Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 433
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

No goddamned minitower... guess I'll have to wait till next year... DAMNIT!!!

hope springs eternal Just you and me MsNly, I guess...
  • Reply 22 of 433
    I do like the new design, though I did expect them to be a lil bit more different! Every incarnation of the iMac previously has been drastically different in appearance to the earlier model... so the white it now aluminium, the screen is glossy and has a black border round it (why?!) and the back panel looks a lil different too... expected the 24in model to be sporting 2GB of RAM too, but it's one-gigs as standard across the board, crazyness...

And why have they upgraded the Mac Mini?

As for iLife and iWork, yeah they've been upgraded, good work, nothing jaw-dropping, combining the two into one product, now that would have been impressive! But sadly no... they can't give everything away!

But still, all-in-all, good work Apple, they look good, they're fast, they'll sell... game on!
  • Reply 23 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Anyway, i am kind of disappointed: i was hoping for a more revolutionary design. Not that these aren't cool, but they do look alot like the old imacs...

My thoughts exactly. Why did it take so long to change the color, add a black ring and make it a little faster? Also, is the mouse white, while the rest is alum/black? Looks like I will pick up a White iMac and match.
  • Reply 24 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Nice...but what about the mac mini?! There was a brief mention of it in the Q&A that it received "a refresh" but what is it? The store was up, but the link to mac mini was broken, now it went back down again.

Here's the new spec for the updated Mac Mini. Apple store is still down, managed to get a brief glimpse about 10 minutes ago. There is an image in engadget http://www.engadget.com/.
  • Reply 25 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

I'm fairly certain that "refurbished" can also include used items returned to Apple for various reasons (eg. "not-what-I-really-wanted", "I-broke-it-fix-it-please", etc).

No matter what the reason, refurbished products are thoroughly inspected, repaired if necessary, and they're backed by the same warranty as you would get with new product.

I've never had a significant problem with their refurbished stuff. The worst was some odd blemish on the back of the iMac stand, down the "knee" radius far enough that it's usually not noticeable, otherwise, I think it was brand-new, including the original box.
  • Reply 26 of 433
    A few things....

The new imac does not look white to me...

Also, any comments on the glossy screen? I prefer a non glossy screen, that's why I have a G4 imac and a G4 powerbook still.

I still need to check out if dot-mac is worth keeping.....no change in price.

Frank D.
  • Reply 27 of 433
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    [QUOTE=ActionJaxon;1123009 the screen is glossy and has a black border round it (why?!) [/QUOTE]

The black border helps minimize glare from the highly glare prone glossy display.
  • Reply 28 of 433
    Does this mean a Macbook pro update is nearing now? Why buy a 2.4GhZ MacBook "Pro" with 200GB HD, when the iMac has this beat by 400Mhz, and 100+ GB storage, 1 extra GB of RAM capability... the list goes on and on. They should call this thing "iMac Pro".

The 24in iMac is a GREAT deal. I was just about to buy the 17in. Macbook Pro, now I am not so certain.
  • Reply 29 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I do like the new design, though I did expect them to be a lil bit more different! Every incarnation of the iMac previously has been drastically different in appearance to the earlier model... so the white it now aluminium, the screen is glossy and has a black border round it (why?!) and the back panel looks a lil different too... expected the 24in model to be sporting 2GB of RAM too, but it's one-gigs as standard across the board, crazyness...

As for iLife and iWork, yeah they've been upgraded, good work, nothing jaw-dropping, combining the two into one product, now that would have been impressive! But sadly no... they can't give everything away!

I do wish that it didn't have the black bezel, but otherwise, it's pretty nice. I don't think it's realistic for a relatively mature product like iMac to be revolutionary on every redesign.

And the keyboard looks pretty nifty too. I remember a few people saying "mark my words, it's fake". I guess it's mostly real.

It looks like Numbers finally became a real program.

Quote:

And why have they upgraded the Mac Mini?

Why not? I don't get why it's a problem.
  • Reply 30 of 433
    I have been waiting and waiting for this announcement to replace my aging G5 iMac. But a glossy screen? Come on! I mostly use my computer for photo editing and having a glossy screen is a no no. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting a little longer until I can save up enough for a Mac Pro and a real monitor. I suppose that is what Jobs had i mind the whole time!
  • Reply 31 of 433
  • Reply 32 of 433
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Every incarnation of the iMac previously has been drastically different in appearance to the earlier model...

I'm not sure what design you guys were expecting. A different design does not necessarily make it a better computer and could certainly make it a worse computer.

Quote:

This is very exciting. The one thing I am somewhat disappointed about is the screen resolution, but oh well, can't have everything.

The 24" is 1920x1200.
  • Reply 33 of 433
    I am kinda disappointed in the new design. What is that black frame over the screen? I can't have a computer like this, it bothers my eyes. The old ones were better. Unfortunately, they again did something they think great, but it's not.

I am more excited about the applications. I will probably buy the new iLife '08.

Sometimes, I hate how Apple works. For instance, why wouldn't they put a "new tab button" on Safari? What the heck are they trying "not" to do? What prevents them from doing it? or, how about the mouse? I think they are just being stubborn and think that they be different from others this way...

Anyway... Love & Hate... My sibling feelings for Apple...
  • Reply 34 of 433
    halcyonhalcyon Posts: 36member
    jfdesign: macbook pro vs new imac

iMac is still a desktop, even if on a portable mobo+chipset. It has more room. It can run more power hungry components with higher thermal output, etc.

If you want a draggable, instead of a laptop, it is possible to make a much faster macbook pro, but that kind of defeats the purpose, no?
  • Reply 35 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've never had a significant problem with their refurbished stuff. The worst was some odd blemish on the back of the iMac stand, down the "knee" radius far enough that it's usually not noticeable, otherwise, I think it was brand-new, including the original box.

Of course. That's the way it should be, given how thoroughly they say they inspect their stuff.

I honestly don't understand where society has manufactured the idea that anything "used" must immediately be equated with "junk".
  • Reply 36 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Anyway, i am kind of disappointed: i was hoping for a more revolutionary design. Not that these aren't cool, but they do look alot like the old imacs...

Exactly what did you expect from an all in one design that has design restraints because of the equipment inside?

How much different can it be?
  • Reply 37 of 433
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfdesign View Post

Does this mean a Macbook pro update is nearing now? Why buy a 2.4GhZ MacBook "Pro" with 200GB HD, when the iMac has this beat by 400Mhz, and 100+ GB storage, 1 extra GB of RAM capability... the list goes on and on. They should call this thing "iMac Pro".

A "pro" will have little use for a glossy screen and a shit GPU.
  • Reply 38 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

jfdesign: macbook pro vs new imac

iMac is still a desktop, even if on a portable mobo+chipset. It has more room. It can run more power hungry components with higher thermal output, etc.

?

It's not a desktop, it's an all in one. Yes they both sit on the desk, but there are differences in usage and clientèle.
  • Reply 39 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachMatthews View Post

Love the new iMac extremely but right now I need to get my wife a new computer and she likes the white models. Does anyone know whether Apple has a closeout center anywhere online?

See your nearest Apple Authorised Reseller - not an Apple Store, each time a new machine is brought out the old models get their prices slashed at distribution level, so if you talk to an AAR they should be able to order in a new old-model iMac for you at a good price

Hope this helps...
  • Reply 40 of 433
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfdesign View Post

The 24in iMac is a GREAT deal. I was just about to buy the 17in. Macbook Pro, now I am not so certain.

1. The 2.8 Ghz chip is not a laptop chip. 2.4 is the best intel chip in any laptop

2. They just updated the MBP two months ago

3. It's a desktop versus a laptop. The laptop is always going to lag in terms of HD space (although I do think they were a little chincy with this revision in that regard).