Apple hints at .Mac improvements on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

Apple will NEVER give .Mac for free. they might add some features but never for free.

.Mac is by far the worst Apple product existing right now. they better make some serious upgrade or I am not going to renew. My renewal comes up in 40 days.

I agree! I do truly hope that .Mac allows for real domain name hosting to coincide with iWeb as iWeb really looks unprofessional with the obscure and long URL. And even longer with its blogs.

I want people to go to RichGetz.com and stay at RichGetz.com with all the features of iWeb and real hosting such as WebTrends.

I want to be able to pull all my .Mac information into my iWeb to create my own experience (with Apple templates of course).

I also want to be able to sign non Mac users up with .Mac accounts so I can manage websites through iWeb on .Mac servers.

If .Mac, then also iWeb (iLife) to be featured tomorrow as the two should be joined. I also want drop in scripts for iWeb for such things as forms and messaging. Yes, this can all be coded by hand quite easily, but even easier with iWeb allowing me to concentrate on what I truly love to do.

Rich

-----------------------------

My Blog
  • Reply 22 of 61
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    The thing that really bugs me about .Mac (although I do subscribe) is that when I bought my G3 iBook, the box advertised iTools as part of the package. I therefore feel very cheated at buying a computer that was supposed to have it for free. I phoned Apple, but they didn't care, and wouldn't give a suitable reason as to why I should suddenly have to pay. The only thing that changed was the storage size. We've since lost software that even iTools gave.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Whatever happens, I hope it's retroactive. We just bought a .Mac account last friggin' week!
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When you sign up for the standard .Mac account you get a monthly data transfer limit, I think it's 10GB. If you use iWeb a lot you can burn it up pretty quickly.

OK. I get it. Thanks. (I didn't realize that such a data transfer limit existed).
  • Reply 25 of 61
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

I want people to go to RichGetz.com and stay at RichGetz.com with all the features of iWeb and real hosting such as WebTrends.

I don't know why you're having that trouble. We have a sailing club site, which I used to host on my .Mac service. It's now hosted on the university site, but then and now, it only showed www.nusyc.co.uk in the address bar. Maybe you need to have a chat with your address provider. I think with us, it was an option we had to check.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

Whatever happens, I hope it's retroactive. We just bought a .Mac account last friggin' week!

Look at how Apple uses its accounting to record profits. .Mac service is added monthly to revenue, just like the iPhone. This is so they can roll out improvements without excluding any member or charging for improved services. Everyone will get the same benefits, even someone who bought in last week.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    I really have a hard time imagining .mac being compelling. Half of the appeal to a lot of the cutting edge web 2.0 technologies is that they're accessible to anyone on any platform and promote interaction. Sites like Facebook, Picasa and Panoramio are cool because they allow users to tag eachothers files with people and location tags - you can't have that level of interactivity with a product available only to Apple users.

The same problem extends to blogging in Apple's closed sandbox - it makes a lot more sense to do on a comprehensive social networking site where people go to interact with friends and contacts.

So in order to be even mildly competitive, .mac needs to be free, available to all, and boast a radically improved interface. Steve Jobs has pulled rabbits out of hats before, but that's a tall order - the coolest thing I can reasonably imagine is some kind of Google partnership with really nice perks for mac owners (perhaps more storage space and iCal/Google Calendar syncing).
  • Reply 28 of 61
    dkriebdkrieb Posts: 10member
    How about a better built in spam filter similar to spamcop which allows you to automatically report without having to forward each email.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Improvements to .Mac?

Let me guess:

- jack up the price $50 for a basic version

- you have to pay $200/year for a premium version if want to keep your email

- generous 80 MB extra space

- they'll remove the Groups feature

- maybe they'll reintroduce the anti-Virus program

- free FreeVerse game for all members

- new Garageband JamPack sampler

an upgrade like this would actually be outstanding considering .Mac's history
  • Reply 30 of 61
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    It's always shocking how many people think .Mac costs $99 per year!

Maybe if you pay FULL RETAIL at an Apple Store, but if you shop around it's 25% less in most places.

Do a Google "Product" Search for .Mac or "dotmac", and you get some as low as $72 with free shipping.

All you need is the "activation number", not the box or any of the paper.

Try ebay as well... but never, never pay $99. that's a fool's price.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkrieb View Post

How about a better built in spam filter similar to spamcop which allows you to automatically report without having to forward each email.

2nd.

I always wonder if they actually do anything with all the spam I forward to them.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericjames View Post

I really have a hard time imagining .mac being compelling. Half of the appeal to a lot of the cutting edge web 2.0 technologies is that they're accessible to anyone on any platform and promote interaction. Sites like Facebook, Picasa and Panoramio are cool because they allow users to tag eachothers files with people and location tags - you can't have that level of interactivity with a product available only to Apple users.

The same problem extends to blogging in Apple's closed sandbox - it makes a lot more sense to do on a comprehensive social networking site where people go to interact with friends and contacts.

True. Apple's sense of "blogging" is quite limited, there isn't even a way to post a response, its sense of interactivity is quite limited in comparison.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When you sign up for the standard .Mac account you get a monthly data transfer limit, I think it's 10GB. If you use iWeb a lot you can burn it up pretty quickly.

I think it would have to be a pretty popular site to eat through that with just web pages. With my own host, I only go through 2-3GB/mo for four different domains, and that's including video files.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS11 View Post

It's always shocking how many people think .Mac costs $99 per year!

Maybe if you pay FULL RETAIL at an Apple Store, but if you shop around it's 25% less in most places.

Do a Google "Product" Search for .Mac or "dotmac", and you get some as low as $72 with free shipping.

All you need is the "activation number", not the box or any of the paper.

Try ebay as well... but never, never pay $99. that's a fool's price.

Generally, retail price is a good baseline for comparison, though the difference is that Apple products are rarely discounted in any meaningful way.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

2nd.

I always wonder if they actually do anything with all the spam I forward to them.

The amount of spam I get has not declined significantly since I started doing that.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Yes, I'm almost embarrassed to say I've been a loyal .mac subscriber for a few years now.....hoping it would get better.........but it has not.

I like the .mac e-mail address, and it is good advertising for Apple. People know from that I have mac's ........If I had a dollar for every person I've helped switch, I'd have more then a few extra bucks right now....

Unless there is some impressive news tomorrow about .mac, I think this will be the last year I will have it. I said that LAST year....I mean it this time.......

Frank D.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    New .Mac and Google goodies, sans subscription, from tomorrow! That would be wonderful news!
  • Reply 38 of 61
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

2nd.

You have to "redirect", not "forward" by the way... That's what our users do and it SpamAssassin doesn't like that.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I don't see how $8.25/month is such a big deal. You're paying a premium for services that are integrated with your Mac. Of course people who are Internet/tech saavy are going to find better deals. "Free" almost always equals "Ads" (which I don't see Apple doing). Apple is trying to provide a premium service for the Mac, not to compete with web hosting services or Google. That doesn't mean they won't offer better deals, but people looking for a free lunch may as well forget about it.

The .Mac site update probably just coincides with a new version of iWork/iLife.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    I hope for some rules management tools and become mulitple mac aware. Now that I have an iPhone ALL of my rules are negated until I get home. I have to keep the home mail from autodownloading because my rules include sort based on content and sender. Once an email is out of the inbox, my iPhone can't see it. But then I get junkmail right along side of what I want to see. I hope that they resolve this by moving more of the mail management to .Mac so that no matter which machine that I sit at or iPhone I use I can get all of my mail. I think this with PUSH mail service would be absolutely brilliant and the minimum for a home run product upgrade.