Macbook and Photoshop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm really hankering to switch to Mac; I visited the Apple Store, and a new dilemma presented itself. I'm a photographer (not a professional though), so I'll need Photoshop. The man who helped me told me two things, and I wanted to make sure they're actually true, and that he wasn't just trying to upsell me.

- He said that the Macbook wouldn't be able to run Photoshop because of its lack of a dedicated graphics card. He said that I'd need to purchase a Macbook Pro in order to run it. I understand that it'd be BETTER with the Pro (so please don't just tell me to save my money for the Macbook Pro because I'll like it better), but I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue of it working or not, versus the ease with which you can run it. I run Photoshop 7 on a computer with a 32 mb integrated card, and I haven't had any problems. So if you could help me clarify this that'd be great.

- He said that the display on the Macbook doesn't display true colors, that everything would be just a little bit off. He said I'd need some special display that is offered on the Macbook Pro in order to see true colors. Is the difference that drastic?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    This seems pretty untrue to me, I think it would run photoshop well.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Assuming you get Photoshop CS3, it runs just fine on a Macbook. The Photoshop preferences do note down what the GPU is and have a check-box for 3D acceleration, which says it's "to enhance the performance of graphic display and rendering" but this is just for 3D objects:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Phot...89DBB2362.html

So if you want to include 3D objects, a faster card would help but even the GMA is capable of supporting 3D objects, the faster card will just support more detailed ones.

AFAIK, it doesn't accelerate general tasks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slickhare

He said that the display on the Macbook doesn't display true colors, that everything would be just a little bit off. He said I'd need some special display that is offered on the Macbook Pro in order to see true colors. Is the difference that drastic?

Both the MB and MBP have 6-bit displays so neither are capable of true colors, which is what the whole class action lawsuit against Apple recently has been about:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...k-pro-displays

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=52435

The second link may point to a software issue, which would make sense as the iMac displays look quite bad too IMO and I'm sure they are 8-bit.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The second link may point to a software issue, which would make sense as the iMac displays look quite bad too IMO and I'm sure they are 8-bit.

So it's nothing to worry about? i.e. something they can fix with a software update rather than having to buy a whole new computer?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jgbxjgbx Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slickhare View Post

So it's nothing to worry about? i.e. something they can fix with a software update rather than having to buy a whole new computer?

Here's a link to a benchmark test that compares a Macbook and a Macbook Pro using Photoshop as one of the tests. Photoshop most certainly will run on a Macbook, albeit not as well. But like Marvin said, PS3 is probably recommended as it won't have to use Rosetta. And as long as you aren't adding 50 filters to a 100mb file, you should be OK.

http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html

The thing to remember with the Macbook display is that they only come in glossy, which gives you deeper blacks. This may not represent the true color in which you are working with. Either way you go, I'd recommend a color calibration software. I personally use the

Monoco OptixXR Pro.

I actually toyed with the idea of getting the Macbook over the Pro, but decided against it because 1) I do add tons of filters to large files, and 2) I prefer the matte screen to the glossy screen for graphic design work.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slickhare View Post

I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue of it working or not, versus the ease with which you can run it. I run Photoshop 7 on a computer with a 32 mb integrated card, and I haven't had any problems. So if you could help me clarify this that'd be great.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise: I can say from personal experience that photoshop will scream on a current Macbook compared to your current setup!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You got this information at the Apple store?

Hard to believe you would get such misinformation at the Apple store.

BTW, my brother in law has a MB and uses PS everyday on it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You got this information at the Apple store?

Hard to believe you would get such misinformation at the Apple store.

BTW, my brother in law has a MB and uses PS everyday on it.

I use Photoshop on both the iMac and a macbook---I much prefer the iMac---much more comfortable--better screen, better color---I do calibrate both screens---both will do Photoshop quite well---but unless you need the portablilty and are taking the laptop on photoshoots---I would certainly look at the new iMac coming out very soon.

........again for emphasis--both machines will run Photoshop very well---
  • Reply 8 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

I use Photoshop on both the iMac and a macbook---I much prefer the iMac---much more comfortable--better screen, better color---I do calibrate both screens---both will do Photoshop quite well---but unless you need the portablilty and are taking the laptop on photoshoots---I would certainly look at the new iMac coming out very soon.

........again for emphasis--both machines will run Photoshop very well---

My brother in law has an external monitor keyboard and mouse he hooks up to it when he wishes. He's got the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Last year I bought a MacBook that was (and still currently is) my main computer. I actually had to use Photoshop (CS2) for a lot of schoolwork (I was taking a digital illustration course) and like everyone has been saying, even with Rosetta, it still ran fine, no major lags or anything, and I never had the problem of it crashing.

BUT I was constantly worrying about my color, for both web and print. The colors never came out the same on my printer (major color shifts), but I'm not sure if it was the printer's fault or the color calibration/glossy screen. Luckily I could catch the color shifts before I did any printing at the print lab.

In short, a MacBook will run Photoshop (definitely CS2, CS3 if you're not doing any 3-D rendering or anything) but if you're planning on printing or publishing things, prepare to go through a lot of color calibration.

Sorry, that was a long explanation, but I hope it helped...