when is the next revamp for displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hoping to see some HDCP compliant LCD monitors before the year's end. Any ideas on an ETA?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Don't count on Apple to have quality displays. Like .Mac, the displays have really languished in the last year or two. They're double the price of the competition. I would buy from someone else, like Samsung or BenQ, since they'll use the exact same or better panels and be cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Don't count on Apple to have quality displays. Like .Mac, the displays have really languished in the last year or two. They're double the price of the competition. I would buy from someone else, like Samsung or BenQ, since they'll use the exact same or better panels and be cheaper.

Sad.... but I have to say, very very true.... it certainly wasn't always the case, Apple has (at times) wowed the market especially *back in the day* (ADC LCDs) when **lots** of Windows fan-boys were chomping at the bit wanting Apples (first?) LCD-HD display... (24-HD?)

But that was eons ago... Now a-days not only is Apple resting on their Laurels but on their Hardys too.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Sad.... but I have to say, very very true.... it certainly wasn't always the case, Apple has (at times) wowed the market especially *back in the day* (ADC LCDs) when **lots** of Windows fan-boys were chomping at the bit wanting Apples (first?) LCD-HD display... (24-HD?)

But that was eons ago... Now a-days not only is Apple resting on their Laurels but on their Hardys too.

Yeah, it's just not a market Apple is interested in, because it's low-volume and fast-updating. Those things are there because Apple hasn't gotten around to getting rid of them. They cut the prices every once in a while, but they're still overpriced.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

Hoping to see some HDCP compliant LCD monitors before the year's end. Any ideas on an ETA?

does apple even have HDCP video cards?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

does apple even have HDCP video cards?

The 8600s are HDCP-compatible, I think. It's HDCP over DVI. Basically, HDMI is DVI+audio.

The x1900s may be.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    tomorrow!, no?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    The sooner the better, but...and I could be wrong here...but I think the next refresh will be when they introduce the next MacPro, since they are products that share a somewhat tangential relationship.

I also think they are waiting for LED back light to become cheaper to field.

Then again, in 13 hours from now, we will likely be ogling the new ACD's
  • Reply 8 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    When apple runs out of stockpiled panels. As long as Mac users are willing to buy a three year old display for their compute, Apple is more than willing to sell you one.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Sigh. So far, no Cinema Display updates.

Samsung 305T

HP LP3065

I do not link to Dell products.