Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 433
    ibradibrad Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

you G5 died already?

my G4 is still going.. i hope it doesn't die on me. i don't want these new computers

Sounded like an F-16 going off about 80% of the time after about a year of use. Then the hard drive controller got screwey. I really think I got a lemon. I am still an Apple fan--I just think I was one of the few unlucky ones. This time I didn't think twice about getting Apple Care.
  • Reply 102 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm going to try to look at it this way: The processor may be slow compared to the new 1333mhz bus desktop core 2 duos, the graphics may be very lackluster, and the slot loading DVD burner may be slow and be incompatible with 3.5" camcorder DVDs, but it does now match my card reader and the external DVD burner and 2.1 speaker set I'm going to have to buy. The lack of a BTO graphics option also saves me money by not having to upgrade to the 24"
  • Reply 103 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

oh jesus

Oh Jesus why was I created without a brain??
  • Reply 104 of 433
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I like this new "helmet" design. It's kinda eighties with the black.

This iMac will blend more subtly in the living room than the white one. It is an improvement but I will wait when they get a LED screen.
  • Reply 105 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    i never buy apple care... i never in my entire life using apple had any problems with my computers... granted i haven't been using apple for that long, but my iBook got damaged when i got hit by a car and my iMac is still working well (only the air port card is acting funky) and my powerbook is fine too...

i suppose it's down to luck... but i hope i continue to have it. however, if my iMac dies on me, i'm gonna try to shoe horn a mini inside of it. i can't let go of it whn the only replacement now if this new thing they put out today
  • Reply 106 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Everything was absolutely beautiful and what a note to end on, i.e., Steve's answer to one of the analysts question, "Is Apple’s goal to overtake the PC in market share?"

Jobs said, “Our goal is to make the best personal computers in the world and make products we are proud to sell and recommend to our family and friends. We want to do that at the lowest prices we can.

“But there’s some stuff in our industry that we wouldn’t be proud to ship. And we just can’t do it. We can’t ship junk,” said Jobs. “There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are. And we think that there’s a very significant slice of the [market] that wants that too. You’ll find that our products are not premium priced. You price out our competitors’ products, and add features that actually make them useful, and they’re the same or actually more expensive. We don’t offer stripped-down, lousy products.”
    (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08...vent/index.php)

No, they offer top quality stripped down products. I'm starting to think that little slice of reality that kept Jobs ever so slightly in the real world is slipping away.
  • Reply 107 of 433
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    What type of display do those iMacs have?

6 bit still?
  • Reply 108 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh Jesus why was I created without a brain??

to blindly purchase apple products
  • Reply 109 of 433
    Hehe!

Such a great update.

I'm surprised with Apple Store iMac models, not 3 but 4 and that makes me very but VERY HAPPY! its that the new 24" with 2.8 Intel Core 2 Extreme processors its not a build to order.

That means anyone, no matter if his/her country doenst have an Apple Store can order that beasty !!!!

Of course the 4 gigs from owc, lil saving there of $400.00

I really hopes that goes to the Mac Pro when its updated...

HaR HaR !!
  • Reply 110 of 433
    Where are the teardown photos?
  • Reply 111 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Here's something else that doesn't look good -

They have a nice new keyboard, in both wired and wireless, but NO MATCHING MOUSE!

Did I miss the mouse somewhere?

I'd hate to have an "old white mouse" with all the other nice new stuff.

I guess the white mouse matching the white keys is enough.
  • Reply 112 of 433
    Quote:

A few things....

The new imac does not look white to me...

Also, any comments on the glossy screen? I prefer a non glossy screen, that's why I have a G4 imac and a G4 powerbook still.

I still need to check out if dot-mac is worth keeping.....no change in price.

Frank D.

Please note that the screen on the new iMacs are glass. Actual glass. not plastic or acrylic. So when you press on them, they won't make colorful waves....

Aka, you can clean them (carefully) and they won't scratch as easily. Somebody will probably offer non-glare appliqués which will make everybody happy. And, like Jobs said, it's much more ecologically friendly.

Also, I don't see the reason to have a heart-attack that Apple isn't offering you the contents of the MacPro in a iMac form. Heck, I'm surprised I haven't heard people complaining that Apple isn't giving away free computers that can run Massive.

Computers are great, but....people, let's take a small reality break
  • Reply 113 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

No, they offer top quality stripped down products. I'm starting to think that little slice of reality that kept Jobs ever so slightly in the real world is slipping away.

It's refreshing to read comments from someone who hasn't fallen under the influence of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Or maybe you're just trying to be controversial. Either way, it's refreshing.
  • Reply 114 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    2 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD should be offered in both the high end models in 20" and 24"

how much is the two sticks of 1 GB RAM???

How much is the 500 GB HDD nowadays?

Design - Good (after seeing some photos from AI, chinless will be more beautiful though )

RAM size - NOT OK in both the high end models

HDD Size - NOT OK in both the high end models

GPU - not so good (not my opinion - do not know much abt GPU)

SuperDrive - Fixed

CPU - fixed - upgraded to Santa Rosa

anything?
  • Reply 115 of 433
    Feel like the new design of the iMac is a bit like what happened with BMW a few years back when they re-designed the new 5 series. A misstep. I don't like the black border and the whole thing has a slightly "cheap" feel to it. I would have prefered a black back and all brushed aluminum surface. The front now feels like some of those early cheap widescreen TVs made by Sony.
  • Reply 116 of 433
    Where is the magnetic Apple remote? Kinda clashes with the color schemes. Unless they...release a silver one!

you heard it here!
  • Reply 117 of 433
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    It's too bad they don't include a BD-RW (or at least a BD-ROM) drive. Oh well. I'm happy about everything else.

Now I just need to wait for Leopard to come out before I can buy a 24-inch iMac with all the trimmings!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Feel like the new design of the iMac is a bit like what happened with BMW a few years back when they re-designed the new 5 series. A misstep. I don't like the black border and the whole thing has a slightly "cheap" feel to it. I would have prefered a black back and all brushed aluminum surface. The front now feels like some of those early cheap widescreen TVs made by Sony.

It does look a bit odd, but I'll wait to see one in real life before I render judgement.
  • Reply 118 of 433
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

oh jesus

you can go to the apple store and buy whatever you want. but a standard apple computer doesn't ship with a wireless apple keyboard.

built to order does not equal ship with or are you gonna tell me the mac pros ship with 16gb of ram?

But that was not the point of this discussion, the point was that someone said that you need to have a wired keyboard in order to set up a wireless keyboard. That is not true as some Apple computers ship without any keyboard and you can just buy a wireless one and it works out of the box. Part of the process of setting up your new mac is pairing the keyboard and mouse, you do nt need to have a wired keyboard already in place.
  • Reply 119 of 433
    I was hoping the new cinema displays would be released. I wonder how long it will be for those. I can't work on a 15.4" screen all day long. I'm almost borderline ready to get the dell for the price point and since I need the display asap...or should I say a month ago.
  • Reply 120 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

It's refreshing to read comments from someone who hasn't fallen under the influence of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Or maybe you're just trying to be controversial. Either way, it's refreshing.

I was spoiled by the jewel that was my B&W G3. The "replacements" are either too expensive (Mac pro) or underpowered (iMac) and haven't quite matched its level of innovation or ease of upgrade. I keep hoping they'll make a modern day version with a P35 board and Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs. Then again, I've also hoped they would get over Steve's biases and just buy Elgato.