Apple hints at .Mac improvements on Tuesday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In addition to introducing new iMacs, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs may use Tuesday's media event in Cupertino to transform his company's .Mac internet service into a more compelling offering.

Several .Mac members note a new posting to the .Mac website that warns of possible service interruptions during the exact time in which Jobs will be addressing members of the media tomorrow:

Due to scheduled maintenance, .Mac members might be intermittently unable to access some .Mac services from 10am to 12pm PDT on 08/07/2007. We apologize for any inconvenience..

.Mac has been criticized by industry watchers over the years as an overpriced subscription service with low storage quotas and limited functionality. For instance, .Mac offers its paying members an e-mail storage quota that is much smaller than that of free services such as Google's Gmail.

While some have called upon Apple to lower its $99 annual fee for the service, others have taken matters into their own hands by issuing a $10,000 dollar bounty aimed at funding a GPL replacement for the service, dubbed the "notMac Challenge."

Apple, however, may be one step ahead.

During a recent interview, the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg held Jobs accountable for the poor state of .Mac, to which the Apple co-founder offered an interesting reply.

"I couldn't agree more [with the assessment]," Jobs confessed. "And we'll make up for lost time in the near future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    It's about bloody time!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What the majority of folks really want = a much cheaper price.

Exact same existing service = $29

More storage + same bandwidth = $49

More storage + a lot more bandwidth $99

Whatever else = bonus.

i.e. don't just don't add some stuff and features and keep the same price. People want the option of paying either $29 or getting the existing service for free. $99 for this service is a crazy rip-off. Give people options. Gmail is free, hello! We know folks at Apple read these boards here, now hows about those folks give back to their users for once. We support you Apple, through thick and thin. Here's a chance for you to show us you actually give a shit about your customers.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What the majority of folks really want = a much cheaper price.

Existing service = $29

More storage + same bandwidth = $49

More storage + a lot more bandwidth $99

Whatever else = bonus.

What do you mean by "bandwidth" in the .Mac context?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i want all .mac to be free. seriously, free integration of all your mac's and apple devices, synced.

that would be

maaaaaaybe i'd be willing to pay a little bit. i resubbed again about a month ago, but because i had slept on figuring out other free solutions. pisses me off.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    I remember something way back when the iPhone was announced that Google and Apple would be working together with .Mac to either bolster the service or get rid of it entirely and just incorporate all of Google's services instead. Not sure what's gonna happen, but I can almost guarantee that Google will play a major role.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Tomorrow is going to be a day of 's and a day of empty bank accounts...
  • Reply 7 of 61
    I think it may be related to a subscription movie service.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    biggsjmbiggsjm Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I remember something way back when the iPhone was announced that Google and Apple would be working together with .Mac to either bolster the service or get rid of it entirely and just incorporate all of Google's services instead. Not sure what's gonna happen, but I can almost guarantee that Google will play a major role.

Jobs - "We will make up for lost time"

That means . . .

On August 7th, .Mac users will receieve a full refund and special bonus for the pain and suffering. .Mac will be shut down and all users can transfer their data over to a "real" suite of services hosted by Google. Mail, Docs, Bookmarks, Storage, etc. Its all there. And for the price of FREE!
  • Reply 9 of 61
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    With new services for .Mac being added into Leopard, such as "Back to My Mac," it certainly would make sense to provide a free version to users.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Jobs - "We will make up for lost time"

That means . . .

On August 7th, .Mac users will receieve a full refund and special bonus for the pain and suffering. .Mac will be shut down and all users can transfer their data over to a "real" suite of services hosted by Google. Mail, Docs, Bookmarks, Storage, etc. Its all there. And for the price of FREE!

*Cries* I sure as hell hope so. Cause it SUCKS right now.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:

"I couldn't agree more [with the assessment]," Jobs confessed. "And we'll make up for lost time in the near future."

you better.....
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Apple will NEVER give .Mac for free. they might add some features but never for free.

.Mac is by far the worst Apple product existing right now. they better make some serious upgrade or I am not going to renew. My renewal comes up in 40 days.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    We have it all wrong here.

Its not a Mac event.

Its a "."Mac event.

• Reply 14 of 61
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Please please please give me a good reason to renew my account that expires in 11 days....
  • Reply 15 of 61
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The competition is funding a BSD licensed replacement, not GPL licensed...
  • Reply 16 of 61
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    As someone who runs his own domain server... I'd just be thrilled if they'd roll .mac *hosting* capability into MacOS X Server. Include the Sync engine for internal control of syncing on the LAN. Let iWeb hook into a .mac proxy running MacOS X Server as easily as it does .mac, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I can't imagine what Apple could offer ex-.Mac users to make them want to come back. I am so use to other services that are free. One stop shopping is not needed...

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do you mean by "bandwidth" in the .Mac context?

When you sign up for the standard .Mac account you get a monthly data transfer limit, I think it's 10GB. If you use iWeb a lot you can burn it up pretty quickly.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Please please please give me a good reason to renew my account that expires in 11 days....

As I was saying they need to lower the current price considerably. Would a new price-point of $29 per year for the same existing service make you renew?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Maybe it's just me, but I like the mac domain in my e-mail address.

It's not an exceptionally great service, but I do like the synching that comes with it. I'm hoping for more services but no transfer to google or yahoo.