Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday unveiled its new line of iMac all-in-one desktops, featuring 20- and 24-inch widescreen displays encased in elegant and professional aluminum and glass enclosures.

The entire new iMac line features the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors and a new, ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard, built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing and iLife '08, making it the ultimate digital lifestyle desktop computer for both consumers and professionals.

The 20-inch iMac now starts at just $1,199, $300 less than the previous 20-inch model, and the 24-inch iMac starts at just $1,799, $200 less than the previous 24-inch model.

"This new iMac is the most incredible desktop computer we've ever made," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Our new design features the innovative use of materials, including professional-grade aluminum and glass, that are highly recyclable."

Redefining Apple's signature all-in-one design, the new iMac integrates the entire computer system into a sleek, professional aluminum enclosure for a clutter-free desktop. A glass cover joins precisely to the aluminum enclosure creating a virtually seamless front surface, similar to the company's iPhone handset.

The new iMac's 20- and 24-inch glossy widescreen displays provide incredibly crisp images, Apple said, ideal for photos and movies. Meanwhile, the new ultra-thin aluminum Apple Keyboard is just 0.33 inches thin at its front edge. A new optional Apple Wireless Keyboard is a compact design that, with Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse, offers customers a cable-free desktop.

Packing professional performance into the convenience of an all-in-one design, the new iMac includes the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors running up to 2.8 GHz with 4MB of shared L2 cache and up to 4GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory. The iMac line features ATI's next generation of graphics with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and the ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory. Each iMac also offers up to 1TB of internal storage to accommodate a user's growing library of digital photos, movies and music.

Apple also said each iMac features highly recyclable and durable materials including scratch-resistant glass and professional grade aluminum. The power-efficient iMac also meets the stringent new Energy Star 4.0 requirements, the company said.

Each iMac ships with iLife '08, the most significant update ever to Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, featuring a major new version of iPhoto and a completely reinvented iMovie, both seamlessly integrated with the new .Mac Web Gallery for online photo and video sharing. The new iMac also comes with the world's most advanced operating system, Mac OS X version 10.4.10 Tiger.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac line is available immediately through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The new Apple Wireless Keyboard will ship by the end of August and will be available as a build-to-order option with the new iMac through the Apple Store for a suggested retail price of $30 (US), or $50 (US) when purchased along with the wireless Mighty Mouse, and as a standalone purchase for a suggested retail price of $79 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new 20-inch 2.0 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US), includes:20-inch widescreen LCD display2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GBa slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpmmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone andthe new Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 20-inch 2.4 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:20-inch widescreen LCD display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GBa slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpmmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone andthe new Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 24-inch 2.4 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:24-inch widescreen LCD display2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GBa slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memorybuilt-in iSight video camerabuilt-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpmmini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately)built-in stereo speakers and microphone andthe new Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

Build-to-order options and accessories include: a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme processor, up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM and up to a 1TB Serial ATA hard drive on the 24-inch iMac; up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM and up to 750GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 2.4 GHz 20-inch iMac; and up to 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM and up to 500GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 2.0 GHz 20-inch iMac. Additional options include: new Apple Wireless Keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse; AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme Base Station (now with Gigabit Ethernet); the AppleCare Protection Plan; and pre-installed copies of iWork(TM) '08, Logic Express 7, Final Cut Express HD 3.5 and Aperture 1.5.

For photos of the new iMacs and keyboards, check out AppleInsider's photo gallery from today's Apple reception.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 433
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Just waiting to place an order...

come on!

• Reply 2 of 433
    Nice...but what about the mac mini?! There was a brief mention of it in the Q&A that it received "a refresh" but what is it? The store was up, but the link to mac mini was broken, now it went back down again.
  • Reply 3 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm very unimpressed by the graphics options. But this is apple's delusion and I don't have much option other to buy the 20" model.
  • Reply 4 of 433
    thinkthink Posts: 14member
    What's with the Radeon graphics solution?

Logistically speaking, wouldn't it be more efficient to use the same nVidia solutions as are employed in the MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 5 of 433
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Nice...but what about the mac mini?! There was a brief mention of it in the Q&A that it received "a refresh" but what is it? The store was up, but the link to mac mini was broken, now it went back down again.

* 1,83-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1 GB memory

* 80-GB

Eur 599,00

* 2,0-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 1 GB memory

* 120-GB

Eur 779,00

Specs I managed to see before store went down again, think prices will be exactly the same in Dollars
  • Reply 6 of 433
    This is very exciting. The one thing I am somewhat disappointed about is the screen resolution, but oh well, can't have everything.
  • Reply 7 of 433
    Hey folks -

Love the new iMac extremely but right now I need to get my wife a new computer and she likes the white models. Does anyone know whether Apple has a closeout center anywhere online?

Thanks,

Zach
  • Reply 8 of 433
    Apple Store is up and running. Mac Mini has been quietly refreshed. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. I'm placing my order now...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore

Store works fine for me, check out the ad for the new iMacs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/ads/

Update: Apple Store is behaving badly, I guess they're still updating it.
  • Reply 9 of 433
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachMatthews View Post

Hey folks -

Love the new iMac extremely but right now I need to get my wife a new computer and she likes the white models. Does anyone know whether Apple has a closeout center anywhere online?

Thanks,

Zach

the new imacs are white too...
  • Reply 10 of 433
    Quote:

Hey folks -

Thanks,

Zach

There is the refurb store where Apple sells refurbished models, and you can probably get a decent discount on one. A refurbished model is a model that hasn't been used before, and encountered a problem either at the store or in quality control that was fixed, so it's just as good as a new one. I can't find a link because the Apple Store is still down for some reason, but you can probably grab them at a few hundred dollars off.
  • Reply 11 of 433
    Quote:

Does anyone know whether Apple has a closeout center anywhere online?

they have a link for refurbished models on the bottom left of the page on the apple store
  • Reply 12 of 433
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Hey where's your article on the UPDATED - NOT DEAD - MINI ?
  • Reply 13 of 433
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    They look great! And up to 2.8ghz on the 24", that's awesome :-)

And the aluminum and glass looks amazing!
  • Reply 14 of 433
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Try online stores other than Apple Like MacMall and such. You'll want to call, not taking the listed price off the internet unless they have already updated it.
  • Reply 15 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

I understand what you mean, but I don't think so.
  • Reply 16 of 433
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Best you look a little closer.
  • Reply 17 of 433
    Anyway, i am kind of disappointed: i was hoping for a more revolutionary design. Not that these aren't cool, but they do look alot like the old imacs...
  • Reply 18 of 433
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    No goddamned minitower... guess I'll have to wait till next year... DAMNIT!!!
  • Reply 19 of 433
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Hey folks -

Thanks,

Zach

Zach, I just went through the same thing--my wife's iMac G4 15" died a week ago Monday; I pleaded for her to wait until today to see what the options were, but she wanted the 17" model--went to the store and she opted for the 20". Told her we might be able to get something today is she could survive the weekend, but she wanted-- rather practically and probably reasonably-- not to waste a weekend when she has a book deadline for 1 September and didn't want to take over my jazzed up macs, so... she bought the "white model" Thursday and I had it up and running for her that night. She's been really happy so I'm trying not to say ANYTHING about WMHB.
  • Reply 20 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

There is the refurb store where Apple sells refurbished models, and you can probably get a decent discount on one. A refurbished model is a model that hasn't been used before, and encountered a problem either at the store or in quality control that was fixed, so it's just as good as a new one. I can't find a link because the Apple Store is still down for some reason, but you can probably grab them at a few hundred dollars off.

I'm fairly certain that "refurbished" can also include used items returned to Apple for various reasons (eg. "not-what-I-really-wanted", "I-broke-it-fix-it-please", etc).

No matter what the reason, refurbished products are thoroughly inspected, repaired if necessary, and they're backed by the same warranty as you would get with new product.