help with maxtor external hard drive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey guys -

i'm trying to use a maxtor that i used with my pc on my mac pro. it didn't read when i plugged it in, and now it's saying that 'volume needs repair'. can i repair it and leave all the data intact? it also said it was 'checking hfs plus volume'. don't know if that info helps, but thought i'd put it in there. after that it says:

invalid B-tree node size.

The colume needs to be repaired

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Just hit "Repair Disk," it won't kill your hard drive. That would kinda defeat the purpose...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sheepsheep Posts: 17member
    ok i tried that, it gave me an error. says 'the underlying ask reported failure on exit' again....
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheep View Post

ok i tried that, it gave me an error. says 'the underlying task reported failure on exit' again....

Ok, that is a VERY bad error message to get, but before I tell you that you will have to reformat your harddrive, losing all the data on it, What is it formatted as right now (NTFS, HFS, FAT)? and try and see if you can save any data onto your pc from it. I am guessing that it won't read from os x but it will read from vista/xp, right?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    how do i get data from my pc to my mac? if i can do that, then that'll be easier... i'm not sure how it's formatted, it's a maxtor 300gig "one touch" model, when i first formatted it i knew nothing
  • Reply 5 of 7
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Ok, first open up Disk Utility, click the external hard drive partition. At the bottom of the window, what does "Format: _______" say?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    says mac os extended (journaled)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    So can you read/write at all on your mac? If the answer is no, you will need a program like macdrivefor your pc (free trial should be enough to fix this) to backup/save what you can, since you will need to reformat it, as some of the files that handle the way it integrates with OS X are damaged (from what I understand).