everything high (this game EATS fps much more than most games). As long as you have above 60 (for most monitors) it doesn't matter because that's your monitors refresh rate. From my experiences so far it seems the x1900 XT's drivers are exceptional compared to a lot of other cards for vista. If you want me to try Call of Duty, Halo, CS:S or Battlefield 2 I will to give you results but I don't have them installed (I play all my games on my XP partition except Halo 2).

Also note that any Windows OS you install with Boot Camp will only read 2 GB of ram (and 4 cores but that's what you have).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    im not really going to bother with sp2 because dx10 games are right around the corner...so yeah...i guess ill just see what happens ( i have vista ultimate)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

im not really going to bother with sp2 because dx10 games are right around the corner...so yeah...i guess ill just see what happens ( i have vista ultimate)

Anything besides Halo2? When or where are these dx10 games??????
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I like what TomsHardware says: "Remember folks: game developers would not cut their own throats by ignoring the massive DirectX 9 user base. If anyone dared to make a DirectX 10 only game, they would limit their market so severely that they'd have to struggle to make any profit at all. Therefore, even brand new PC games that feature DirectX 10 graphics will also support DirectX 9 cards for years to come." ... http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...for_the_money/

The people only stupid enough to do this, is, well, surprise surprise, MicroBollocks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

... (I play all my games on my XP partition except Halo 2)....

Bingo.